General Discussion Race Reports! » Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon - New Orleans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon - New Orleans - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
New Orleans, LA
United States
Premier Event Management
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/45
Pre-race routine:

Volunteered the day before for the GirlPower Tri, which turned out to be a BIG mistake. We did the body marking and timing chip retreval. We were contstanly bending down which wore out our Quads. Didn't start to realize this until late that night.
Event warmup:

Hoped on the bike for a quick spin. Swam out to last buoy and back.
Swim
  • 39m 53s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Out to first buoy went well, at each buoy had problems circling the buoy. Navigation was dead on. I don't think I could have swam a straighter line to each buoy. Did draft occasionally, but it was hard to see the the swimmmer and continue to draft. I would get out of balance at each buoy and it became hard to start moving again. About 1/2 the way through each lap I would regain my form (or what is of it) and start doing better. The beach exit had lots of rocks which made it difficult to run into the water and onto the beach. Swim to transition area run time of 1:58
What would you do differently?:

Draftting skills could be improved. Open water swimming balance could be improved. Maintained head too high.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Swim to trans run time of 1:58
Transition 1:44
Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking went fairly well except for the drafting penalty.
What would you do differently?:

Maintain head down aero position longer.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Missed bike rack by one lane, had to run around.
Run
  • 1h 10m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate double loops. After getting off the bike, the quads were sooo sore, I knew that just keep moving forward was the only option I had. Was just determined to not walk. Slow I did run, but I never walked.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, took in 4 scoops Recoverite total.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Soreness in quadracepts from volunteering the day before.

Event comments:

Forgot aerobottle, but drank out of rear cage bottle well, just not enough. Race time is inclusive of 2:00 penalty.

Goal time was a sub 2:45. In pre-race training bricks, I was able to accomplish a sub 9:00 minute mile pace. That would have put me closer to my goal time, had my legs been able to handle the speed. My swim was off my projected goal time of 0:36 by 4 minutes. The first trans took an extra minute longer than planned. Improvements in these areas will put me closer to my goal time, next time around.

http://www.nokiasugarbowltriathlon.com/

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:53 | 1500 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 36/45
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Beach out to buoy, right turn out to 2nd buoy, back to first buoy, 2 laps then to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:00 | 24.85 miles | 21.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/45
Performance: Average
Wind SSW9
Wind: Some
Course: Lakefront loop with circle around UNO
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:00 | 06.21 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/45
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop around by lakefront to Robert E. Lee.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-29 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon - New Orleans

2005-05-29 8:06 PM
in reply to: #165271

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon - New Orleans

That'll teach you not volunteer for the "much needed" body marking at an all-girl triathlon! (kidding)

Impressive job navigating on the swim! 80+ degree water temps?? LUCKY! Killer bike split - if you'd gotten 10 penalties, I still wouldn't have been able to catch up with you  (hell, if you DQ'd I still probably wouldn't have caught up with you!). Way to hang in there and continuing to run when your quads were telling you otherwise! (OK I've showed up at the wrong jetbridge before, so I won't laugh at you going to the wrong bike rack!)

Even though you didn't hit your goal, it still sounds like there were many good points to your race. (but is Joann going to have to make sure you pack all your stuff for the bike now?!)

Keep up the great training & racing! Ahhhhhh Recoverite - it does a body good! Good stuff!

2005-05-29 8:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I am bummed I didn't meet you and your wife. Funny thing, my wife is the lady you are chasing up the hill in that last picture (light blue top).

I made a similiar mistake on working at the Girl Power. I didn't volunteer but I was supporting 4 ladies and then acting as photographer. I ran around way too much and my feet were wasted when I got home Saturday evening. You did a great race and had a really awesome bike split. The run felt so hot today, must be the humidity right.

Congrats and hope to meet you at another event. Hopefully we will be racing Abitaman on the North Shore next Sunday.

Ken
2005-05-29 9:58 PM

Elite Veteran
In spite of your problems, your time sounds phenomenal. You'll be pretty scary when you run a flawless race. Congrats on a great effort,
2005-05-30 7:15 AM
in reply to: #165322

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
LOL, it is funny how you get other people in your pictures. Our times were almost identical for abitaman #1, I bet we have pics of you guys in that too.
2005-05-30 9:52 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
great race... they don't have the penalties listed.     I'd love to come down around to LA/MS and do a race... I have plenty of family in that area.  We considered moving to Mandeville a few years ago after hubby got a job offer there, but it wasn't enough though. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon - New Orleans Rss Feed