Baltimore Runing Festival
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 14m 21s
Overall Rank = 1267/3152
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/94
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am. Ate a half an english muffin with almond butter and raisins. Left the house at 5:15 and arrived in Baltimore at 6:45.
Event warmup:

Just light stretching to calm my nerves and met up with my Geico pace group.
Run
  • 4h 14m 21s
  • 26 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I was planning on running with the 4hr. pace group from Gieco. I wanted to be conservative for my first marathon and just finish without injury so I decided on running with the 4:15 pace group. These guys and one girl were so fun, motivating and energetic! I was glad to run with them. Dave, another BT'er had a monkey velcroed to his back and was blowing a horn at every mile. The pace group was loud and fun. Around mile 6, I felt like I was running too slow so I ran at my own pace. I knew from mile 16-20 I would slow down on the incline. At mile 9 my teen daughter was along side the road at the Inner Harbor and I ran over and smacked her a high 5. That was awesome and it gave me another boost of adrenaline. It started raining and became windy around mile 10 but I welcomed this because I started to cool off after the warm temperatures at the start. Around mile 16 we merged with the half marathoners. This was difficult for me because I had a lot of trouble passing them especially on the wet bumpy roads. The merge with the halfers caused the race to be very crowded. So I played it safe and ran conservatively. Around mile 24 I could hear the 4:15 pace group leaders ringing their bells and blowing the horn. They were behind me and a few of them yelled "go Linda" "looking good Linda" That gave me more energy. I ran fast the last 2 miles downhill through Camden Yards to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself faster at 3:5?.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line, the runners had to come to a complete stop. Hundreds of runners were stuck in the runner recovery area since it was so crowded. I would have liked to walk and stretch right away but I had to wait until I could get away from the congestion. After I got some water and a banana, I walked and stretched, met my daughter drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Warm weather for the first hour, that is it. I knew I would finish and I enjoyed all of it!

Event comments:

I loved this race for my first marathon! Thousands of people were cheering for us all over the course, not just at the Inner Harbor. Even throughout the neighborhoods people were cheering for us, it was so motivating! This was an awesome race. I enjoyed seeing so many of the areas around the city.

Last updated: 2009-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:14:21 | 26 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/94
Overall: 0/3152
Performance: Average
Course: I knew this course had long gradual hills and was tough. Mile 1 to 5 and 16 to 20 were pretty hilly. Mile 23 to the finish was a nice gradual downill. This was a great way to see Charm City. I loved the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-16 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

2009-10-16 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2464010

Veteran
Boston
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon
Congratulations on your first marathon! Looks like you had a blast Way to go!
2009-10-16 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2464010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

Excellent race, way to go!  Yes I thought the rain was wonderful too; perfect timing for it.  I saw some finisher pictures with all of us in it, that's funny that I didn't see you when I turned around after we crossed!  Kind of crazy at that finish line.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Rss Feed