General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the change in weather making me feel sick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-14 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: Is the change in weather making me feel sick?
I did some research and couldn't really find any definite answers, so i thought i'd come here and ask some of the natives.

Last week i started feeling sick.  I felt light headed off and on, headaches, nausea, and general weakness.   I never ran a fever or got technically sick.   It was just yuckky feeling for a week or so.   I started feeling better yesterday and today i've felt the best i have in a week or more.   Today my wife is feeling very similar to how i felt last week.   She's not sick, just feels crummy.

I actually didn't put much thought into it before now.   But can the change in temps. like we've had recently affect someone like it did me and perhaps my wife?   I know changes in altitude for someone who isn't adjusted can definitely cause symptoms.....but can changes in temps. do that to?

We just moved here from Florida at the end of July and we feel we've adjusted good.   I can exercise relatively at ease now.    But what about the weather?

Anyone have any experience with this?

2009-10-14 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2459899

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Is the change in weather making me feel sick?
I felt very fatigued for about a week a little over a month ago.  A friend had felt that way a couple weeks earlier, then her boyfriend right after her.  Made me think it was a bug going around.
2009-10-14 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
ya that very might well be it too, but i just wanted some opinions on the weather changes too.   reason i didn't think it was a bug was because it would come and go from day to day.   some days i felt terrible and others i felt decent.   wasn't until yesterday i started feeling like myself again.
2009-10-14 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
That could be the altitude.  When we moved here from sea level it took me months before I felt normal again.  See if it's affected by the amount of water you drink -- that helps w/ altitude sickness and it's a lot drier here than FL.
2009-10-17 10:09 AM

both my roommate and a couple of people at work (who are all natives) have had this exact complaint for the last week or so. I wouldnt be surprised if it is primaryily a weather/air pressure sort of thing
2009-10-17 9:32 PM

User image

Colorado
I remember reading that there is no truth to the idea that a change in temps (or exposing yourself to cold/rainy weather) can cause you to feel sick.

Having said that, it seems at least feasible to me that a big change in temps or cold/rainy weather might temporarily suppress your immune system, making you more susceptible to any viruses that might be going around. But that's only speculation on my part... perhaps someone else can chime in.

2009-10-17 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
by changes in temps., i meant an also change in barometric pressures.....not simply the temperatures.
2009-10-17 10:58 PM

I am certainly not an expert - but I am a native to Colorado. However, there was a story on 9News or one of the stations about how quickly we are losing the sunlight. The doctor's comment was that many people in Colorado will experience a little light related depression - which he described just as you did your symptoms. He said it will take some times a few weeks for our bodies to adjust to the light. Time is about to fall back and we are far ahead in the time zone. Maybe that is it.

I had a bug a few weeks ago that didn't last long (2-3 days), but I started feeling a little slow, tired, etc. a week ago and seemed to go away. I wonder it if is just in my head now that I saw it on the news.
2009-10-18 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
ya not sure if it was a coincidence or not.   now that it's warmed back up...i feel great again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the change in weather making me feel sick? Rss Feed