General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Forerunner 310XT vs. 405CX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-15 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Subject: Garmin Forerunner 310XT vs. 405CX
With my birthday and xmas around the corner, I was going to hit up my family to help me upgrade my heart monitor situation (currently using a crappy Nike monitor that doesn't work so well and doesn't have a lot of options).  I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Forerunner 310xt and 405cx as both are waterproof and GPS.  The only significant differences they seem to have are:

1. 310 has "multisport mode", 405 doesn't
2. 405 also works as a watch, 310 doesn't
3. 310 doesn't seem to actually come with the heart rate monitor, 405 does (according to "in the box" tab on the garmin website for each product)
4. 405 looks less like a laptop attached to your wrist and more like a watch (which I prefer)

Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or another for either of these units?  What exactly does the "multisport mode" allow you to do?  Will I miss having the "sport watch" option if I got a 310?

Thanks,
Tim

2009-10-16 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2462000

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Garmin Forerunner 310XT vs. 405CX
I have the 305 - the multi function allows you to program different exercise modes - for example mine is set up for bike - run - when I start the bike I hit start, when I finish I hit start again and it changes to run mode, I can also put in transition times as well - for example - hit start for the run or in the 310 start with swim, then hit start as you pass the time mat from the swim, hit the start as you pass with your bike, then hit time again at the end of the bike - each time automatically changes the mode the Forerunner is in.  It is very nice feature.  go with the 310xt.
2009-10-17 4:37 PM

New user
I'd recommend the 310XT as well.  They do have a version that comes with the heart rate strap for I think $50 more (dont quote me on that).  Size wise it's big, but not ridiculous.  I think the size is perfect, it's big enough to see everything very clearly and also small enough that it's not clunky or uncomfortable.  I also read online while debating which model to get that the bezel on the 405 is oversensitive and causes inadvertent changes in your displays.  I dont think either is really meant to be worn as a full time watch so I dont think that should really be an issue in your decision.
2009-10-19 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
I upgraded from the Nike +  (cool at first, then you realize how inaccurate it is).  Did a LOT of looking around, read a lot of reviews, and decided that the best value for me is the Garmin 305.  It's a bit chunky, but surprisingly comfortable on the wrist.  Has a HR monitor.  The only thing I would consider a drawback is that it's not waterproof, so you can't swim in it.  I have worn mine while biking 15 miles back to my car in a torrential downpour though, and it was unaffected. 

The size of the 405 is nice, but multi-sport mode is sweet, and the face on the larger units is much easier to read.

Edited by gavisk 2009-10-19 8:29 PM
2009-10-20 2:41 AM
in reply to: #2467906

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
gavisk - 2009-10-19 8:27 PM I upgraded from the Nike +  (cool at first, then you realize how inaccurate it is).  Did a LOT of looking around, read a lot of reviews, and decided that the best value for me is the Garmin 305.  It's a bit chunky, but surprisingly comfortable on the wrist.  Has a HR monitor.  The only thing I would consider a drawback is that it's not waterproof, so you can't swim in it.  I have worn mine while biking 15 miles back to my car in a torrential downpour though, and it was unaffected. 

The size of the 405 is nice, but multi-sport mode is sweet, and the face on the larger units is much easier to read.

Just to build on this, Garmin states that the 305 is IPX7 rated when it comes to waterproof/water resistance. This means that the watch can withstand immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. 

I wouldn't recommend wearing the 305 for swimming on a regular basis, but I read that as rain probably never being an issue while biking or running with the 305.

If I were you, I would go with the 310xt, but I've heard mixed reviews of the touch screen of the 405 and the 310xt matches my needs more closely.

Either way you I think you'll be happy.
2009-10-20 4:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
I have the 310XT and I moved across from the Polar 200SD. I love using the GArmin Training centre on my pc and transfering  workouts to my unit. Brilliant. Its like a personal coach with you 24/7!

No complaints so far except that I cant seem to fit it on my TT bike because the bike bracket is designed for handlebar mount only and my TT bars are aero ones

Get it -- you wont have any regrets.

2009-10-20 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Belleville, MI

I own the 405 and one of the only problem is if you can not wear it during an ironman.  The battery on the 405 only last about 8hrs max.  I wish I would have waited until the 310 came out but who knew.

2009-10-24 1:08 PM

Veteran
Anyone just waer their 310xt on their wrist instead of using the bike mount? I do not really care about the cadence, my cycling computer already does all that.
2010-01-16 5:47 AM

I have a question I was hoping you'd answer I want a watch for use with Strenght training and Spinning. As the 405CX only has 2 modes (does it really?), could I configure "run mode" to be my strenght training mode? (lower pulse)?

and use it effeciently? I just want all my training logged, although strenght training is as interesting as spinning. 

Edited by lassefj 2010-01-16 5:49 AM
2010-01-16 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2617019

User image

Expert
lassefj - 2010-01-16 5:47 AM I have a question I was hoping you'd answer I want a watch for use with Strenght training and Spinning. As the 405CX only has 2 modes (does it really?), could I configure "run mode" to be my strenght training mode? (lower pulse)?

and use it effeciently? I just want all my training logged, although strenght training is as interesting as spinning. 

When you import a workout, you can change the class (mode) it belongs to.  So if you leave the watch in Run, you can drag it to Other if you wanted to use for Strength.  Although I am not sure there is a good purpose to track HR through Strength training as it is not a metric that will matter to you on race day.

To the OP:
To add a few things and reiterate a few things said already.

The 405 bezel has been known to be touchy at best.
Although the 305 standard says it should be fine at 1 m of water for 30 minutes, it is the constant submersion and impact that make it less likely to survive a swim on your wrist.  Garmin has stated they will not warranty a 305 that has been used to swim.  That being said, if you want to swim with it, there is a method you can use the quick release kit and put the head unit in a ziploc bag inside your swim cap on the back part of your head.  It will then track your swim, because its out of the water the entire time, and may only see a little bit of water that leaks into the cap, and thats what the bag is for.

There are 2 or 3 reasons to look at the 310 over the 305.
1 You absolutely do not want to put it in your cap and need it to be waterproof.
2 You are or plan on getting an ANT+ capable Power Meter of some sort and want to use your Garmin to display that (Cinqo that doesn't come with a head unit, or Powertap w/o electro kit)
3 You race long courses and need the additional battery life

4..The HR strap the 310 comes with (the $350 model does not include a HR strap, the $400 model does) is much nicer and more comfortable than the one the 305 comes with, but functionally it works the same, and can be obtained for another 50 bucks or so if you go with the 305 and want that.

I know you say you have a cyclecomputer (that does cadence) but I would suggest if you are going the route of a Garmin, purchase the Cadence kit for it.  Then all of your data will be stored together and you can analyze your speed/cadence/hr relationships and see where your sweet spot is.

If interested I have a 305 review on my blog, working on the 310 one right now, would like to finish it up this weekend. 
2010-01-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2617089

Well the cadence kit is unnecessary as I use it for Spinning (indoors) - so it may be overkill to buy a GPS unit designed for running - but I like the interface of Garmin Connect. Too bad Suunto's uploading interface look like something from 1990...

2010-01-16 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
steel099 - 2009-10-15 2:24 PM
Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or another for either of these units? 

Will I miss having the "sport watch" option if I got a 310?

I have the 310xt and love it. 

I've heard a large number of complaints about the "bezel" control on the 405, and it being completely unusable once you get sweaty.

I don't believe I've heard a single complaint from anyone with a 310xt.  We _wish_ it would magically record HR and GPS during the swim.  But knowing that it doesn't, it's a not perfect, but pretty darn good watch.

As for the "multi-sport mode", you will probably miss it on race day.  During transitions, you hardly want to fiddle with a bunch of different button clicks to change your watch from Bike to Run mode.

With the 310xt, you just hit the lap button to move from swim => T1 => bike => T2 => run.  Though, it's programmable so it will also work for a duathlon or any other multi-sport event you might want to try.
2010-01-16 2:31 PM

Does anyone have the Garmin 405CX?

Just how many presses does it take to shift to run mode?

My Polar F11 its about 3-4 clicks - it could be made easier, but I learned to live with it. 
2010-01-28 8:28 AM

User image

New user

Here's my experience with the Garmin 405:

I bought it last summer to replace a 205.  I was training in the DC heat and humidity for the Marine Corps Marathon. 

To make a long story short, the 405 was completely unusable.  After about 10 minutes into a run, I would be sweaty, and so the air around the bezel would be humid.  The touch-sensitive bezel would go crazy, like a million invisible fingers were pushing it every which way.

On those very rare times when the 405 DID work on a run, it was very hard, sometimes impossible, to upload the data to my computer using the ANT stick.  You can't just plug the 405 in.  Instead, you need to rely on making a wireless connection.  That would take 10, 20, 30 minutes. 

I took the 405 back to my running store and asked if they could exchange it.  They said 'no,' which was understandable, since I had been trying to use it for a couple months.

I was so disgusted with the 405 that I asked the running store guy to hold out his hand.  I dropped the 405 in his hand, along with the straps and things, and said 'Merry Christmas.'  I bought a new 204 (I had given my old one away when I got the 405).  Since then, I've been very happy with the 205, and have shuddered every time I have seen a 405.  What a waste of money that was.

But now I am thinking of the 310 for its waterproofness.  I hope that works out better than the piece of you-know-what 405.
2010-02-12 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
One quick question on the 310XT - are you able to upload the swim portion on BT like cycle and run. I saw the box for it in the training log but didn't want to buy the device to find it is not compatible.
2010-02-16 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2669954

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
TahoeSteve - 2010-02-12 12:08 PM One quick question on the 310XT - are you able to upload the swim portion on BT like cycle and run. I saw the box for it in the training log but didn't want to buy the device to find it is not compatible.

Yes and no.  The 310XT CANNOT accurately track your swim distance on your wrist.  It is waterproof, and I've worn it on swim workouts as a lap counter, but it will not get your distance right at ALL on your wrist.  If you have the quick release, I've read you can put it in your swim cap and get a fairly accurate distance measure.  I have not tried this, but it is explained on several blog reviews of the unit. 

Also, the heart rate monitor is spotty in the water.  This is noted in the instructions.

What it can do, though, is count laps if you hit the lap button, and be a general timer, and that data can be uploaded like any other workout can be uploaded.

I use the 310XT as a HR monitor in spin classes, while running, and (for now) on my wrist when I ride my bike since i don't yet have a cadence sensor and my used bike came with a basic computer I can look at while riding.  I upload bike, spin, and run data to BT. 

Hope this helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Forerunner 310XT vs. 405CX Rss Feed