The Running Room
-9C / 16F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 37m
Overall Rank = 450/570
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 72/95
Pre-race routine:

Since we'd decided to stay in Penticton at my parents and drive in for the race I was up a bit early, but that was probably a good thing to get nutrition in a few hours pre race. As usual the pre race routine involved waking sleeping kids and loading them into the van and a quick stop at timmies for Tony's coffee. We got into Kelowna in plenty of time to hit a McD's for the kids Mcmuffins and a pee stop. Then on to find a parking spot.
Event warmup:

Wow, it was so cold. Warm up consisted of shivering and comforting freezing kids who were not happy to be out at 7am in that cold. The potty lines were pretty long, but I figured with the chip it didn't much matter soooo... at the gun of my first marathon I was standing in line for the porta potty. Very anti climactic aftr all that training. lol
Run
  • 4h 37m
  • 42.2 kms
  • 06m 34s  min/km
Comments:

I felt really good heading out ... unfortunately as it turned out too good as I went out much faster than I should have. It didn't help that I misread my pace band at the 5K mark and thought I was behind. So at about the 12km mark when the 4:15 pace bunny group came up behind me I was floored. Yikes, I had no business being ahead of them. I then had delusions of grandeur and tried to keep pace with them, which lasted for about 5 or 6km I think. Then they faded off into the distance. The half way point I was at 2:09 which would have been my fastest half ever and I started having thoughts of a 4:30 time. All was going well until about the 30k mark when I was suddenly stopping more often to walk. It was at this point that I was sure I was having vision problems as every time I slowed to walk it seemed like every thing went blurry in one eye. I was a little worried till I figured out ....Darned smudged sunglasses, nearly cost me the race. lol Also, by this point I was seeing that relying on only aid stations for fluids was a mistake and I was wishing I had brought a bottle with me. I may have cracked 4:30 if I'd had a bottle with my Vega mix in it. Darn. Chalk that up to just not enough time in the week to get better organized. I started taking two cups at each station. I wonder if seeing a discarded 1/2 full bottle of gatorade at the 36km mark and having thoughts of picking it up and drinking it classifies as some strange sort of hitting the wall??? Anyway, no I did not drink the second hand gatorade. I was so happy to see the 38k marker I almost cried... OK so I did cry, just a little ~ but I've had a marathon in the back of my head for so many years it was so great to be actually nearing the end of it, albeit with a killer stabbing stitch that required me to practically do exploratory surgery to apply pressure aand still keep running. I must say those last 5km were pretty tough,the last 2km unbelievably painful, the last 1km was so fantastic I really wish I hadn't been cramping up so bad and could have enjoyed it a bit more. Thank so much to the person who put up the poster board sign " The pain is temporary, the pride last forever" Very needed encouragement in the tail end as it is a back road with little ( read 5 ) spectators. I had to be so careful how I landed and pushed off because my calves/feet were cramping and spasming so bad I was worried if I got it wrong they'd lock and I'd be done for. Finally ran into the park, saw Tony and the kids waiting for me for high fives. Fabulous !!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not get carried away with how rested I felt starting off and stay on an even pace. Maker it to the store that carries the supplement I've been training with for long runs and take it along for the ride !!! Apparently I didn't fully understand the concept of " nothing new on race day"
Post race
Warm down:

The kids loaded me up with some bagels and bananas. I was in pretty rough shape so Tony massaged my calves for a bit while I ate. I felt pretty sick so we didn't wait around long, just headed back to van for the ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ended up faster than I thought so nothing other than not taking out a bottle of my own drink. I think I got too dehydrated even with the cold weather. Oh, and the cold air for the first bit was a bit hard on the lungs.

Event comments:

Great volunteers, beautiful starting point. This was a good race to pick as my first marathon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
04:37:00 | 42.2 kms | 06m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 0/95
Overall: 0/570
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, double loop in the middle
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-19 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Maple Ridge
Subject: Okanagan International Marathon

2009-10-22 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2467447

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Okanagan International Marathon

Great job! Congrats.

It always seems that we get carried away with the pace in the first half...then reality sets in! Darn reality!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Okanagan International Marathon Rss Feed