General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-27 7:10 AM

Broomfield, CO
Subject: Stress Fracture
About 11 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my tibia from running. I had been running on it for a while with pain, and finally went to the doctor. We had a bone scanned done, it confimed a moderate to severe stress fracture. He put me on crutches for a week and in a boot for 3 more weeks after that. Went back to the doctor after six weeks and he said, let's give it 2 more weeks to be safe. After 8 weeks of not running I was able to begin running again, on a treadmill, starting with just 1 mile at a time. Wednesday I went running and did intervals. Leg felt fine. Thursday afternoon it began hurting again just like before, in exactly the same spot!! I am hopefully getting in to see the doctor again today.... anyone have any suggestions. I can't believe it wouldn't be healed after 8 weeks!

2005-05-27 7:12 PM
in reply to: #164291

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Stress Fracture
Welcome to the stress fracture club.  I have one in my hip.  It sucks.  For better or for worse I am an orthopedic surgeon.  They can take a REALLY long time to heal.  One of our Olympic gymnasts had a stress fx in her tibia for a year...fiinally someone nailed it (did surgery on it) and she got better.  You may have started back too soon.  Ask for a long leg air cast to use while training.  It should help.  You need to be VERY cautious about getting back to running.  You may have done too much too soon.  Try the elliptical and see how it feels.  Try running in the pool.  I wouldn't suggest the above mentioned surgery unless it goes to nonunion or takes a year to heal.  Have they done repeat xrays and/or repeat bone scan?  That would give you a better idea where you are and if you should be real worried.  Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.  Also I have ortho friends at CU.  Take care -SMO
2005-05-28 5:56 PM
in reply to: #164291

Subject: RE: Stress Fracture
OK , I am going to throw this one out take it for what it is worth..

Be patient!

The nice thing about triathlon is you have two other sports. Look at the positive. You can swim as much as you want, and as long as you have no pain biking you can do that also. If biking hurts try an easier gear and work on leg speed and spin, when you get back to full running you will be ahead of the game in these disciplines. You can run in the deep end of the pool with or w/out an aquajogger(w/out is much harder. Correlate run workouts w/ running in the pool. 5x5min tempo w/5min easy for example. Get involved in relays, do the swim or bike to keep the competitive juices flowing.

Ask your doc about a bone stimulator, also if you took anti -inflammatories early in the healing process this may have slowed the healing. I say may because the experts are just starting to look into this. In the initial process of healing the body starts a inflammatory process to start to heal the bone. You want inflammation. Ibuprophen for example may slow this down.

The important thing is to listen to your body, if it hurts back off. Check w/ your dr. to see what the next step is. Good luck !
I am not a dr , everything should be cleared w/ him. But Thats my non expert opinion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture Rss Feed