Canada
12C / 54F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 14m
Overall Rank = 1163/1930
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 41/95
Pre-race routine:

Normal. Bowl of cereal. Most of my stuff was ready to go.
Event warmup:

None in particular. Other than huddling in the open buidling to keep warm. It was a chilly morning! I was feeling nervous. I wasn't sure what to expect.
Run
  • 4h 14m 32s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 06m 02s  min/km
Comments:

So, this was to be my get even with the marathon date and go sub 4 but things weren't really working out leading up to the race. I am incredibly dedicated to training but this season was different. A few long runs got pre-empted and cut short due to circumstance - one was a violent thunderstorm, one was a stomach that wasn't having a long run that day, and the final one was kicking a curb while barefoot on vacation three weeks before the race. In fact two of my toes were still sore on race day. I had tested it out and I could run. But I just knew I wasn't where I have been for other races but I didn't want to be negative and kept up with my running buddy who was feeling it.

So, I stuck with my running buddy and I kept up pretty well to keep me sub-4 through the half way mark. The first half has a bunch of rolling hills and my quads were killing me. I wasn't used this this kind of soreness. I think it clicked through half at 1:55 - still in good shape. I had one gel at the hour mark and as i thought about taking the second one at the two hour mark it didn't seem appetizing. But i did want gatorade. Was it a wise move to have something I didn't do in training? hmmmm. I was feeling good it was just my quads. I realize i shredded them on the downhills. I decided to do the gatorade. If my stomach revolted well, that's the price. so i had gatorade and it tasted good.

By this time my running buddy was long gone and I was struggling as I came to km 30 at 2:47 which was the same pace as a 30k race earlier in the year so I was still in range of sub-4. Okay. Was I going to be able to do this? There was enough time ...but mentally I was sagging and my quads really hurt.

I should mention that it was a gorgeous day out for running. Sunny, cool and the fall colours just starting to peek out. And the Toronto Marathon is one of my favourite races.

I took a quick walk and made it to 32k and still had enough time ...
I decided not to force it and let the day be and not be upset with myself. Because last fall when things fell spectacularly apart (because I was sick) I was upset and this is all for fun so I needed not to be so hard on me - I was out marathoning afterall - which is still fantastic. It's no small accomplishment! A time is a time and matters to no one but me. So, i hobbled it along with alot of walking. And managed to cross at 4:14. An awful negative split but i still walked away a 5-time marathoner. And a decent time. It's not my best and not my worst.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have started slower. I do actually know how to pace a marathon and have done it well and i should have let my running buddy go on her own from the start. Otherwise, not sure. I probably peaked earlier in the year with my half marathon PB and didn't rest enough - I have been training since January for various events.
Post race
Warm down:

The medal for this race is HUGE!! Not too much. Got food, found my support crew (fiance) and loaded up for more gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training cycle wasn't optimal. Injuring my toes within three weeks of the race.

Event comments:

I really like this race. The weather is usually fantastic for running and even though i shredded my quads on the up/downhills I like the variety.
Lots of aid stations. This race has me mulling over another to get my revenge on the marathon. I know I can pace better!

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
04:14:32 | 42.16 kms | 06m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 41/95
Overall: 1163/1930
Performance:
Course: Down a main street in Toronto - rolling hills to start. Varying scenery - urban to forested valley to downtown streets to waterfront path. Finishes on a slight uphill for about 2k and finish line is around a big circle. Nearly impossible to see until you're there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-23 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Toronto Marathon

2009-10-24 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2476631

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Toronto Marathon
I think you said it best with "It's no small accomplishment! A time is a time and matters to no one but me.... I still walked away a 5-time marathoner. "  You've accomplished more in 29 years than others have in a life time and you should be really proud of yourself!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Marathon Rss Feed