FIRM
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 6s
Overall Rank = 251/286
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 19/21
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 6:00 and got dressed. Had 3/4 cup of oat meal with soy milk. I grabbed a reg. cup of DD coffee on the way to the race (starting to be a tradition). I wore my bike shorts - a long sleeve T and my blue bike shirt.
Event warmup:

I biked for 10 minutes to warm up. I waited in line for 15 minutes for the rest room (how do you only have 4 porta-potties!) and then decided to just take a run in the woods. Right before the start ) I stretched out but still felt really stiff. I have had a sore knee all week and haven't run at all.
Run
  • 31m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off this run dead last. I ran the first mile in 9:37 and really tried to run as slowly as possible. I made it my mission to let other people set the pace with the intention of staying nice and slow. My knee hurt a little but otherwise I was fine. I met a couple of people and we had nice conversations as we ran along. As I neared the finish, I really hoofed it so I could make one more pass.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure - I know I need to pick up the pace - but I really don't know how to do it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I felt like this was a good transition.

I wish I had remembered to put on my biking gloves before I got on the bike.
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 11 miles
  • 14.46 mile/hr
Comments:

My gear changer really wasn't working well - I spent the first minute trying to get my bike in gear!!! (I also lost my chain mid-way up a hill - major bummer!) I really pushed the pace. There were a bunch of times when I thought I should slow down - but I kept the pace up - hoping to make up some time.

I can't wait until I get a new bike. I don't feel like I am going that slowly. I also feel like I need to pick up my pace on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

This transition was bad. I had problems getting my bike on the rack (someone had put their bike into my spot and I couldn't get my bike under the bars). I grabbed a gu and drank some Gatorade.

Remember to take off my helmet. A nice woman reminded me.
Run
  • 19m 25s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I really pushed it. A started off with some Gu and Gatorade... I kept kept marking people and passing them. There was a nice flag woman named Sue who got me laughing each time I passed her. I got her name, she knew mine and we kept yelling at each other each time I passed her. I was so tired for this part of the race - but I finished really strong - making my last pass as I ran towards the line.

Not much - I gave it my all!
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a banana, a rice crispy treat, and a granola bar. I laid down on the grass and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My general conditioning and injuries. As I type this my feet and knees really hurt.

Event comments:

OK - The coolest thing about today was the fact that I got to race against Dick Hoyt and his son. Just to be in the same place with these two inspirational people really made my day! However, I might like to try something else next year.

Last updated: 2009-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:48 | 03.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 277/286
Performance: Average
Course: Really nice! The course was mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:45:38 | 11 miles | 14.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/21
Overall: 239/286
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A nice course with two major hills. I was pleased that I was not one of the riders who had to get off their bikes and push it up the hill. I also didn't like that part of the ride was on Route 140 - which I felt was really busy!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:19:25 | 02 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 236/286
Performance: Average
Course: A repeat of the first part of the 5k - with a chunk cut off.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-25 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Halloween Wrentham Duathlon

2009-10-25 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2478514

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Subject: RE: Halloween Wrentham Duathlon
Good job, had 2 people walking their bike up the 1st hill that I passed. Got the burning didn't they!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Halloween Wrentham Duathlon Rss Feed