General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating & Playing before and after race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-24 2:42 PM

Subject: Eating & Playing before and after race
Hi Guys,I'm coming to Florida from Indiana Nov 6th Friday - Nov 9th Monday & doing the Int'l MiamiMan on Sunday. I'm looking for high quality food to eat during my visit. I like veggies, salads, pasta, chicken - anything not swimming in fat really. Any suggestions for good restaurants with quality ingredients since I can't cook for myself?Also, looking for some fun in the sunshine state. Of course there's the beach but anything cool a local might know about that a tourist wouldn't? I like nature & animals (will see the zoo during the run so thinking more of a preserve or refuge or just a little unknown place to kayak or hike) and also trendy/urban. I could do South Beach if I knew where to go/what to do. I'm also a tea freak (got me off diet coke) so even an interesting tea/coffee house would be fun.Any recs greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2009-10-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2477627

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Eating & Playing before and after race
If you are willing to drive just a bit south (about 1 hr from Miami) to Key Largo, they have a lot of great activities. Off shore fishing, Snorkeling on the reels, scuba diving is some of the best in the world.  John Pennecamp State Park has a nice location to do it all. 
South Beach is easy.  Park anywhere on A1A or side streets and walk the beach front.  You'll be entertained for hours.
Everglades air boats ride are a little touristy but all the same, a good do it at least once experience.
Can't help with the food.  I live in South Florida but not that close to Miami to know the best restaurants.
2009-10-27 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2479596

Thanks for the activity suggestions. I'm on it.
2009-10-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2483152

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
if you go North on the FL turnpike for about an hour-to W Palm Beach, there's the Lion Country Safari
www.lioncountrysafari.com      a drive-thru park with 800 Wild Animals , it is a popular family attraction.

At first I thought it was a little pricey (maybe $24 pp???) but the experience was unique and well worth it. There's a $5 pp off coupn on their site.  We did this and the airboat ride on the everglades the same day.  Not too far one from the other.

Don't forget your printed shirt and flip-flops
2009-10-28 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2477627

New York, New York
South Florida is loaded with endless opportunities for things to do on the weekend..and the food is spectacular!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating & Playing before and after race Rss Feed