Richmond Multisports
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 33m 46s
Overall Rank = 42/179
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Craig and I had done the ChesapeakeMan Aqua Velo in Cambridge, MD the day before. So we drove down to Tappohannock and were staying in the Holiday Inn Express. With a 9am race start it was a nice leisurely morning, loaded the car and went to get some bfast in the lobby. Had a bagel and some yogurt. Loaded bikes and headed over to race site. Picked up packets and waited out the rain to set up transition. The rain outlasted us so went ahead and set up in it. Fortunately right before the race start the rain stopped and we actually got a rainbow over the river!
Event warmup:

Did an easy swim out from the swim exit area to see how I was feeling and to pick out some sighting landmarks when heading to the exit. Realized that there was a current that would be against us on the longest leg of the swim, it wasnt real strong but enough that I had to aim right of the swim exit to end up in the correct spot. Oh well I have swam against worse currents before!
Swim
  • 29m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I realized during my warmup that I was a 'little tired' from the day before. But I though hey this is only 1500m I swam 2.4 miles yesterday in really tough conditions. I took off hard at the start to get away from the pack and then settled into a good smooth stroke. Rounded the first bouy and started the long down river stretch with the current slightly against us. I increased my turnover to compensate for the current, but still tried to maintain an easy relaxed pace. When I reached the second turn bouy my heart rate was really up there I think more from overally exhaustion than anything. I focused on sighting, aiming a little to the right of the exit to compensate for the current and taking it easy to bring the heart rate back down. I swam until I touched bottom and then took two more strokes and stood up.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim 2.4 miles the day before :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I really thought I took it easy on this transition. At this point in the race I really didnt think I had a chance of placing so I wasnt killing myself. Maybe that is the secret to a fast transition time, relax!

I do think I could have run faster from the water to T1.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 47s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 21.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I really didnt know what to expect on the bike. I knew I was tired, but figured lets air it out and see what happens, if I blow I blow. I started off on the initial flats with a good cadence and felt okay. I really made sure I was taking in a lot of fluid as I knew that I was still slightly dehydrated from the day before. (this would come back to haunt me later) I reached the first hill and was actually glad to see it. After spending 112 miles on dead flat windy roads the day before it was a welcome relief to actually be able to use some different muscles when pedaling. The second hill is the monster, after a sharp left turn you see it looming in front of you with what appears to by cyclists nearly standing still on their bikes! I figured lets do it and attacked the hill. About midway I got out of the saddle and just climbed. HR was up but I was still feeling pretty good. From memory the rest of the course was flat so what did I have to loose I would recover. Needless to say when I saw big hill #3 I thought uh oh that attack on that hill might not have been the wisest choice. This one I was a little more conservative on, I was starting to get more into a survival mode on the bike. I was really done and wanting to get off of my bike. The rest of the ride is somewhat uneventful untill you get back near the transition area and you get a series of speed bumps. The guys honking their horns and screaming were kind of fun too!

Not bike 112 miles the day before :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I really was relatively slow in this transition. I have always felt that transitions are free time, you have to train real hard to take seconds off of your swim or run times, but transitions just take a little practice. But this one I was really wiped and basically muddled my way into my running shoes.

same as above..
Run
  • 48m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I started running I felt really good to be off of my bike. I never thought that I would say it, but I was a little sick of cycling at that point :) I felt good, except all that hydration had now caught up to me. I had to pee really bad. I knew that most of this run was open corn fields and really wished that I had hit a port a john when I was leaving transition, but at that point I was like no way I can hold it. Well after running about a 1/4 of a mile I realized that I couldnt and needed to come up with plan B. I saw some woods coming up on the left and figured this might be my only shot, so I kept a nice running pace and veered to the left, through a ditch across tall grass and into the woods. I really thought that I would never stop as I must have really overhydrated on the bike! Finally finished and feeling quite relieved I bounded across the ditch again and back on the road. I think my avg speed pace picked up about 1 min per mile at that point I felt so good. I made it to the turnaround (nice little down hill that you then get to turn around and come right back up) and then saw all of the people behind me. I figured if I didnt want to get passed by a bunch of people I needed to pick it up a little on the way back. At about mile 5 I heard footsteps closing in on me fast and just hoped there wouldnt be a 45,46,47,48 or 49 on his calf. No such luck a 48, he passed me easily and I knew that there was no way I could hang at his pace for another 1.2 miles so I watched him pull away. I hoped that he really was as fast as he seemed and that I just wasnt slowing down that much. I finally got back to the finish area and turned the corner to the finish chute, really glad that I was done!

maybe not take in quite so much fluids on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to some friends, watched some other friends finish and went for a swim in the river to cool down. Showered and got changed and waited for the results. Initially I counted down that I was 4th in my AG. I was really pleased. Then it turned out that the guy in 1st had only done the swim and bike, so I moved up to 3rd. I was really suprised. Ate a great BBQ sandwich, in fact went and got some cash and bought a second. I was really hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definately the race the day before, but I knew that going in. This was going to be a fun training weekend and a chance to hang out and race with some friends. Whatever the result would be they would be.

Event comments:

Laurie and the rest of the RMS staff do a great job. The food and volunteers at Naylors are some of the best in triathlon!

Last updated: 2009-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 81/179
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: A trapezoid with 2 turn bouys. You swam out from the shore up river made a left turn, swam parallel to the shore for the longest of the 3 legs and then made another left to head back to the swim exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:47 | 25.5 miles | 21.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 22/179
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A mixed bag, this course can throw just about everything at you. Flats, headwinds, sharp turns, steep hills and screaming downhills. Also just for good measure lets throw some speed bumps in at the end while you are getting out of your shoes! I love it!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average