Total Time = 2h 59m 33s
Overall Rank = 366/680
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

Escape to Miami

Escape to Miami
Escape to Miami

The "Escape to Miami" is one of the toughest and very challenging Olympic here in South Florida...it's our Alcatraz version...but...a very fun and big Event with about 800 participants...and...for second Year...they held a Sprint Triathlon at the same time...with 536 participants...

The swim can be a difficult trek because currents and wind can aggravate the calm waters of Biscayne Bay and part of the course does traverse the Intra Coastal Waterway - many triathletes do not make the swim cut-off. In addition, we must warn you that the bike can also be a challenging ride because of winds that normally come from the east or whip up off of the bay. The run is also nothing to take for granted, as it also has an incline and limited shade. There is a reason why some triathletes have referred to this as the hardest triathlon they have ever done (some have said it is as hard as a half iron distance race).

It was our 3rd year racing this one...and...We loved it...!!!

Friday Sept.25th:
We had our usual Full Carbo Load at home...We cooked a very delicious Garlic seasoned Pasta with shrimps, broccolis, carrots and corn...very Yummmmy...!!!

Saturday Sept.26th:

Mandatory Day Off for us...

Slept till late...nice...!!! Took a full breakfast: OJ, toasted bagels with cream cheese, slices of turkey, salame and brie on top, eggs, bacon, coffee w/milk and our usual daily multivitamins and minerals, Glucosamine, Amino 1500 and CO-Q-10.

Wiped/lubed/tuned bikes...changed wheels for Race Wheels...prepared/packed all our Race Stuff...and...also prepared beverages for the Race.

Took lunch...lasagna...and...took an 1 hour nap...

Took our bikes to the Mandatory Check-in and for the Pick-up Race Packages at Margaret Pace Park, in Biscayne Bay, Miami...

When We got there...the lines for the Pick-up Race Packages were super-longs...Everybody were there...LOL...there were 4 or 5 lines according with Last Name letters...fortunate...the line for the Last Name D-H was very short...only 3 people in front of us...We got our Race Packages, Bid#'s ,timing chips, and they put us a wristband with Bid#'s to get inside Transition, to take the Ferry and use during the Race...

My Buddy got the Bid# 615 / green cap and me the Bid# 889 / PINK Cap...Yikes...my NOT Favorite color...!!! LOL

Here is the wristband:

Escape to Miami

After that...we had to put the Bid#'s to our bikes to take them to Transition Area...

In our way to Transition Area...saw...our friend Chewie Louis...He was almost at the end of the line...

At the entrance of Transition there were some volunteers doing the Body Marking...but...when We saw in the way they were doing the numbers...like kindergarden kids...We decided to pass...LOL

Placed our bikes in our respective assigned spots...and...covered our bikes with plastic bags just in case...Every Year...We have had rains the day before the Race...and...that day looked overcasted and a storm was coming that way...

Here you can see an aerial view of Transition Area:

Photobucket

And here some pics inside Transition in our way to place our bikes:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

And here my bike before was covered with a plastic bag...

Escape to Miami

And here my Buddy's bike already covered with a plastic bag...

Escape to Miami

Saw my friend Marylou...BTW...her bike was next to mine...talked with her...and...

After that We went directly to home...and...in our way to home...had a very heavy thunderstorm...

At home We put our Bid#'s on our helmets and race belts:

Escape to Miami

And this is the t-shirt that we got in our Race Packages...the ugliest t-shirt that we have had in all our Races...LOL

Escape to Miami

Got an early dinner: a grilled salmon, yellow rice and steams sparragus...Yummmy...!!!

Loaded Transition Bags into the car...and...prepared my usual hot green tea and small piece of chocolate fudge cake...and...went to bed to watch some TV at 8:00 pm...till...8:30 pm when my Buddy joined me to sleep...ZZZzzz...

Sunday Sept.27th:
Woke-up at 3:30 am...We woke-up very early cuz my Buddy needed to take his Ferry at 5:45 am...Got dressed...Took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ and my usual Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and for my Buddy...waffle with PB and coffee...and...our daily packages of multivitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q-10...

Did our own Body Marking and put our timing chips in our left ankles...

Took our coolers with our beverages and left from home around 4:00 am...It took us around 45 minutes to get to the Race place...parked car...and...get to Transition Area 10 minutes before it was opened...

Set-up my Race Stuff like usual: Helmet over my seat, AeroBottle with a mix of water/Cytromax (Tangy/Orange) on the bracket over the AeroBars...the Speedfil Hydration System with water on its cage...and...2 Clif Shot Energy Gels and 1 package of Clif Shot Blocks in my Bento Box...

Placed a green towel in front of my bike and over the biking/running shoes...and next to the running shoes...my hat and Fuel Belt with Bid# and inside the pocket Endurolytes and 1 Clif Energy Gel...and...2 bottles of frozen water...

My Buddy came to say Bye and Good Luck just in case...He needed to take the Ferri at 5:45 am...and...was time to leave for him...

Checked exits/entrances on Transition...my rack was the last one next to the bike exit...and...put my bag and cooler next to the fence...sat over my cooler...relaxed a little...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of the Race...took one Clif Gel and 2 Endurolytes with some water and Cytromax...

Took my Pinky Swimming Cap, goggles and wax ear-plugs and left to the Ferri Area with my friends Susy and Jackie...and when...We got there...there were the last group of men waiting to board the second Ferri...and...We decided to take the Ferri with them...and...found some of our good friends...like Brian Keno (Kenoman) and others...and...Chewie Louis...It was a short but fun trip till the "Escape Island"

Here you can have a aerial view of "Escape Island" located in Intercostal waters in between Miami and Miami Beach...

Escape to Miami Escape to Miami

And here pics of the Ferries...people jumping into the water...

When We got to "Escape Island"...It was still dark...and...the lifeguards were with glow in the dark rings around their neks in their boards...formed in a double line to show us the way to the island...It was great...

When was my turn to jump...and...I saw down to the water...gulp...It was a very high jump...but...It was an exciting adventure...LOL

Event warmup:

It was a short swim...maybe 50 ot 75 mts...got shore...and...there were tons and tons of mens...and...started to try to find my Buddy...It was hard cuz...it was still dark...It took me maybe 20 minutes to find him...LOL He was already with our friend Angelo...

Most of the people were inside the water...the water temp. was nice...maybe around 80oF...the day looked overcasted...huge black clouds were coming...and...very breezy...and...It was a little chilly...

The Organizers came in boats...and...gave us the last instructions...listened the National Anthem...and...there were 2 mass starts...

The 1st Wave (All Pro/Elites Male & Female and All Age Group Males) took off in time at 7:00 am....and in the mid time...the last Ferri was coming with the last group of women...and...after 15 minutes was our turn...

Escape to Miami

Here You can see the Swim/ Bike/ Run legs Maps:

Escape to Miami
Swim
  • 40m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were in the 2nd Wave (All Age Group Females, All Clydesdales, All Athenas and All Relay Temas)...and...We took off in time at 7:15 am...

The beginning was awful...I don't know why I got stucked and trapped like a rat for a huge group of Clydesdales...and...most of them swimming breast stroke....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...!!!

We had to swim till an orange bouy that was located at the north-west from the island...the ocean was a little choppy and we had to swim against a little strong current...

It was very hard for me to get rid for this group of Clydesdales and I lost a valuable time with that...and...It was not after I turned around the orange bouy when finally I got green light...and started to swim with my usual constante stroke heading to the Swim Exit...uffff...!!! I think that I swam like crazy...like Michael Phels to recover my time...LOL...but...in one point...very focused in my swimming...suddenly a lifeguard with his board holding a guy that just rescued...crossed in front of me...and...I almost crashed against it...WTH..????Grrrrrrrrrrr...!!! I can't believed that he did it that...and...made me stop...and...lose time...

Escape to Miami

Continued with my swimming till the Swim Exit...and...when I got there...I knew that If I wanted to get in the top 10 I would need to put a great effort even all the circunstances...and...It was my goal...

Here the Swim Exit:

Photobucket

Got out of the water removing goggles, swim cap, wax ear-plugs and put them inside the swim cap...and...ran but very fast till the mats...

Note: According with most of the people and many of the Garmin Users...the distance was longer...1.2 mile...and...It has sense...cuz...last year I did it in 36 minutes...and...now even all the circunstances...40 minutes...

Here...My Buddy when he got out of the water and me running to Transition...

Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I think that I beat record in my Transition Times...passing tons of women...and...the funny was that a volunteer in the water station at the Swim Exit was following me with 2 cups of water...insisting to give me water...and...I really didn't want anything...I only wanted to recover my time...LOL

It was a long run cuz my rack was the last one...just there...put sunglasses and helmet...biking shoes...took bike and ran out of Transition...the run till the desmount are was not easy...we had to run over some small grassy rolling hills...LOL...
What would you do differently?:

practice and practice...
Bike
  • 1h 18m 24s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Just when I took off with my bike...I cranked like crazy...passing tons and tons of people...I only knew that I was pedaling and pedaling like never in my life...keeping an average of 19 mph....even...this course is very challenging...2 laps...2 big bridges to climb...that means 8 climbs in total...and...strong winds...coming from SW this time...usually come from NE...that means...headwinds/crosswinds going back to Transition....Ufffff...!!!
But I did it great and recover some of my time...

Here You can have a view of one of the bridge...

Escape to Miami

And My Buddy and me in our bikes...

Got to the desmount area...and...did my usual desmount...like the Pro/Elites...but...keeping shoes on...jumped off the bike and ran very fast to Transition....

Train and train...
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Other super-fast transition...

Changed shoes...took off helmet...took my hat and Fuel Belt with Bid# with bottles of water and ran very fast out of Transition...other long run till the Exit...cuz...my rack was the last one...but...I think I beat record...LOL

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 59m 2s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Note: According with Everybody and all the Garmin Users...the run was longer...6.64 miles...and...has sense...cuz...I did in 54m45s last year...and...this time in 59m02s...

Just out of Transition...running fast...put my hat and fuel Belt...and...again other volunteer from the water station out of Transition started following me with 2 cups of waters insisting to give them to me...LOL...It was too funny...and...I only wanted to continued with my Race...and...didn't want to lose time...

I killed by myself in this run...it was brutal and super-hot...and...I really don't know how I did it...but...I passed tons and tons of people struggling...even the conditions...I took 2 Endurolytes with enough water and tossed some over my neck and head...

In this run...at the mile 0.75...We had to climb other long bridge...reaching the mile 1 at the top of the bridge...Uffff...!!!

Photobucket Photobucket

Here My Buddy and me running downbridge after the mile 1...

Photobucket Escape to Miami

I ran and ran as fast as possible...passing more people...and...finally after the mile 2...I started to see some of the women of my AG coming...first my good friend Marylou...then behind her...Amy....and...then Mandy....at this point I didn't know who else were in between this ones and me...and...I increased my speed...and off course...they did the same when they saw me...

Got at the U-turn...and...going back...I passed more and more people and just approching to the bridge...a man...got next to me...and...started to motivate me...telling me "Come on girl...You can do it...lets climb this bridge very fast and pass all these people"...It was really awesome...I really appreciate all his words...It was amazing...but...If I'm not wrong...I counted about 20 persons that We passed before we reached the top of the bridge...at the top of the bridge...I said..."That's it...the Race is over"...We went downbridge super-fast...passing more people...and...sprinted the last 0.75 miles till the Finish Line...and...just before the Finish Line...I saw from far our good friend Chewie Louis...waitinng for me...OMG...He was jumping and cherring me like crazy...and...I rememeber...When He said...You only have 30 second...to get sub 3h...and...I only know that I gave all that I had...I was smoking...and...when I passed the Finish Line...OMG...Exactly...in 2h59m33s....Wuaoooooo...!!!

Here when my Buddy and me passed the Finish Line...

And here the Finish Line:

Escape to Miami

Train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other the Finisher Medal...a pretty nite Medal...

Photobucket

And other volunteer took off my timing chip from my left ankle...that means...I didn't lose it this time...LOL

Went directly to the food area...took some slices of orange and a banana and more water...I was super-thirsty...and...went to wait for my Buddy...that I passed him exactly in the water station in the mile 2...

Went ot check Results...but...my name was not yet in the first Results...wait other 5 minutes...and they posted more results...and...finally and by my surprise...I got:

Age Group Female 45-49: 9th / 20

Overall: 366th / 680 (Not included Clydesdales, Athenas and Relay Teams)

Not bad...even all the circunstances...at least in the top 10...

Just when my Buddy passed the Finish Line and he got cold-down...got some food and water...We went to Transition to get our bikes and collect/pack all our Race Stuff...

Here a view of the chaos of Transition after the Race:

Photobucket

We took our bikes and bags to the car...and...We went back to the Race Area to check Results...and...take some pics...

Here my Buddy with me and with my good friends Susy and Jackie:

Photobucket Photobucket

And here the table with the Awards:

Escape to Miami

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The problems at the Swim Start...with...the Clydesdales...

I know I could do it better...but...even the circunstances...I'm happy with my Results...

Event comments:

Great Event...very well Organized like usual...tons of volunteers...enough water stations...food...etc...etc.

But...I need to add only 2 negatives comments about 2 isolates situations...

First: When the Organizers finally opened Transition Area to get our bikes and Race Stuff...they only opened one exit...and...they didn't want to open the other exit...and...it was a huge line of people...and...everybody wanted to go out...and...they didn't have enough people checking one by one bike with your Bid#s...It was a very hot day...and...the people started to protest...demanding to open the other exit...till one guy jumped the fence with his bike and his Race Stuff and somebody from the Staff came to stop him...and...made him to come back inside...cuz...he would be DQ...WHT...!!! At this point the situation was getting tense and finally the Organizers opened the other exit...but...all of us were already toasted...finally We got out and took our bikes and bags to the car...Ufffff...!!!

Second: A good friend of mine...that finished his Race 16th Overall...BTW...He qualifyed to Clearwater this year...had a very bad experience with the Organizers...His wife was helping in the Race...and...when the Race was almost over...He decided to run the Run Course with his wife...in that way to check how many people were still racing...when they came back...he told his wife to tell the guy that she was helping and was part of the Staff that there were only about 30 participants still running...and...ask for 2 bottles of water...and...the guy...answered "NO...the water is only for the Racers"...and...he came to him and asked nicely again for 2 bottles of water and he didn't want...at this point...my friend got mad...jumped the fence...and...took 2 bottles of water and the guy went to the Organizers to tell them what happened and they decided to penalize him with 5 hours...WTH...!!! a 5 hours penalty...!!! Are you kidding me...???

Now...We named him "Watergate"...LOL...He is the joke in South Florida...LOL

Last updated: 2009-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/680
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:24 | 24.8 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:02 | 06.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-16 11:07 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Escape to Miami

2009-10-20 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2464338

User image

Subject: RE: Escape to Miami

When are they gonna realize that grown-up girls don't always wanna wear pink swim caps!  How bout some fashionable prints like leopard or zebra? 

I love all the pictures and the side by sides with you and your buddy.  It's awesome that you guys can go to the races together, both race and then share experiences afterwards. 

How exciting that must've been jumping off the ship in the pre-dawn lights!  Way to avoid that surfboard, climb over the clydesdales, hammer the bike, survive what sounds like a brutal run, and grab yourself a Sub 3:00 and an excellent AG placement in a tough, competitive Race. 

You Escaped Super-Velo!!

2009-10-27 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
awesome race report Velo!!

the salmon dinner sounds yummy...and really enjoyed all the pictures...would have been cool if you had gotten bib # 888 oh so close.

must be fun passing all those peeps on bike and run. Looked like a long jump to water.

Great Job.

Looks like a very nice race.
2009-10-27 11:57 AM

User image

Philadelphia
A 5-hour penalty? Seriously?

Nice RR. I live in Philly but my folks live in West Palm. I was thinking about doing the new 70.3 in Miami next year, but it sounds really hot! The only thing preventing me from doing it would be if I do the Great Floridian IM which is like a week before...or maybe even IMFL.

Do you think you'll do the HIM next year?  Do you know any races taking place over the winter holiday...can't wait for my "training camp" this winter!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Miami Rss Feed