Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any FFA Parents or former FFAers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-12 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Any FFA Parents or former FFAers?
My 14 year old son is in his first year of FFA and got his pig today.  Of course we have read about raising a pig and gotten lots of advice from other kids but I was wondering if anybody else had experience?

2009-10-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2455743

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Any FFA Parents or former FFAers?
No, but friends of ours on a farm have a pig that just had piglets and are looking to find the a good home, do you need another one?
2009-10-12 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2456212

User image

Pro
Houston

LOL - no thanks.  5 kids, 1 dog, 1 turtle and 1 pig are enough!  Not to mention I don't think a piglet would make it from Jersey to Houston.  From what I understand they are easily stressed and stress = heart attacks in pigs.

Here she is - Olivia Grace.

(Olivia.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Olivia.jpg (31KB - 8 downloads)
2009-10-12 9:30 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
1 keep it away from the dogs
2. it is not a pet do not name it
3 go to the local feed store and ask them how to take care of it and what to feed it.
2009-10-12 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2456292

User image

Champion
i lived on a farm most of my life/ did 4-H for years, shoot me a PM if you would like some help
2009-10-12 10:15 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Nice little hampshire!  x2 on the "it's not a pet" thing. 

My father-in-law is a show-pig breeder and one of his pigs won Houston last year, so they know quite a bit.  I, on the other hand, have never been too "into" the whole livestock show thing, so they all call me city slicker.

If you have questions, pm me and I'll try to get you some answers. 

2009-10-12 11:34 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
My husband raised pigs in 4-H as a kid and was a leader as an adult.

1. Pigs are smart, don't underestimate them.
2. Good food, good water, good exercise.
3. Pigs need shade or sunscreen or mud, they will burn with constant direct sun exposure.
4. Work with the older kids and the advisor.
5. If the animal is being raised to sell for meat be upfront and honest with your child about what will happen to the pig at the end of the year.
5. Have fun.

My husband and his brother always named their animals (as do the kids at the fair every year) and it was never a problem.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
2009-10-13 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

It is a good thing for the kids if they stick to it.

i have seen both sides.

1   The Young man or young woman does all the work, and gets a great learning experience

2   The young man or young woman gets into the habit of " mom I am going to be over at a friends house, would you take care of the animals for me." and the parent ends up doing everything but showing the animal. 

Edited by Dwayne 2009-10-13 7:30 AM
2009-10-13 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Thanks everyone for your posts.
All the kids name their pigs/goats/lambs/cows so it would be weird if he didn't.  They even have to have a name to show.
However, my son already knows that his pig will likely go to a 'freezer sale' when all is said and done, he gets it.  We know someone who had a petting zoo buy her pigs but we know that is unlikely so she will likely go to freezer sale.
The good news I think is that my son says 'just because she's going to be bacon doesn't mean it's not my job to take the best care of her that I can while she is alive.'  Which I think is a good attitude.  He is taking this seriously and is great with her so far.
I agree the responsibility has to be on him.  We have 5 kids so we don't have tons of time to take care of a pig too.  The only problem is he doesn't drive yet so we are responsible for getting him there most of the time.

We have tarps up to offer protection and the pen has a good roof.
Of course we already got her some feed that was recommended by the local feed store.  However, I do wonder about feeding the pig 'junk food'.  For instance one of the older kids insists the best way to bond with your pig is to feed it oreos.  Well, we've also been told that because of the stress of being moved the pigs usually have diarrhea for a couple of days.  It seems to me we would only want to give her pig feed to make her diet consistent.  I mean, if junk food is bad for us it's got to be bad for the pig too right?
2009-10-13 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Prior Hick that grew up on a farm in Nebraska for 16 years and an FFA member that showed cattle.  We had cattle, pigs, horses, chickens etc.  Been a while but a few notes from me:

1.  Pigs are Omnivores and will eat ANYTHING.  Not saying that everything they will eat is good but they are the trashcan/garbage disposal of the farm.
2.  Mud pit is not required but if you do not have one and the heat rises you MUST provide some way for them to cool off.  They do not have sweat glands and need something to help (leads to question of where the phrase "sweating like a pig" came from)
3.  Not trying to scare you but pigs can be very mean.  One of our neighbors lost a leg to a boar.  Daily interaction shouls minimize this issue but depending on the age of your son ensure his in pen time is supervised.
4.  Pigs are actually very clean and smart animals, this is why some people have pot belly (I think) pigs for house pets.  They can be trained just like a dog.  They are thought to be dirty due to the fact that they will eat their own, eat their own feces, and because we provide mudholes for them to wallow in.
5.  If he is in FFA, they should do quite a bit of educating on animals and have info specific to pigs.  Good opportunity for him to learn by sticking his nose in the book.

Glad to hear he knows the pig will probably go away at the end of the year.  No one told me this the first year I entered a calf in the Fair show.  Little disheartening, but bought my family a nice dinner 

Good luck with the year and hope your son learns alot.  If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Scott
2009-10-13 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I never raised pigs, but I did raise a few 4-h steers. If you have a good county agent through a university or state extension service, he or she may be very helpful (or not, it greatly depends on the individual). Some breed associations may have some tips for you. Back when I was showing, the Simmental Association was heavily promoting the breed and provided some small support.

It is really important that the kid not get too attached to the animal. It's livestock, not a pet.

When we fed steers to show, we tried to get them to pack on as much weight as they could, walking them on-lead enough to whet their appetites, and feeding them high-calorie diets of barley, cracked corn, dried molasses, vitamins, and a little salt. They free-fed on hay.

Here's me with a prize-winning carcass. Went for $11/100 wght on the hoof. His name was Meatball.

(kidswithmeat_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
kidswithmeat_small.jpg (97KB - 8 downloads)

2009-10-13 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I went to Cy-Fair HS and FFA was huge at the time. I never was involved, but had lots of friends that were. They even had a rodeo on Friday night. The program should teach them all they will need to know on how to raise and show the animals. Pretty good scholarship money involved if they win in any of the big livestock shows.
2009-10-13 12:22 PM

New user
Make the pen twice as strong as you think it should be and consider running a hot wire low on the inside.  Install a licker for water if you haven't as they will move and/or destroy any water holding device inside the pen as they try to get in it.  Since you are raising it for show, stick with milled feed and don't supplement with junk.  That said a small daily treat can get them very friendly in a hurry (bread, fruit, nuts, corn, etc.).  If it is a bore make sure it has been cut or get it done.  Mostly, let your child have fun with the project.
2009-10-13 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
KeriKadi - 2009-10-12 3:46 PM My 14 year old son is in his first year of FFA and got his pig today.  Of course we have read about raising a pig and gotten lots of advice from other kids but I was wondering if anybody else had experience?

Yep, my brother and I both raised/showed pigs during our FFA days.  They are a LOT of fun but a LOT of hard work.  If you have to give it shots, LOOK OUT!!  Man they are strong.  All of the ones we owned were between 200-225 lbs at their biggest (minimum weight to show was 200 lb) and they could literally throw us around with their heads. They are powerful animals!  Other than those few episodes, mostly, they were easy to raise and handle. 
2009-10-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2457185

User image

Expert
Mississippi
NXS - 2009-10-13 12:22 PM Make the pen twice as strong as you think it should be and consider running a hot wire low on the inside.  Install a licker for water if you haven't as they will move and/or destroy any water holding device inside the pen as they try to get in it.  Since you are raising it for show, stick with milled feed and don't supplement with junk.  That said a small daily treat can get them very friendly in a hurry (bread, fruit, nuts, corn, etc.).  If it is a bore make sure it has been cut or get it done.  Mostly, let your child have fun with the project.

All very good advice as well!  We dug a deep trench, forget exactly how deep, then buried the bottom of the fence between 2 treated 2x12's if I remember correctly.  Our feed trough was a constant work-in-progress to find good ways to keep them from throwing feed all over the place.  Good luck on that one.  The bite-valve for the water is the only way to go, just be sure the water pipe is secured extremely well, so the pigs don't break it.  Then you'd have a mess on your hands :-D.  You can't show boars, they must be barrows, so I wouldn't think you have a boar, but obviously, if you do, get it cut.
2009-10-13 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2457002

User image

Pro
Houston
mdg2003 - 2009-10-13 10:52 AM I went to Cy-Fair HS and FFA was huge at the time. I never was involved, but had lots of friends that were. They even had a rodeo on Friday night. The program should teach them all they will need to know on how to raise and show the animals. Pretty good scholarship money involved if they win in any of the big livestock shows.

My boys go to Cy-Falls.

The pen is steel and the bars go about a foot into the ground and the door/gate has a chain and padlock.  There are actually about 30 pens total 15 on each side all attached, about 12X12.
He has the auto spiket water thing.

I am sure they are giving him all kinds of information but he is a 14 year old boy and let's just say communication isn't his strong suit.

2009-10-14 3:13 AM
in reply to: #2456707

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire

The good news I think is that my son says 'just because she's going to be bacon doesn't mean it's not my job to take the best care of her that I can while she is alive.'  Which I think is a good attitude.  He is taking this seriously and is great with her so far.

That is an AWESOME attitude. He should also remember that happier pigs are tastier pigs. If he gets a reputation for having really good meat because he took really good care of them, he'll have people bidding on his animals through HS.
2009-10-15 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Yup, I raised a few prize winning show pigs back in the day. (20 yrs or so ago)

The pen doesnt need to just have a roof but walls as well.  In the winter, make sure they have a large amount of hay to bury themselves in to stay warm.  More work to keep it clean but it actually doesnt get dirty that quickly and the pig deserves to be comfy.

As for actual feeding tips, we kept ours on "pig starter" a higher protien content feed for several months and then a month or 6 weeks before the show switched to a more maintenance oriented feed.  This led to them having the proper lean/fat ratio that judges at the time were looking for.  Work with your sons Ag teacher and find out what judges in your area are looking for.

If you son is lucky enough to place he might make enough money to cover what it cost to raise, but the responsibilty of raising an animal the right way is worth whatever it costs.

edit to add:  x2 on the safety thing.  Pigs are lb for lb one of the strongest animals out there.  If the fence is pipe or steel bar that has no give, make sure not to get an ankle or knee pinned against it.  Also pigs will bite, dont give them a chance to nibble on your fingers or toes. They may not be mean, but they are curious and will eat anything.  I was standing on a low fence rail and one of our pigs decided the toe of my boot looked tasty.  That is the reason when i work with animals these days, i only wear steel toed boots.

Edited by morgenrr 2009-10-15 11:27 AM
2009-10-15 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
1st of all, "don't name it"! Your kids won't eat Bacon ever again if you get attached to it!
2009-10-15 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Thankfully we live in Houston where the winters are very mild.  The pen 'fencing' (stell bars) go up about 4 feet tall and there is some space between there and the roof.  Two of the walls face outside and those are covered with a tarp.  Pig also has a 'house' in the pen like a big doghouse made of wood with 3 sides, the open side faces the open part of the pen rather than outside so once she is in her house she is very protected and has lots of wood shavings for a comfy bed.

He puts baby oil on her every night and we sprinkled tide powder detergent around her pen to keep the fire ants out which are a huge problem in this area.

Last night she weighed in at 60 pounds even.

She obviously already has a name as do all the other hundred or so animals at the barn.

Good info on the feed.  My husband was with him when we bought it so I'll ask what kind they got and get the advice of the Ag teacher on if/when we should change that.  The good news is we were told with the stress of moving and liley change of diet the pigs would have diarrhea for at least a week and we haven't had that issue.  My son is very thankful

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any FFA Parents or former FFAers? Rss Feed