Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Frankfurt Germany Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-22 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Subject: Frankfurt Germany

So I am probably going to frankfurt for 2 weeks around thanksgiving for work.  Does anybody have any recommendations on where to stay or what to do?  My only requirement for a hotel is that it has to have internet access so I can BT and so I can do school stuff while I am here.

I am considering renting a car (I know there are a couple hotels close to our headquarters that are within walking distance),  I dont know any german,  and I would really like to run while I am there.

Thanks

Shortyy

Edited by Shortyy 2009-10-22 12:49 PM

2009-10-22 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2473821

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Frankfurt Germany
Can't help you on locations to stay, but to drive you need to get an international driver's license before you go over.  Driving in Germany can be quite different from the states, and I would totally suggest checking out a drivers manual online (you can find them, cause military members have to study and take a test over there) so you're not clueless on what some of the signs mean.

There is tons to do near Frankfurt, to include a nice little town called Rudesheim.  You ought to travel by train there though as you probably will consume (if you drink) more than you should.  It is in the Rhine River Valley, so lots of wines, and the shops all offer samples of so many different things. Be sure to enjoy a Rudesheimer coffee, it'll warm you up for sure. Not too far from Frankfurt is the town of Trier which was a Roman city and it has significant archealogical remains of that time frame. Another place to head to that is basically next door to Frankfurt is Heidelberg.  The Heidelberg castle is great to visit, it has a wonderful Walkplatz (walking area only with shops and restaurants)...I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant I ate at there...I want to say it was the Golden Lamb or something like that--AWESOME GERMAN and it's right down near the church in in the Walkplatz.  Heidelberg is a university town and it also was well preserved during WWII. You could definitely make it a nice evening/weekend visit. 

The train is not too difficult so long as you can make out a little bit of German.  However, many Germans in that region speak fairly good English as well.  If I have a chance this weekend or next week, I'll take a look in a couple of my books and let you know some other places that might be nearby.  From late '02-late '05 I lived in Kaiserslautern, about 1.5 SW of Frankfurt.  Germany is great!!  If I can ever get stationed there again, I will!
2009-10-22 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2473939

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

Since i'm only going to be there for 2 weeks and not establishing residency, I can drive using my current license.  But going and visiting the castles sounds like a great idea.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

2009-10-22 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2473974

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I went for work about 5 years ago and since they were footing the tab, I stayed at the Intercontinental.  It was within walking distance of the center business part of town and right on the river.  Perfect for a place to run! The hotel was VERY nice.

I would personally look into a tour for one weekend to see the sights.  Without knowing German, it just seems to make sense to me.  I'm thinking something in a tour bus.

Frankfurt itself has a normal, vibrant, city scene.  It's a cosmopolitan city with shopping, gourmet eating, etc.  They have a small part of town that is more cutesy where you can have spaetzle and the like.  There's also something to do with apples... I honestly cannot remember.  But I would say I heard about this area of town without even looking for it.  It's the touristy thing to do.

One thing I considered while there, and regretted not doing, is flying to another European city.  You can probably get cheap tickets to make places and it's easy to fly anywhere from Frankfurt.  Back then I found tickets to London, I think, for about $100 round trip.  I didn't buy them a few weeks out and then they got too expensive.

Not knowing German will not be an issue in Frankfurt.  It's a business town and everyone speaks english.  They even have an English speaking movie theater.  When you arrive at a restaurant, just say "Guten Abend" (good evening) and they will bring you the English menu

Have fun!

2009-10-22 1:47 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

I've been there numerous times, my US Driving license sufficed.  Then again, never did get pulled over on das Autobahn.

When we stayed in Frankfurt, we usually just stayed at the Airport hotel.  It was very Americanized, near the airport and you had to listen closely to hear anyone speaking German.  But we were there on business, not really a "taking in the German culture" type trip.

We would always head down to Heidelberg (for business).  Great castle down there, about 90 minutes south (if I remember correctly) - Autobahn the whole way w/ no-speed-limit portions for most of the way.

As for running, can't help you there as my experience with my Germany trips where either (1) no time for working out; or (2) hotel gym.

But can say one of the best times of my life was citing in an outdoor place in the town of Waldorf, just south of Heidelburg.  Steins and schnitzels.  Yummmmm....

2009-10-22 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2474008

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

One more thought after reading the other response.  The train is the way to get around in Europe and I am certain you can easily find day trips to all the good sites if you're adventurous.  The Intercontinental was near the train startion (Hauptbahnhof) and from there the world is your oyster. 

2009-10-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2474016

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Okay, one more thing.  Basically I am uber jealous and am living vicariously through your experience.

I looked at an interactive map thing on the Intercontinental site and they have running maps at the concierge desk!  Even if you don't stay there, I vote you walk in and ask for a map.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/city-tour/interactive-map/frankfurt

Eta:  Maybe I should come with you, I speak a little Deutsch

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2009-10-22 1:52 PM
2009-10-22 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
I would not rent a car. You will pay up the wazoo to park, it just isn't worth it. The train is much easier (and you can drink and then get on the train!)
2009-10-22 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I go to Germany regularly, unfortunately for you I go to Bavaria (Southern Germany), so no help on hotels or sights there. However, since you don't speak German here is some help:

Ein Bier Bitte (One Beer please.) [BTW You can subtitute Helles for Bier]
Zwei Bier bitte (two beers please)
Drei Bier Bitte (Three Beers please)
Herren Toilette? (Men's room?)
Die Rechning bitte.: The bill please
Zahlen, bitte.: I'd like to pay please
Was konnen sie empfehleu?: What would you recommend.
Wie gehs es Dir? (How are you?)
Danke, gut: Thanks, fine
Schlecht: Bad;
So lala: so so
Und Dir? And you
Wieviel Uhr ist es? What's the time?
and...
Farad: Bicycle!!!!

Edited by DougRob 2009-10-22 2:46 PM
2009-10-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2474136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
DougRob - 2009-10-22 1:45 PM

I go to Germany regularly, unfortunately for you I go to Bavaria (Southern Germany), so no help on hotels or sights there. However, since you don't speak German here is some help:

Ein Bier Bitte (One Beer please.) [BTW You can subtitute Helles for Bier]
Zwei Bier bitte (two beers please)
Drei Bier Bitte (Three Beers please)
Herren Toilette? (Men's room?)
Die Rechning bitte.: The bill please
Zahlen, bitte.: I'd like to pay please
Was konnen sie empfehleu?: What would you recommend.
Wie gehs es Dir? (How are you?)
Danke, gut: Thanks, fine
Schlecht: Bad;
So lala: so so
Und Dir? And you
Wieviel Uhr ist es? What's the time?
and...
Farad: Bicycle!!!!

A couple minor corrections.

One would not ask for a Helles in Frankfurt (only in Bavaria): Ein Bier Bitte is the best way.

Dir is the familiar form of 'you' and I would not use it initially with anyone: "Wie Gehts" is what I would use. However, be ready for a long and lengthy dialogue on how they are, it is not like a quick "hey, how are you" we would say here.

2009-10-22 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
You are right, to someone I don't know I would use Wie gehts Ihnen? I did not know that about Helles, but since I only go to Munich or Regensberg I have ahd no reason to know that. At least my emphasis on beer was right.

2009-10-22 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Just don't eat at McDonalds or a Burger King....

I have bucket of envy right now reading this thread.   

Nix the rental car.  Besides trains, hop on the subway (U-bahn), street cars, and buses.  They are numerous and run on time.     Also there should be a bunch of fall festivals going on...with Beer Tents......and food....and schnapps....

I lived in Nurnberg for 3 years eons ago and that is what they called their subway ( i think).

Oh yeah, find a Schwimmbad (aquatic center) and get some training done, also   look for the coed nude saunas.......excuse me if i offend anyone.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2009-10-22 3:45 PM
2009-10-22 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2474265

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

They have a lightrail train in Frankfurt.  I didn't ride it, but I was almost plowed down by it.  Quiet train! 

Regarding McDonald's - I would go once.  I like going to McD's in other countries.  They have different stuff and it's often made to order and better tasting.  Just sayin.

2009-10-22 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Ok McDs once, because they do sell beer there.
2009-10-23 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

Thanks for all the replies.  I found out I will be getting a pool car from our vehicle test group while over there because I will be transporting parts back and forth between 3 of our facilities.  But  I may wind up parking the car when not working and taking the train.  That does sound like the best option. 

Although depending on what kind of car they give me (we tend to work on several high end european sports cars) i may have to take a trip down the autoban....

I'm just picturing some version of national lampoon's european vacation while I am there.  Or i'll be completely lost somewhere and not be able to communicate with anyone where I need to go.  Must remember to pack the dictionary and I really need to think about learning German (dont have enough time to do so before this trip)

Edited by Shortyy 2009-10-23 7:57 AM
2009-10-23 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2475245

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
"Ausfahrt" means EXIT, it is NOT the name of a huge town...

2009-10-23 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
My wife is a flight attendant and we'll probably be there during Thanksgiving for a few days on her layover. The Continental Airline crews stay in Mainz, and I would say that's a great way to go if you have the option. I used to go visit one of my friends, who was studying in Wurzburg, and I'd fly into Frankfurt. Of many major European cities - my wife and I both agree - Frankfurt is one of the least beautiful, although there are nice pockets. I would encourage what you were thinking and I'd get out of Frankfurt as much as possible - it's so much more beautiful in the smaller towns outside of there. Mainz is only about 25-30 minutes and you can have great food and beer on the riverside, then go back to your hotel. If you do want to hit the autobahn - head down to Wurzburg - there are castles interspersed, but the main draw would be an opportunity to visit The Residenz - which has the largest fresco ceiling outside of the Sistine Chapel. This work, done by Tiepelo, represents the world and the "new world" part of America is fascinating. He painted animals by description, having never seen them in person. The rest of the Residenz is a great hall/estate that has beautiful gardens and an extremely elaborate Rococo style. There is a great small market and old-town feel in Wurzburg, too.

As for runs - I just take off when I am in Europe and have never had problems. I really get to see the cities that way. In fact, that's how I most often find great little restaurants to visit later.

Have fun!
2009-10-23 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just take me with you. I speak fluent German and would be happy to interpret in exchange for flights and hotel. I lived there for 2 years and know the people, language, and culture intimately.  PLEASE?
2009-10-23 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
I am in Wiesbaden, 10 minutes from Frankfurt. 15 minutes for the slow ones.
However, i will be going on leave starting on November 21st.

They are not kidding about the parking being insane. Its terrible here in Wiesbaden.

Go to Mainz like someone said. Go for a run down the Rhine river!!! Cant get lost........lol.

If you are feeling really adventurous, rent a bike and ride up to the top of Grosser Feldberg. Highest "mountain" in the area. 900 meter elevation!!! Yes there is a concession stand at the top to refill your water bottles. Its right on the outskirts of Frankfurt.

The Euro exchange rate is not to great, 1.65 dollar to the Euro. Gas is real expensive on the economy. 1.20 Euro for a liter!!!

Frankfurt is a big city, lots of people can speak English. You will be able to get around and do stuff, as long as you dont mind asking strangers stuff. Should have seen me buy my wetsuit.........lol.

You have got to try some German bread, many different varieties.

Anything else, just ask........I could go on forever.

Edited by Laffenguy 2009-10-23 4:15 PM
2009-10-23 11:35 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
If you do end up renting a vehicle one other town you may want to check out is Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  Google it - very pretty town.
2009-10-24 1:24 AM

New user

One other thing to note, if you do rent a car keep in mind that there are actually speed limits on certain sections of the autobahn and other roads. While most of the autobahn has no speed limit there are sections that do, especially around towns and construction zones. Pay attention the them, they use automated speed traps that you may never see but for which you will pay hefty fines to the rental agency when you return the car. The speed traps work sort of like the red light cameras except you may never see the flash, especially during daylight hours. Also, when flying out from Frankfurt leave plenty of time at the airport as it is huge, much bigger than most in the US. They actually have signs telling you how long a walk it is from the sign to gates XX - ZZ, and I have seen signs that are in excess of 30 minutes walking!

Sorry, no recommendations for hotels in frankfurt, most of my time there has been in the waden wurttemberg region which is the south west area, a few hours south of frankfurt, black forest region which is cool in itself and very scenic. There are some great areas to ride your bike in that part of the country... if you take your bike let me know and I can give you some good suggestions on places to ride in the south west.

2009-10-24 3:34 PM

I always wanted to go
2009-10-24 3:35 PM

Edited by Runr79 2009-10-24 3:35 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Frankfurt Germany Rss Feed