General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men - clothing for FLA IM - tips / tricks needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-19 3:30 PM

Subject: Men - clothing for FLA IM - tips / tricks needed
Gents,
FLA IM wx could be in the 40s or 80, and I will be prepared. The question is the trade off of warmth vs. speed. I am new, and please help.

1. I would rather not wear bike shorts / shirt under my full wetsuit. i volunteered last year, and the wetsuit rippers, clothes helpers, sunscreen dousers seemed to help with fast t1 times. I want to wear swim trunks only and put on the shorts/shirt in t1. worth it to stay dry?

2. If it is cold, what is the tradeoff of wearing a windbreaker vs. bike shirt and arm tights? Consider that i expect to avg only 19-20, as i am no bike demon.

3. i completed the nation's tri in a one piece, so no urination and only 25 miles. would you ever wear a 1 piece with bike shorts over it, to add more padding? Note that i would not mind at all a bit more padding on a boring flat ride. i also have no worries dropping some urine as i ride.

thanks. see you in pan cit.

2009-10-19 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2467408

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Men - clothing for FLA IM - tips / tricks needed
I did IMFL in '06.  It was 40 degrees at swim start.  We were freezing standing on the beach.  I believe the high that day was 75.

-Wear "throw away" socks and cheap flip flops to the beach, then strip them off just before swim start. 
-I wore tri shorts and tri top for the whole race.  I put on arm warmers in T1 and a 'throw away' long sleeve t-shirt.  At the ~mile 40 aid station I threw away the t-shirt.  The arm warmers ended up around my wrists. 
-Wear what you've trained in.  Have you worn the unitard and bike shorts combo in training?  Does it work for you?  I wouldn't wear two padded shorts...but that just me.
-Be aware that the year I did IMFL the change tent was small.  It was so crowded in the tent that you couldn't move without touching a naked man. SurprisedAnd I didn't even need to change.  All I needed to do was get through the tent to T1.  So fully chaning clothes at IMFL could be a challenge.
2009-10-19 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I raced IMFL last year in a tri top and shorts.  I put on arm warmers in t1 and got rid of them at special needs.  My feet and hands were cold for the first hour and then I felt fine.

If this is your first IM, I would take comfort over speed.  In my first, I changed in both t1 and t2. 
2009-10-19 9:14 PM

User image

Just did my first IM and I opted for comfort over speed. I was cold for the first 10 miles on the bike. I did WI this year. Tri top and shorts. I took my times in T1 and T2 and set myself up nicely.

My only advice is wear what you train in. If you haven't trained in cool weather bring extra clothes and make a game time decision in T1 or T2. Also opt of extra stuff in special needs bags... BUT BUT BUT don't rely on your special needs bags and make sure you can race without it. Also another pointer is have some redundancy for everything in the race. 2 sets of salt, etc. etc.

Edited by bskyllin 2009-10-19 9:14 PM
2009-10-19 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

I did tri shorts throughout the race last year but put on a dry short sleeve bike shirt and arm warmers in T1 and then run shirt in T2. It's not really that cold once you get going on the bike, but if you're wet it could feel a lot colder.

2009-10-21 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2467738

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ADollar79 - 2009-10-19 8:03 PM

I raced IMFL last year in a tri top and shorts.  I put on arm warmers in t1 and got rid of them at special needs.  My feet and hands were cold for the first hour and then I felt fine.

If this is your first IM, I would take comfort over speed.  In my first, I changed in both t1 and t2. 

Ditto. My arm warmers were cheap soccer socks as they were tight, longer than most socks and I could cut a couple of holes in the toe section for my fingers. Plus, I could toss them whenever I felt I was warm enough, which was at special needs. I also wore a tight full zip cycling jersey over my tri top to stay warm. I removed it and put it in my special needs bag as I knew I would 'likely' get it back, which I did

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men - clothing for FLA IM - tips / tricks needed Rss Feed