General Discussion Race Reports! » Linden Woods Fall Classic 10K Race, 5K Fun Run & F Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Linden Woods Fall Classic 10K Race, 5K Fun Run & F - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
-2C / 28F
Overcast
Total Time = 46m 29s
Overall Rank = 44/156
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Routine? What routine?
Event warmup:

Was cold out so just did a few short sprints and tried to keep moving to stay warm.
Run
  • 46m 29s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 39s  min/km
Comments:

Cold weather for this race. Did not sleep well but got up early and made it to the race with 1/2 an hour to spare. Picked up race kit, put on number bib and a washroom break. Walked about for a bit and forgot to drink before the race. Put on cheap 99 cent gloves I bought for the race to keep my hands warm.
Went to start line and did a quick sprint or two and kept moving to stay warm.
Kept a fast (too fast) pace at the start of the race for the first km or so. About 25 people in lead group but soon started to trail when my breathing would not settle down. Had a very slow pace going through the next couple of kilometers and about 20 people passed me.
Most of the runners in my group missed out at the 5 km water station as there were not enough volunteers dispensing cups (I think I counted 2).
Finally settled into a pace (although slow) after the halfway point and got into a rhythm. Kept pace with a few others and actually passed one guy around the 7-8 km mark. He stayed on my heel for a while then passed me going strong up a small hill with about 300 meters to go. I attempted an attack but soon realized he was too strong and finished a few seconds behind him. Second race in a row that I've been passed with meters left in the race.
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself better and hydrate.
Post race
Warm down:

Kept walking after finishing and let the heart rate settle down a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing and training. Might have to start doing some hill training as well.

Event comments:

This race is gaining popularity and growing fast, maybe too fast. I think some additional volunteers and maybe chip timing would be beneficial. The race director is a great guy trying to do it all on his own. A bit of help and this race will be huge in a few years.

Last updated: 2009-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:29 | 10 kms | 04m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 44/156
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course in the burbs mostly on streets, some on paved park trails. Mostly flat course with 2 very smallish assents. Nice park-like scenery with water views and two small foot bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-13 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: Linden Woods Fall Classic 10K Race, 5K Fun Run & F
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Linden Woods Fall Classic 10K Race, 5K Fun Run & F Rss Feed