Skaneateles Labor Day Race Weekend
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 57s
Overall Rank = 135/503
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/42
Pre-race routine:

Here it is, the race last of the year. I signed up for the “I’m all that” which is the triathlon on Saturday followed by a 1-mile open water swim (Escape from the Judge) on Sunday morning, a 2-mile uphill bike time trial (Coon Hill Grind) in the afternoon and a 4-mile road run in the early evening. I wanted to do well in all the events. I went up Friday night and stayed at my Dad’s place in his camper parked in his driveway. This was nice, it had a fridge and large bed to sleep on, not bad for being away from home.
Event warmup:

It was cold and raining to start the day so I sat in my car until about the last possible minute. I actually put my wetsuit on in the car before walking to transition.
Swim
  • 16m 24s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my best swims of the year. The course is only a sprint but I felt that I held a good pace for the entire swim. Help my line pretty well and even tried to draft a little. I still need to work on the whole drafting thing but overall I was happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Because it was so cold out I decided to put bike sleeves on before the bike. I had to rummage through my bag to find them because I forgot to lay them out prior to the race. This added some time to my T1 but I was glad I had them on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Set out sleeves before race.
Bike
  • 44m 24s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

It was raining to start the bike so the roads were wet. This did not help as the course had a lot of sharp turns that required frequent braking. This is the first race that I actually felt good at the start of the bike. A few of the turns where a little dicey as I was attempting to pass people prior to the turn and they would swerve into the left part of the road forcing me to brake to avoid a collision. This happened a couple of times and was a little aggravating. In hindsight I should yell louder to let them know that someone is passing. The course also had a few gravel roads that made it tough to move, especially with the wet conditions. Again, I saw Greg near the end of the bike and we entered T2 together.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Running into T2 I did a flying dismount and my had to run through some mud. My socks got very muddy so I decided to ditch them and go with no socks for the run. Also left the sleeves in transition as the sun came out and it was starting to warm up.
Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a fair run. It starts with about a 1-mile climb and then has flat section and the end is a downhill grade. I felt strong on the run and really pushed myself here to finish strong. Nothing terribly eventful here, just a solid run that I was pleased with.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race we hung out and took a boat cruise on the Judge. They showed us Dr. Seuss’s house on the lake and a few other point of interest. At one point they told us we where one mile form shore and man did it look FAR! I guess in a race you only look at half the distance.

Sunday morning I boarded the Judge again and went out for the one mile swim. I hung out on the upper deck and chatted with a few other people. When we arrived a few of us jumped off the top of the boat into the water. We tread water for a few minutes before the start. I noticed that they had scuba divers underwater watching us. This was kind of unique as I have never noticed that before. The swim back to shore was about average for me. There were plenty of buoys in the water so I stayed on course fairly well.

After some lunch and a beer at the only bar in town we went to the ski club for the coon hill grind. I have never done a bike TT so this seemed fun. We went off on 30 second intervals, I was about 15 people in. There was a quarter mile flat section that lead to the hill to start and I caught the person in front of me before the turn. After that it was a grind up coon hill. I really could have pushed a lot harder up the hill but being my first TT I didn’t know what to expect. Once I hit the top I just shifted into a big gear and sprinted to the finish. This was about half a mile of flat to slight downhill road and I really felt like I was moving. My time was okay but I really could have pushed a lot harder on the hill. Next time.

After a little nap and some food it was time for the 4-mile run. I seeded myself near the front of the line and we bolted from the get go. The first mile was all down hill and we hit the one-mile mark in 5:15. Wow that’s fast. It did not last. The next two miles where fairly flat with one wooded section to run through and a few creeks to cross. After the fast start I was slowly being passed by a few people along the run. The last mile was uphill and this was hard as I went out hard and tried to keep the pace. I slowed down a little here and lost some ground to a few people. With a quarter mile left I looked over my shoulder and really pushed to the finish to avoid being passed at the finish. 28 minutes, good time, good enough for third in my age group. I have never won anything so it was cool to win a pint glass for having a good run, especially after the long weekend of racing.

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:24 | 800 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/42
Overall: 266/503
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleevless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:24 | 14 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/42
Overall: 116/503
Wind: Little
Course: One loop course. This was a hilly sprint course. Lots of ups and downs and sharp turns.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:40 | 03 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/42
Overall: 114/503
Performance: Good
Course: 1-loop with start uphill and finish downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?