General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
Detroit Free Press / Flagstar Bank
38F / 3C
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

have my normal breakfast oatmeal + blueberry + banana + bagel + 2 eggs

Walk around and help my wife to look for the volunteer booth as warm up.
Event warmup:

dress many layer to keep myself warm, walk around the course
Run
  • 4h 48m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

too cold in the beginning. takes forever to warm up. should have wear tight. good decision to wear crappy clothes and ditch them at 2-3 miles.

However, I loss my pace and run way too fast when I thought of "downhill free speed" (1st big mistake!!!). Then I tried to break off the 4:45 group after potty. (2nd big mistake!!!)

right leg trashed at half way point (probably due to cold weather + downhill free speed). Basically using my left legs to complete the race at mile 14-16
What would you do differently?:

consume less fluid. Less potty. follow the pece group. DO NOT speed up downhill!
Post race
Warm down:

can't really warm down because I can't move. went to the massage and let them take care of the business. Awesome folks!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor planning. start off too fast. There is no such thing call "downhill freespeed" in marathon.

Event comments:

The enjoyment running this course override all the poor mistake I made. The scenic of the course is like going through the last few years of my life. I enjoy every moment of it. the cheer crowd, the course, all the runners who run with me, the volunteer at the aid stations, the bridge, the feeling of going home crossing the Canada border, the river side that I used to run everyday, the tunnel, rencen, cobo hall, the cheering crew along the way, downtown, belle isle, waterfront... seeing the local cheering in front of the urban ruin make me feel more attached to Detroit. It is a wonderful experience.

Best part, my wife put the medal on my neck when the race is over! (She volunteer at the finish line!)

Last updated: 2009-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
04:48:38 | 26.2 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 289/
Overall: 2885/
Performance: Average
Course: Front of FreeP building -> bridge -> river side -> tunnel -> cobo -> west side residence area -> campus one -> greek town -> east side residence area -> belle isle -> riverfront -> downtown again -> FreeP building again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-21 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon

2009-10-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2470957

User image

Subject: RE: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon
Great Job Yorkee!!!!

Maybe next I will join you
2009-10-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2470957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Flushing
Subject: RE: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon
Great Job! I wish I would have been able to do this race with you but I had to cancel. You sound like you had a great time on the course and that is what matters. It was your first and you learned a lot from it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon Rss Feed