United States
Ohio River Road Runners Club
Sunny
Total Time = 05m 30s
Overall Rank = 7/68
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

I sat around the house contemplating whether I should make a pot of chili and watch football all day or get my butt up and go do this race.
Event warmup:

Well since the race was only a mile the registration was at the finish and we had to walk to the start. I walked to the half mile marker, ran to the start, back to the 1/4 mile, and then back to the start for a mile warmup.

I saw the really fast looking people do some sort of sprint thing from the start line out about 50 yards so I did a few as well to look cool.
Run
  • 05m 30s
  • 1 miles
  • 05m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I've never tried to just run a mile as fast as I can so I had no idea how to run this. So as soon as the race started I took off like a bat out of hell. I was pretty surprised that I was out in front as we neared the first 1/4 mile. That first quarter I did at a 4:45 pace and wow.... never before have I wanted to call it quits after the first quarter mile of a race but I was already wanting it to be over.

I slowed down a bit for the second quarter, but once I hit the halfway point my brain sorta said, what the hell it's only another half mile. I passed one person in front of me and no one passed me. Once I passed the one guy I was sorta out by myself with a big gap between me and the next person (the first overall woman who dropped a 5:13 and left the race pushing her baby in a stroller.... incredible). I just pushed as hard as I could that last quarter.
What would you do differently?:

I would practice this more so I didn't spend the next 3 hours coughing. I have no idea what it was (running so fast ... breathing in so much cold air so fast... I did notice I was breathing very heavily which is odd for me) but my throat is sore a day later from all the coughing...
Post race
Warm down:

I stumbled around wondering why I couldn't stop coughing and waited for the results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I was trying to break 6:00 so I'm friggin estatic with a 5:30!

Event comments:

A fun race. I wish they would have let us know about the timing problems earlier so we could have all gone home instead of waiting around for an hour, but I'm sure they'll have it all sorted out next time. Another quality race put on by the ORRRC.

Last updated: 2009-10-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:05:30 | 01 miles | 05m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 7/68
Performance: Good
Course: A really flat road through the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes