United States
SetUpEvents
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m 15s
Overall Rank = 20/189
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Stayed alone at the Best Western, brought a PB&J sandwich for bfst...sat in my stomache like a brick throughout the morning. 2 Cups of coffee..the usual. Got to the race early as usual.
Event warmup:

Rode for about 15 minutes. Ran for about 10 minutes. Swam to first buoy and back in wetsuit, decided I didn't want it, went back to transition and got my skinsuit to wear. Since this was an important race for me didn't want to risk my typical "WETSUIT PANIC ATTACK". Drank Smartwater.
Swim
  • 31m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Caught a lot of folks from previous waves, just before the finish some guy from the wave before felt the need to compete with me, and almost pulled my timing strap off my ankle. Had to stop and check it. Wanted to remind him that I was 5 minutes ahead of him as we exited the water together. Lots of testosterone on the course today...more to follow.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot, wish the wetsuit phobia wasn't such a factor.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Had to spend a little extra time restraping my timing strap since it was hanging all over the place.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 4s
  • 30 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Since moving couldn't find my large aerobottle (think its packed up), had to go with the small one so I was rationing liquid. Had one E-Gel at mile 20.

Not move twice in 4 weeks. Not have a cold just before the race. Not have a knee injury just before the end of the season. Not move to a perfectly flat area just before a hilly hilly race. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

The moving dismount is always fun, I like the volunteer's face as you come roaring up to the disomoun line waving his arms like crazy for you to get off your bike, thinking you are going to overshoot the line. Then when you run off someone in the crowd always says something like "awesome dismount". Never fails to make me smile.

I always wear socks to run, my feet were so dirty I had to wipe them off a bit. Took a little extra time.

Zip.
Run
  • 53m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

How slow can you go?? I felt like I was a turtle on those hills. Had my Garmin on so I could watch my pace but was afraid to look at it because I didn't want to get discouraged. Checked it 3 times, once at the beginning, running 7:23, once on a hill, running 10:30, and then in the last mile, running 8:15. Was really surprised to see my pace on Human Velocity afterwards.

Haven't been able to run more than 6 miles twice a week for several weeks since the knee feels shot. You can't pull off a good run if you're not going over the distance in training. But overall with all things considered with moving and being hurt and sick I can't complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight to the lake and got in to cool off. That felt awesome.

Had half a diet coke, half a bottle of water and later a hot dog!! Yay!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above, plus I think I went into this race a couple pounds off my race weight.

Event comments:

See ya next year!!

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Average
My Garmin 310XT clocked the distance as 1.65 miles, but then it loses signal sometimes when swimming.
Suit: Xterra Skinsuit
Course: I could tell that the course was long just looking at it. But everyone swims the same course so it is what it is, no biggie. Felt good on the swim, have been swimming at the Brunswick CC indoor pool and its not heated so the cold water with no wetsuit was fine. After the second turn buoy got on a girls feet for a draft for a while, but switched to another when she started swimming off course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:33:04 | 30 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Painful.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:22 | 06.21 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
Performance: Average
Course: Reverse course from last year. Felt like a death march. It was humid and warm. At mile 4 I felt a little front come through and it cooled just a bit.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-12 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2009-10-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2454819

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Post Script:

I can't remember having more men in the 50 and older catagories feeling the need to challenge me on the bike... I'd catch them, pass them then of course they'd have to pass me back... over and over and over again.   It frustrates me to no end, please race against the other men in your age group, not the women who started a minumum of 5 minutes after you, thus are ahead of you when you are side by side!  

signed,
frustrated in north carolina
2009-10-12 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
i was no match for your pace booty on the run either...

nice job on the W! also thanks for the goggle offer and for the lube!

2009-10-12 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Great race, I enjoyed reading about it. Your run split was still faster than my run split of last year (which was awesome for me!).

Maybe you need a different wetsuit?? Two things I learned from others while swimming every week at the lake: let a little water in the chest area to ease constriction. When swimming in a wetsuit, don't go for high elbows; rather, go with a wider recovery stroke. I'm still playing with that idea, not sure about it.

Totally, 100% agree with you about dudes who can't take a chic hit. I try to pass them with a little acceleration to make a point that they might as well not even bother trying to mess with me. Sometimes works

2009-10-12 6:00 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Saw you on the course and thought your form looked good, unlike most of us. Way to race. Sorry I didn't get any samples. Frown
2009-10-13 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2455974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg

Boo on not getting any samples!  I'm sorry!! 

I'm going to see Carol on Saturday, do you ever see her in the city?  I'm going to give her a bunch and maybe she can pass some along to you!

p.s.  Thank you for the support on the run!!  Nice to hear your name called out when you're suffering.

2009-10-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2455893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Carol..

I've had three or four different wetsuits and it happens with all of them.  The one I have now is even one size bigger than the charts recommend.  I think its also because I don't train in them hardly at all.  In Texas there were very few wetsuit legal swims, and I go out hard to get away from the pack and breathing hard makes it constricting.  Plus, I think its happened so often that I'm hyper aware of it and almost anticipate it happening, causing it to be worse.

Here are a few funny "Wetsuit Panic" stories:

M Florida 2002 - Water Temp around 74 degrees.  Started the swim on the second row, got trampled going past the breakers by the run fast then swim slow men, panic... unzipped the wetsuit and swam the first half with the darned thing unzipped to the waist.  Knew I'd look like a kook if I ran up and around the sand for the second swim loop with it unzipped, so I zipped it up in the water and was able to do the second loop with it zipped.  Crappy swim there 1:12.

Cali Half 2003 -  Water Temp around 58-60 degrees.  Started the swim, got maybe 50 yards, started to panic...swam over to a girl on a longboard, had her unzip the thing.  Whipped it off in the water then swam hard and played catch up to my swim wave.

Gulf Coast Half 2005 - Water Temp around 75 degrees.  Started the swim, made it to the first orange buoy, started to panic... flipped over on my back, got the wetsuit unzipped.  Whipped it off in the water and LET IT FLOAT AWAY...  asta la vista baby... glad to see that thing gone.

Edited by gts 2009-10-13 9:49 AM
2009-10-13 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I do see Carol from time to time. I must say I was surprised by your OW panic. On the bike and run you are so confident. Some people look like they haven't got a clue out there and your are not one of them. Besides I love that another 1961'er is excelling!
2009-10-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2456858

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
Yeah, the wetsuit panic is stupid.  I've only been racing for 24 years!  But the wetsuit thing started at Gulf Coast and I think its pretty mental of me to freak out so badly!! 

I'll bring an extra bag of samples for Carol to hang on to for you. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed