United States
Columbus Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 10s
Overall Rank = 1753/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 187/404
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00am, had a PB&J and headed to the race. Burrrrr, it was awfully cold too. Decided to run in pants vs shorts.
Event warmup:

Nodda. I barely even got to stretch. Once I found a place to stand there was no room to stretch. The number of people was amazing! This would definitely be a factor later in the race for me.
Run
  • 1h 55m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really glad just to start running so I could finally get warm. Once we started, it took me 10 minutes to get to the start line. There was so many people that it made it difficult to settle into a pace. I figured that the course would spread out a little after the first few miles, but it didn't. The entire 13.1 miles was quite crowded. I found myself constantly having to slow down,speed up,slow down,speed up......it was the accordian effect out there for a lot of the race.

With that said, about mile 9 my calves started to tighten up A LOT! This was obviously due to my lack of stretching before the race. I was able to run through it with no real issues though. Before I knew it the race was over. It went so fast!

After the race I felt rather unchallenged. I'm not trying to sound like a snot but i'm on what I call a 3 year plan for bigger races in the future. My plan has been to slowly build to bigger races, gain experience racing, so running the half this year was part of that plan, but I knew I wouldn't be content with it.I just have to reel myself in and be patient. Afterall, that's why I came up with a "plan" in the first place.

My goal was to run 8:20's or 30's. I was a little over that, but I have to be happy with it. This was the longest I have ever ran in my life! The fact that I didn't even want to stop once makes me feel good.

With the new timing chip system the Columbus Marathon had this year, you could link your timing chip up with a Twitter account. My wife was able to get real time updates on where I was on the course, as well as my pace and expected finish time. That was really cool. When I got done, my wife knew my actual time before I did because it sent a text to the Twitter account once I hit the finish too. That was really cool!
What would you do differently?:

Gon on a short warm-up run before the race and stretch!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked 1.5 miles back to my car and drove home. I waned to stay and link up with other BT'ers, but I was soaking wet and freezing cold, plus I had to get home for my daughters game.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really hate to make excuses, but if I were to say anything here it would be the number of people on the course. I don't think my time would have been that much faster anyways, so i'm really pleased.

Event comments:

There were tons of volunteers and drink stations. I don't have much to compare it to, as this was my first marathon event, but I thought it was a great experience.

Last updated: 2009-10-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:10 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 187/404
Overall: 1753/
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat, through Bexley and German Village, then back to the Arena District for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-18 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Columbus Marathon (Half)

2009-10-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2465661

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Columbus Marathon
Sub 2 hour half on the first try with energy left - awesome.

8:30's pace will be a great goal for your next one.

Edited by bruehoyt 2009-10-20 1:44 PM

2009-10-21 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Great job! It took me three races at that distance to break 2 hours. Nicely done!

Next year if you can get to the chute sooner, you can find pace groups (look for balloons and signs) that are going at the pace you are aiming for. It will still be crowded, but they will be going the right speed.

Or use my strategy, which is if I see a pace sign or balloons, get the heck away because there is a serious log jam coming up!

It's really tough to get lined up in the right spot, though, because once you are in the corral, you really can't move.  I was annoyed that at .75 miles in, I was still passing walkers. So those walkers must have started in the front, which is pretty inconsiderate. But maybe they just got stuck up there. It really is hard to move in the starting corral.

Nice performance!

2009-10-22 10:15 PM

User image

New user

Good job buddy!  Next year we are going to be finishing the 26.2 together.  Be proud, your time was awesome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Marathon (Half) Rss Feed