United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 14s
Overall Rank = 1514/3276
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 125/172
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel with peanut butter at the hotel. Drank some gatorade on the way to the race. Went to the bathroom at the hotel, as well as, the race site.
Event warmup:

Nothing but trying to stay warm. Had compression shorts with long sleeve dry fit shirt and under armour t-shirt. Wore a stocking hat and gloves. Really cold at the start of the race but warmed up fast.
Run
  • 2h 08m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

It was really cold at the start, especially once I stripped off my sweatpants. It was 33 degrees at the start of the race. The sun was starting to come up and that made a huge difference. After the first 1/2 mile my body was warm and the cold really didn't affect me after that. I kept my hat and gloves on the entire run. This run I ran with my wife so the pace was about a minute slower than my normal pace and this made the race so enjoyable. I felt so much better on this run than I did on my last one. We didn't walk once and I tried to keep teh conversation going to keep her mind off of the race. I am so proud of her for keeping with me as I could tell at mile 10 or so, she was really starting to struggle. She kept the pace and finished with a smile.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate and drank.

Event comments:

Awesome race with awesome features. Aid stations were everywhere. They adverstised alot of bands but I don't think there were as many as they said but it was still great. Medal was awesome, food was great. Overall great race. I will be doing the marathon next year.

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:14 | 13.1 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 125/172
Overall: 172/3276
Performance: Good
Course: 13 mile loop through downtowm Des Moines. It was a pretty scenic course, one of the better ones that I have been on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-19 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: Des Moines Half Marathon

2009-10-19 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2466695

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Des Moines Half Marathon
Nice job on the half!  Des Moines was my first mary last year.  Great venue!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Des Moines Half Marathon Rss Feed