General Discussion Race Reports! » The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hull, Massachusetts
United States
The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 9s
Overall Rank = 57/537
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/37
Pre-race routine:

This was a strange one since the race started at noon. I sure haven't mowed my lawn as a prerace warm-up before.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup since the registration lines were so long. I got in a 5 minute jog and then a short swim with Colin.

So, here is the funny part. I was standing around with Colin, Jeff, and Gary and all of the sudden we hear a gun go off and people cheering. I look over and the white caps are already in the water. I have a white cap on. I push through the crowd and go flying into the water. I got a 30-45 second late start. Turns out they ran out of cap colors and I went off with the first wave instead of the third like I was supposed to. i was so jacked up I started passing people right away and had a really great swim. Maybe the premature adrenaline rush killed me because my bike and run were so-so.
Swim
  • 08m 41s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was actually a really really good swim. The per 100 pace useless. This was a very wavy swim with the first half going into a very strong current. I went into my [wrong] wave 30 seconds behind everybody and ended up coming out 10th out of about 55 people. This included all the elite entrants. All the ocean practice on this course really helped out.

It was fun swim too. Huge waves. You'd be picked up by a wave and dropped 6 feet in the middle of your stroke right into a belly flop.

Of the reported swim times (many were left out due to timing mistakes) only three were faster. Comin4yea was one of them!
What would you do differently?:

Start with the right wave.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

This went very well. Estimated time.
Bike
  • 30m 30s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough 10 mile flat course. The wind was insane and the road conditions weren't terrible but not very smooth. I can't tell if I had a bad ride or not. I can't compare to other people due to the timing issues but 19mph is really slow. The wind was really really tough.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I wish I had the time for this because I was flying. I'm pretty sure this was under a minute but I'll estimate it at 1:00 flat. Feet came out of shoes great, flying dismount, ran with bike, rack went well, zoots slid on real fast, and off I went for a crappy run.
Run
  • 23m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I thought I had a terrible run but when I check it compared to my age group winners I was only about 1 minute off. I was around 7:40 and they were at 7:15. The beach run was tougher than a regular road run but I had been practicing so it wasn't a surprise. I don't think I really pushed myself as hard as I could have. My legs were also pretty shot from the bike. Which is terrible given a 19mph avg. I really need to get stronger on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Overall I'd say my intensity was down. After going off with the elites who were all ahead of me I basically raced the whole thing alone. I was pretty much all by myself on the run so I never got that race adrenaline.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around and watched other people finish. It was a great race except for the weather and the mess up with the wave.

Last updated: 2009-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:41 | 440 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/537
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3
Course: Inverted V
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:30 | 10 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:28 | 03 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Beach run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-10-17 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon Rss Feed