Guam Visitor's Bureau
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 21s
Overall Rank = 103/465
Age Group = Master
Age Group Rank = 13/54
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3 am and ate a bowl of cereal and drank some gatorade. Since my hotel was only 1/4 mile from the race start, I just walked/jogged to the start. Used the restroom at the race start area.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little and stretched. Ate a gel pack about 15 minutes before the start.
Run
  • 1h 53m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I was concerned about overheating and hydration due to the hot humid weather. There were eight water/gatorade aid stations along the length of the course and since it was an out and back route, you had 16 aid stations over a 13 mile run. I sipped gatorade or water at every station and dumped a cup of water over my head and down my back at every station. I was pretty warm the first 2 miles, but I was actually pretty darn comfortable the rest of the run.
What would you do differently?:

I obviously did not train enough for this race. I approached this one strictly as a training run and not really a race since I knew I would not perform at what I am capable of. I was 10 minutes slower than my last 1/2 marathon but I was really shooting to beat 2 hrs due the weather and the lack of training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked alot, drank gatorade and had some food. Stretched for about 15 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

This was a great race. It is only the fourth year for this event, but they were so well organized that you would have thought they'd been doing this for many more years. Lots of volunteers at every aid station and as I mentioned, there were lots of aid stations. They even had a huge group pre-race warm up run by the instructors from one of the local fitness centers to some really up beat music. They had a massive food spread available after the race with water, gatorade, vitamin water, and suprisingly, diet pepsi. The food included fried rice, sausage, pancakes, and tons of fruit. This was probably one of the best orgainized events I've ever done and if I'm ever back here in October, I would definitely do it again.

While not my best race performance, I am overall pretty happy with the results. My goal was sub 2 hrs and I made it easily. Next time I'll actually train.

Last updated: 2009-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:21 | 13.1 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/54
Overall: 103/465
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty formidable hill (steep but not that long - about 1/2 mile) about 400 yards from the start. The course drops right back downhill on the other side. It is almost completely flat for the rest of this out and back course except for meeting that same hill at the end. All on the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-17 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Subject: Guam Gatorade Ko'ko' Road Race

2009-10-18 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2465083

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Guam Gatorade Ko'ko' Road Race
I'd say that was a pretty good result for not training or being used to the heat. Great race Sam!
2009-10-19 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2465481

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Guam Gatorade Ko'ko' Road Race
Thanks Mike. I'm happy with the result I got for the effort I put into it. This really was a last minute decision to run. I came out here not even knowing this race existed. I just decided...What the heck, why not?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guam Gatorade Ko'ko' Road Race Rss Feed