United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m 40s
Overall Rank = 9597/33608
Age Group = 30-34F
Age Group Rank = 503/2668
Pre-race routine:

I ended up having to travel for work right before the race, so I was in South Bend, IN up until Saturday afternoon. Had a crummy night of sleep both Friday and Saturday night, so I was a little nervous. We spent some time at the Expo on Saturday late in the afternoon, then had an early dinner and got ready for the race. Obsessed about the weather and my clothing options, then tossed and turned all night.

Apparently, semi-fancy hotels do not have refrigerators or microwaves... we're lucky we had a cooler, but had to eat our breakfast cold. Oh, and no coffee maker or available coffee until 6:30, so luckily my friend was able to sneak us coffee out of her conference room.
Event warmup:

Got layered up and walked just over a mile to the start line. Portapotty lines were LONG, so we got in one right away. I think we made a bad choice to use the ones right off Jackson, because we were in line for forever and we still had to check our gear and get to our seeded corral before they closed them off.

We ended up shedding our outer layers and getting into trash bags while we were in line to save some time and still ended up having to run to the gear check. Luckily there wasn't a line so we pitched our bag and ran to the corral area. We got there just in time and made our way to corral D...plenty of room and we even had time to settle down after all the rushing and adrenaline.
Run
  • 3h 54m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This marathon was awesome! We were hoping for sub-4 hours and I was having some doubts ahead of time. We stayed at a nice even pace and finished well!

For the first 2 miles I was struggling a little with the pace...it may have just been because of the rushing right before the start, but by the time we got to mile 3 I was pretty comfy. The crowds were insane. And we were shoulder to shoulder with runners the entire time.

The Boystown area was fun, and so many spectators had awesome signs (Chafe now, Brag forever!). The next 10-ish miles went by FAST. I couldn't believe how the miles were just ticking away. We hit the halfway mark at just over 1:56, a tiny bit fast, but still close to 9 minute miles. The crowd was amazing here too, but this was where I was starting to feel worked over.

When we hit the 14 mile marker, we heard the announcement that there was a new course record and American marathon record. It seemed so crazy that we were only halfway done and the winners had already finished!

I started not being very chatty and could tell I was having to focus on our pacing a lot more. The crowds and scenery provided a nice distraction though. We made it through the next few miles and I was playing mental games to keep myself in it. I focused on getting to 16 since that would mean only 10 more miles...then getting to 18, which was where Eric hit the wall at the 2007 Detroit Marathon...then to 20, so we'd only have a 10K left.

Around mile 22 we hit Chinatown...that was the most amazing thing ever! The crowds were unbelievable here. I was hurting pretty badly...my feet were killing me...but I forgot all about it here. It made me a little teary-eyed even...I was so overwhelmed!

The crowds were great again just after mile 23 when we made the turn to start heading back toward the finish. The Nike spirit station was playing "I Gotta Feeling" and it helped to perk me up.

After mile 24 was excruciating. I kept trying to pick up the pace since we were so close, but it wasn't happening. Eric, who had been pulling us along the whole time, was asking to slow it down. 9 minute miles suddenly felt like sprinting.

We saw 2 of my co-workers with 1 mile to go - a nice boost. Someone had an "HTFU" sign. More and more spectators cheering for us. Then we could finally see the turn onto Roosevelt before the finish...and the tiny hill that felt like a mountain. After 26 miles of flatness, my quads hated that tiny hill.

Then we made the final turn to the finish line. We crossed holding hands and I was so grateful to have had such a good run and to have shared it with my amazing husband!
What would you do differently?:

We executed this race about as well as we could have. A spring injury meant that I had to keep my mileage much lower than normal marathon training, something I would not recommend! I was only running 3x a week with a peak week of 36 miles in order to keep my increases around 10%. We did get in 2 20-milers, but I wasn't feeling super prepared.
Post race
Warm down:

Shuffled through the finish line, and picked up some snacks. I tried to drink a beer, but my stomach protested after the first couple sips...not a good idea. We got our gear bag for some warm clothes, then we walked the one mile back to the hotel. It was like a death march.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Low mileage training.

Event comments:

Awesome marathon! Lots of spectators and great volunteers. I'd love to do this one again!

Last updated: 2009-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:54:40 | 26.2 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 503/2668
Overall: 9597/33608
Performance: Good
Garmin couldn't get good satellite readings for the first few miles. I forgot to turn off the autopause feature, so I got some funky data out of it. Apparently, Garmin is not a fan of tunnels or skyscrapers.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-13 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2009-10-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2457519

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
Great job! Way to push through!!
2009-10-13 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Damn Cheryl! You make marathoning sound like so much fun!  ;-)  My favorite parts are the death march back to the hotel , mile 24 and after as excruciating, and  the 9 minute miles feeling like sprinting!  Oy! 

You did an amazing job out there!  Congrats to you and Eric, and I hope your legs are feeling better soon! 

That is so cool that you guys get to race together!  You two are very lucky! :-)
2009-10-13 10:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congrats! I saw the HTFU sign as well and laughed but had to make a mental note to do just that..
Great run!
2009-10-18 5:02 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Great job on breaking 4 hours!  Enjoy some rest time

2009-11-08 5:01 PM

User image

New user

That is a great report on the marathon. I also ran chicago this year, cold at first but once we got moving it was as warm as I would have wanted. Great job!

2009-11-08 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Nice report!   Also ran Chicago!  finished 3:54:26   We must have seen each other!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed