General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to do with my extra time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-27 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: what to do with my extra time

I work in academia and about to embark on a two month break.  I'm wondering how I should change my current workout schedule. 

Typically in a week I aim for:

• 2 swims
  • 2 bikes
  • 1 long, slow run
  • 2 shorter, faster runs

I know I really need to spend more time on my bike.

What else should I add?

1. 2 a day workouts
  2. weight training
  3. longer workouts

By the way, I've been doing this a year and I'm still fat and slow at all 3 events.

2005-05-27 1:55 PM
in reply to: #164607

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: what to do with my extra time
What are your goals?
2005-05-27 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Like Bear says, What are your goals? It all depends on what you are training for. I wish I had more time to train. Getting up at 4:30 am is getting old!
2005-05-27 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I now train each 3x a week. I have made great improvements since I have put more time in training. I do 2 a day workouts or bricks 3 days a week. My coach told me I could do 3 a week with lower intensity or do 2 a week with higher intensity to get better. I am not a big fan of intervals and higher HR workouts..so I go with 3.

I end up doing one speed and one long workout in both the bike and run. Plus I normally run for 10 minutes or so after each bike.

Swimming I just practice since I'm still learning.

What are your goals? What is your limitor? Which of the three do you place best in? Worst in? I'd work on whatever is your weakness.
2005-05-27 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
It's summertime...cross train by trying something new.
2005-05-28 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
imnotjoking - 2005-05-27 2:43 PM

I work in academia and about to embark on a two month break. I'm wondering how I should change my current workout schedule.

Typically in a week I aim for:

• 2 swims
  • 2 bikes
  • 1 long, slow run
  • 2 shorter, faster runs

I know I really need to spend more time on my bike.

What else should I add?

1. 2 a day workouts
  2. weight training
  3. longer workouts

By the way, I've been doing this a year and I'm still fat and slow at all 3 events.

Weight training! Go immediately to http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.htmland read everything Krista has to tell you! I'm utterly serious: the big advantage to being an overweight woman is that you've got a lot of muscle mass built up from hauling around your bulk. Use it to fuel your metabolism.

Weightlifting won't keep you from losing weight if you're eating at a calorie deficit, but it *will* partition the weight loss more towards fat. You will NOT become bulky, you'll just start losing those fat deposits you thought would never go. Plus, it will provide some joint support / injury prevention that you're going to need if you're a 200 pound woman running three times a week.

You don't have to get fancy about weightlifting, but it will take a bit of effort to learn your routine. A simple routine for me is the powerlifting one: "push something" [i.e. bench press] "pull something" [i.e., deadlifts], "squat something and get out". I also recommend just doing a single circuit of Nautilus. If you don't know the joys of weightlifting then you've got something wonderful to discover.

Gwendal

2005-05-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: #164873

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
the big advantage to being an overweight woman is that you've got a lot of muscle mass built up from hauling around your bulk. Use it to fuel your metabolism

LOL...that is a great way to look at it, Gwendal! It's true that even at a heavier weight I've always been proud of my strength.

imnotjoking, I agree about trying weight training. I absolutely love it - I keep it simple and do Nautilus circuits. In winter I did upper & lower body, but now that I've stepped up run & bike training I have done less for the lower body and concentrated on upper. It's amazing how it changes not just your body but your self-concept. Even my posture is better -- my shoulders and back feel really strong. It's quite a confidence builder

I also agree with "It's summer -- cross train!" You have such a great opportunity in having a generous amount of time off. Think about: hiking, rock climbing, sailing, paddle sports, or a team sport like volleyball. With your tri training schedule well planned and extra time left over, you have the chance to learn something totally new and fun.

My first tri is this summer. After the race, I plan to keep up my training schedule but will also be training/learning to surf! Trying new skills develops different parts of the body while keeping the mind excited and young...so have an adventure!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to do with my extra time Rss Feed