General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best "Clydesdale Friendly" Half Ironman Triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-06-13 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2477141

Regular
Subject: RE: Best "Clydesdale Friendly" Half Ironman Triathlons?
mgalanter - 2009-10-23 11:28 PM I really enjoyed the Montreal Esprit Olympic Triathlon (also in  Sprint, HIM or IM distance).
The course is  perfectly flat because you bike on the Montreal F1 race course. Its a ~5km loop of perfectly paved blacktop - you can really lay down speed.
The swim is in the 1976 Olympics rowing basin  - a 2km long, 200m wide pool.
The run is a perfectly flat loop around the rowing basin.
http://www.esprittriathlon.com/

This race looks neat.  I wonder about the logistics of US citizens trying to do the race.  I think I am going to do the Rev 3 in Cedar Point that weekend but I will bookmark that one for the future. 

2010-06-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2464708

User image

Veteran
Northwest Pa
I signed up for the Cedar Point 1/2 rev on the basis that it looked fairly friendly to us big boned folks! Some climbing, but more rolling than anything else I would suspect. Lake Erie can get a bit rough, but the 1/2 distance is inside a protected area so shouldn't be too bad.
2010-06-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2477889

User image

entchepl - 2009-10-24 7:08 PM My first half was Boise, Idaho. Mostly flat bike, plus a very flat run course in downtown Boise.

Likewise, did Boise in 2010 and agree.  Bike only has two "real" hills and the run is very flat!
2010-06-19 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Eagleman and Gulf coast tri asr supposed to be pretty flat.  Gulf coast is out of Panama City Beach so similar to IMFL.  A few of the people from the IMFL thread went down to do that race.

I am doing the inaugeral Welland Ontario half IM next weekend.  It should be a very flat course.  Sounds like the bike has less than 100 feet of climbing!  Run is also pretty flat on paved trails which are mostly shaded.  The swim is in the former welland canal so it shouldn't have many waves and will be very easy sighting as we will be close to the shore at all times.  The only draw back is the 450 m run from the swim to transition.  Not sure how I will do that... hopefully it isn't gravelly or have broken glass

Cut off times are generous.  race starts at 8:30 am and course closes at 5 pm so you have 8.5 hours to finish.

Edited by Daffodil 2010-06-19 1:10 PM
2010-06-19 8:29 PM

Burlington
Spirit of Racine is now an official Ironman 70.3 race.  It is very fast and flat.  Biggest hill on the bike course is coming out of transition.  I did it last year and loved it.  I signed up again this year, but I don't think there is a clyde division anymore.  I could be wrong, but I think I had to sign up age group.

The swim can be very cold.  Lake Michigan isn't very warm, but it is short.  It will be interesting to see if they lengthen it now that it's an Ironman race.  Depending on the current/wind the water temp can be 58-65 in a matter of one day.  In the past they did the sprint race on Saturday and the half on Sunday.  Last year the water temp on Saturday was like 56-58 and Sunday around 65.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best "Clydesdale Friendly" Half Ironman Triathlons? Rss Feed  

of 3