Lions Gate Roadrunners
7C / 45F
Overcast
Total Time = 42m 20s
Overall Rank = 164/947
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 19/64
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early but stayed in bed. Thought about walking to the race but decided to take my truck since it looked like it might rain (also allowed me extra time to slack off and stay in bed a bit longer).
Finally got my lazy ass up and started getting my gear together. Looked everywhere for my favorite running shirt but could not locate it. Finally found it in the laundry (ran in it a couple days previous), thought about wearing it and tried it on but the smell almost killed me...on to plan B.
Wasted so much time looking for my shirt that it was getting late, pulled on another shirt that did not match my leggings at all, figured that people would think it was my Halloween costume for the run.
Event warmup:

Quick visit to the toilet, a few stretches and some warmup sprints and it was time to get to the starting line.
Run
  • 42m 20s
  • 9.5 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Started almost near the back of the line up for the start of the race. Clock showed 2+ minutes already elapsed when I passed the start line. Had a lot of trouble for the first one and a half kms as I was passing Superwoman, a few witches, someone dressed up as a fridge (yes, a fridge) and people running with strollers. Course is a bit narrow so I was weaving and dodging all of the slower runners in costume trying to get by.
Things opened up after that and I settled into a reasonable pace and just took in the view. Got to the first water station and just about crashed into a guy that stopped for a drink right in front of me. Took a small sip, adjusted my earphones and kept going.
Wanted to keep an even pace throughout this race so I tried to pick it up when I felt myself slowing down. Passed lots of people since I started with a slower group. Got passed near the 3/4 mark by 4-5 people as I was having trouble keeping my pace. Got my second wind at about 8km and picked it up a notch to pass a few more people. At about the 9km mark I decided to go into Simon Whitfield mode and see if I could sprint past the 3 or 4 runners in front of me. Did good and passed all but one guy with about 50 m left. I should have waited a little longer to attack but I felt I was running out of time. I got right beside him before he noticed me and we ran neck to neck for a few meters. Garmin says we were both running at a whopping 2:25 min/km pace...we were flying! Heard the announcer telling everyone to look at these two runners battling it out to the finish. I was too tired from reeling in the other runners and my challenge was over. My sprint mate forged ahead to beat me by 1 second, awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Still learning how to pace my runs, especially for the first couple of kms.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit to catch my breath from that finishing sprint.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, pacing, lazyness, age!

Event comments:

This is a great, well run race that keeps me coming back each year.

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:20 | 9.5 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 19/64
Overall: 164/947
Performance: Good
Single loop around the Stanley Park Seawall, flat course with great views.
Course: Love this course, nice and flat with great scenery. It's the Stanley Park Seawall people, can't beat that for a racecourse!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes