Dallas, TX
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 28m 10s
Overall Rank = 137/272
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

I was so stoked about my first tri! I wasn't planning on waking up til 4:15 ish, but I was up at 3:30 bubbling with excitement. Ate my usual breakfast, cereal w/a banana, milk, piece of toast and peanut butter.

Got to T-2 to set up running gear, looked for my number and what do you know....I'm in a freaking pond! It's not a little shallow puddle but is a good 5 ft wide and few inches deep. Umm, so I'll have two swims today...sweet. Wrapped my shoes/gloves in a plastic bag, made sure the tied opening was on top and just prayed for the best.

Hopped on the Derek shuttle to T-1. Met some BT'ers. Thank goodness I didn't have to wait in line for the shuttle. Princess got to sit her booty in a nice heated seat! =)
Event warmup:

Does shivering uncontrollably count? I guess the hike from the car to T-1 and my wetsuit on dance was a decent warm-up. Greeted teamates and my friends who I saw then stood around, watched the pros and Oly wave take off. Had fun soaking it all in
Swim
  • 17m 4s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

While waiting for my wave to start we saw a few people getting fished out of the water by the boats. It freaked out some of the girls in my wave and I tried to calm them down w/encouraging words. Fear can be contagious and I did not want any of that.

Start was a 6 person time trial start, and the first few groups ahead of me were slowly wading in waist deep before they started swimming. When it was our turn to go, I decided "F-it" I went running over the mat and dove in. I was so ready to get this swim on. I knew I had to pace myself correctly on the swim. Coming from a short distance swim background I have a tendecy to go all out in the first half and burn out the 2nd half. My main goal was to swim strong but make sure to sight well.

Going to the first buoy was rough but fun. The waves were pushing us to the right and back to the shore and in OWS I have a tendecy to veer to the right. Not only that but the waves were actually high enough that it was blocking my view of the 1st buoy. I would swim, ride a wave crest to see the 1st bouy. Repeated that about 3 times to see if I was even going the right direction. Dang...I was off by alot. I veered pretty bad to the right and off course. Had to get back on track. Fought through the waves and found a mass of swimmers. Once I started going the right direction again I started to pass a lot of swimmers. I picked my head up to sight and I was about to put my face back into the water when I suddenly looked down into the face of a guy. He must have flipped on his back and I didn't even see him because I was right on top. (Sorry! I didn't mean to dude!) I felt so bad b/c I could see the panic in his eyes. After rounding the 1st bouy it was alot easier. I found my rhythm and made sure to sight a little more frequently. Coming around the 2nd bouy I found my self side by side a bunch of swimmers. We were all coming into the swim finish together and at the same pace so we were all crowded around each other. I knew I didn't want to drop back and get kicked in the face so I made sure to keep my ground. Oh snap! Is that someone trying to grab my ankle to pull me back? Oh hellz no, turbo kick on......
What would you do differently?:

I sight terriblely in OWS. I rely on the black line so much as a pool swimmer. I need to really work on sighting moving forward. Also, I have a very weak right side. Something is off on my stroke, but I will be getting that fixed today in my underwater film session with Texas Triple Threat. Overall, with the conditions and how badly I veered off I felt that it was a pretty good swim for me. My main goal was to not go balls to the wall the first half and die the 2nd half and I didn't. I felt strong to the swim finish.
Transition 1
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

I had an epic T-1. I was a littly wobbly coming out of the water, forgot going horizontal to vertical quickly made me woozy. Oops, memo to self. Had to grab on to the railing for a few seconds. Got goggles and caps off ok, left them in the wetsuit arm sleeves but getting the wetsuit off my legs was another story. Still a little wobbly and shivering really badly I struggled with my wetsuit off dance. Almost fell and busted my a$$. I was getting frustrated and my HR was starting to climb on top of all this. I knew it was just going to get worse if I kept fumbling so I decided to take my time. Dried off best I could, rolled arm warmers, compression socks on and threw on a cycling vest to try to keep my chest/core warm. Worried about my asthma in this weather. Finally got helmet, sunglasses, and shoes on. Threw towel and wetsuit in trashbag.

More practice transitioning. I didn't really start practicing until the week leading into the race. Big mistake. Lost alot of ground with wasted time here.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Took my time mounting the bike, and took it easy first few miles. I knew we had 2 really killer hills after the dam so I was taking it easy. That long hill was a M F'er. After we got through the 2 hard hills I started to increase my speed. This is where I surprised myself a bit, I was actually passing people up.....even guys! I honestly thought I would be getting passed up left and right. I wasn't pushing it as hard as I should have but I was very nervous about the slick roads and crashing. I've crashed twice this year and have a healthy dose of fear of putting the bike down so I chose to ride very conservatively overall. Not only that, but I knew my death shuffle was coming up.

Happy no accidents, so not sure if I should say to push the pace harder even knowing that I could have. Considering all of the conditions I'll take it and say this was a good ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Coming off the bike was comical for the spectators I'm sure. I got off the bike and started stumbling with my bike because I couldn't feel my legs, feet or hands at all they were numb and frozen. Started leaning to the left and swerving all over the place. Got to my rack spot A*K*A swim #2 and fished my plastic bag out of the pond. My hands were not cooperating and had a hard time getting helmet, cycle shoes off and running shoes on and tied. Fumbled alot.

Practice, practice, practice! Once again I lost alot of time here because I didn't practice until week leading up to race.
Run
  • 32m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Time for my death shuffle..... This is my HUGE weakness and I know it. Coming out of T-2 I knew I had to just race my pace no matter how many were passing me up. I knew I had to control my breathing and HR as much as possible or my asthma would rear it's ugly head and I would be in big trouble. My goal was to run the entire 5K and just enjoy it as much as possible. I still couldn't feel my feet, legs and hands but I knew to just keep moving. As much as I hate running I had so much fun seeing TTT coaches/teamates and friends on the sidelines cheering me on. I was hurting but I couldn't help but to smile and crack smart a$$ comments along the way. I honestly just ran my pace and encouraged TTT members who I saw coming on their way out who were rocking the 10k Oly run. About a mile into the run my body was not numb any longer. My back was on fire, my legs were felt like bricks and stomach was starting to cramp. I wanted to walk so badly, but I didn't, I just kept my little death shuffle along and was so relieved to see the finish line coming ahead. I picked up my pace the last few hundred yards and put on my biggest smile coming across the finish line.

Run more X 1,000,000. Glad I was able to run the entire 5k, but it sure wasn't fast or pretty. Will be going into a half mary program to bring run volume up.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank sports drink, ate oranges, bananas, and protien bars. Hung out a bit and got lots of hugs from TTT team members and friends. Just awesomeness all around. Riding the post race adrenline high!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm really happy with my swim and bike considering the crappy weather, lake and road conditions. Transitions and run ate up alot of time but this was my first tri so now I have something to base off of and work on.

Event comments:

Can't really compare to anything else but I had the time of my life even in the rain and cold.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:04 | 875 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 55/272
Performance: Good
Suit: Borrowed X-terra wetsuit
Course: Triangular loop in Joe Pool Lake. Wind/boats caused some decent sized waves.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:10
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:28:57 | 24.85 miles | 16.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 112/272
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling through the hoods of Dallas! Actually, the course was very well run. 2 lanes for the bike portion and a ton of police support at all intersections. Lots of love to Dallas's finest. The ride itself was brutal. I was so cold coming out of the swim and of course it rains as I'm out on the bike. Roads were wet and slippery and there are portions where the potholes and cracks were really bad. Can't really do anything about that though.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:32:36 | 03.11 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 246/272
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice out and back through the spectators and Katy trail. Awesome finish line.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-12 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Sprint Triathlon

2009-10-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2455183

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Sprint Triathlon
Well done Tania, that was a brutal first tri. Keep your head up, next year and we might even let you have TWO dry transition areas.
2009-10-12 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Awesome race in nasty conditions!  Congratulations, triathlete.

2009-10-12 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Well done! Looks like you had a great race!! Cracked up at the swim #2...ha ha.
2009-10-12 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I knew you would find a way to dive in from the shore. Way to rock it and rock the socks.
2009-10-12 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Great work! And super props for finishing your first tri. You tackled a meaty sprint under pretty miserable conditions!!

2009-10-12 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Great job on your first triathlon! Those were some really tough conditions too. FYI, I completely solved severe T1 dizziness by using ear plugs. I use these and they're great: http://www.proplugs.com/swimming.shtml.
2009-10-12 6:11 PM

you are a hotty!!!!!!
2009-10-12 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
You are a TRIAHTLETE!  Great job.  I'm so proud of you.  You had a goal and a plan, worked hard and accomplished your goal.  Great job.  Next season is going to be awesome.

I saw you on the run...looking great.  I missed you after the race.

About transitions.  I have my fastest transitions when I just run to my spot, sit on the ground and do my thing.  You'll see people standing to change shoes or standing to strip off the wetsuit.  That doesn't  work for me.  Over the years I've tried all that and concluded sitting on my butt is the fastest way to transition.
2009-10-12 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

T-R-I-A-T-H-L-E-T-E!!!!  Great job!  The sprints will only get easier! Way to go!

2009-10-13 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Congratulations on your first tri!  The conditions at this one were more about survival than racing for most of us - I saw quite a few experienced triathletes walking their bikes back to transition or sitting beside them on the road.  You've got guts if you stuck this one out!

2009-10-13 2:52 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations on your first Tri! What a crazy first time experience. Storm conditions, swimming over someone on their back (wtf?), having your transition in a pond, all of that stuff would have thrown an experience racer a serious loop. Great job over coming and rocking the socks!

2009-10-13 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Plano, Texas

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Can't wait to see what you'll do next year.

Welcome to the crazy club.

2009-10-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2458323

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Outstanding job and great finish!   Welcome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed