General Discussion Race Reports! » Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
3 Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 1s
Overall Rank = 237/529
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/51
Pre-race routine:

Kevin and I left at 5:30 for the hour drive to Richmond. So glad that he went with me, that drive is long that time of the morning. Had my coffee,half a PBJ, and a banana.

Event warmup:

Got there and set up transition, got chip, then body marked. Was really chilly so I tried to keep the clothes on as long as I could. Then sat in the pool area for 20 min for the start.
Swim
  • 09m 37s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I sent my seed time in I had forgotten to add the extra minute for the race being in a 50 M pool. Was a bit worried about slowing people down. But it all worked out. Had to let 3 people pass me at the wall. Really not that bad. I knocked 2 minutes off the time from 3 years ago!
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I spent to much time chatting with people in the morning before the race, and forgot to undo the velcro on my bike shoes. Cold also slowed me down.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to the set up before the race.
Bike
  • 42m 30s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Glad I took the time to put on my wind jacket! Was still chilly out and I HATE to be cold. Going down Robious was great and passed alot of bikes. Once we had to come back up for the water, I started to slow. I knew the hill was a long one so I just geared down and pushed. Played cat and mouse with a big guy from the RTC. He passed me on the down hill and said that it was a great advantage of being large and then I could catch back up with him on the flats. That's just what happened. He knew the course better that I did and on the last few miles pushed hard and got way to ahead of me. By the last few miles my toes were FROZEN!!! I didn't take the extra time to put my socks on and after wished I would have.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

When I tried to put the running shoes on, my feet hurt so bad, from being frozen. When I started to run, it felt like I was running on pins and needles!!
Run
  • 28m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Took me FOREVER for my feet to thaw!!! Once I did I could really lossen up and push. About 1.5 miles into the run I noticed a young girl running with NO SHOES!!! I said behind her that she must be a die hard or just plain crazy. She laughed and told me that when she got in from the bike that one of her running shoes was missing. She took the time to look all around T for it but couldn't find it. She didn't want to quit there so she decided to run without. MAn, I don't know if I would be that crazy!! The last half mile Brian Myers was out running after his finish and paced me! Thankd goodness he showed up towards the end! That's the fastest 5K I have ever done.
Post race
Warm down:

Met Kevin at the finish and waited for a few club members to finish. Ate a piece of pizza and hit the road back to the BURG!

Event comments:

I did this race 3 years ago as my second race. I took 16 minutes off the overall time. Even though I had a MTN bike for the last one I still feel great of my time. 10th in the AG is a FANTASTIC finish for me.

Last updated: 2009-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:37 | 437 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/529
Performance:
Suit:
Course: snake swim in a 50M pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:30 | 12.43 miles | 17.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/51
Overall: 201/529
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:32 | 03.11 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/51
Overall: 256/529
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful run through a nice neighborhood. Love this run course. Has a few little inclines but I usually run with hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-10-14 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint Triathlon

2009-10-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2458792

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: RE: Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint Triathlon
Awesome job at the race! I love this course and wish I could have been out there this year. It can be a chilly one, though. Way to push through the cold and do it!! Awesome improvement, too.
2009-10-15 5:46 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great job working through numb toes! 

2009-10-20 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area

Great job. My feet were numb during the first half of the bike but thawed out while I was still on the bike, I usually dry them off before I put my socks on but I forgot.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed