General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell What I Am Doing Wrong - Can't Run Past 12 Miles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-25 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Subject: Tell What I Am Doing Wrong - Can't Run Past 12 Miles
So, I have been running for about a year and a half now and really started picking up my mileage over the past 8 weeks or so since starting a Higdon marathon plan for a marathon on Dec. 12th.  I have followed the plan to the letter since mid-August except for the third week in August while on vacation.  Since then, I haven't missed a single run and have faithfully followed the instructions for each and every run.  Now that I am getting into the second half of the program, the Saturday morning long runs are getting up to 2:45 to 3:00 hours and I am getting cramped up in my calves right around 2 to 2 hours 10 minutes.  This has happened to me about four times over the past four weeks.  They start with very quick, momentary spasms and within just a minute or two my calves will start completely locking up.  They are debillitating and if I do not stop running immediately, very soon I can't even walk.

My first thoughts were it was a hydration or nutrition issue.  But, after taking three Endurolytes, drinking about 10 oz. of Infinit prior, taking two flasks of Infinit (heavy on the electrolytes) with me in my fuel belt a few weeks back, and STILL cramping up, I figured that wasn't it.  Yesterday, since it was raining here, I decided to really test the hydration theory while on my treadmill.  Consumed a ton of liquid electrolytes and still....cramps right at just over 2 hours.  Daremo would be proud, I think I may be living proof of the 'inadequate fitness' hypothesis of cramping.  However, I should be able to do this at this point in the Higdon program.

Other background info:  I am 52 and just started doing triathlons in 2008.  I had no endurance background in anything before last year.  I also have had calf cramps in most of the triathlons I have participated in.  Frequently, they have completely ruined my whole event, sometimes occuring during the swim, sometimes on the bike, and almost always during the run.

Logs are open to view.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greg 

2009-10-25 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2478850

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Tell What I Am Doing Wrong - Can't Run Past 12 Miles
Electrolytes are one component, but do they have the potassium, sodium, et all levels that YOUR body needs? Some need more than others. What are you eating before your runs? Getting enough protein?
2009-10-25 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I wonder if you simply need to focus on strengthening your calves? Doing calf raises etc. to build some strength?
2009-10-25 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
I agree, could need more strenght training on calves.
2009-10-25 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

Premature muscle fatigue?  I saww in your log you suspect it that maybe you're running too fast for the distance. 

Other things you might try are hill training (not sure if you're already doing this) and light preventative stretching of the calf muscle.
2009-10-25 9:47 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Endurolytes are not a great source of potassium (25 mg each) and my quick view of infinit only per 2 scoops shows 123mg.  In comparison a banana has 400-500 mg.  I would try eating 1-2 banana's before or during.  I do get cramps swimming and at the beginning of runs during bricks.  Eating banana's has helped me with my leg cramps a lot.  I used to get leg cramps in the middle of the night but they are a thing of the past now.

May not solve your problem but it is worth a try.  Also, not a bad thing to eat a banana or two.  Orange Juice also has a lot of potassium.   Once again a cup or two of OJ won't hurt you either ;>

2009-10-25 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2478873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
wwlani - 2009-10-25 10:31 PM Electrolytes are one component, but do they have the potassium, sodium, et all levels that YOUR body needs? Some need more than others. What are you eating before your runs? Getting enough protein?

wwlani, in the process of trying to address the electrolyte possibility, I went through the 25 or 30 questions on the Infinit site to home in on a good mix for me based on my answers.  I ended up with a mix that included a pretty reasonable amount of electrolytes including magnesium, calcium, potassium, and sodium.  The first mix didn't seem to have much impact, so I moved the electrolyte slider over two or three more clicks and ordered some more.  Same results.  I also added some protein to the second mix.  As far as nourishment before I run, usually, I drink some Infinit and an Ensure with 13 grams of protein.  I usually run early in the morning.

Greg
2009-10-25 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2478877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
blairrob - 2009-10-25 10:34 PM I wonder if you simply need to focus on strengthening your calves? Doing calf raises etc. to build some strength?

That's something I haven't thought of.  Thanks to both of you guys for the suggestion.

Greg
2009-10-25 9:49 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Calf pain is often a sign of worn out shoes, how many miles do yours have on them? 
2009-10-25 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2478897

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
GaryRM - 2009-10-25 10:47 PM Endurolytes are not a great source of potassium (25 mg each) and my quick view of infinit only per 2 scoops shows 123mg.  In comparison a banana has 400-500 mg.  I would try eating 1-2 banana's before or during.  I do get cramps swimming and at the beginning of runs during bricks.  Eating banana's has helped me with my leg cramps a lot.  I used to get leg cramps in the middle of the night but they are a thing of the past now.

May not solve your problem but it is worth a try.  Also, not a bad thing to eat a banana or two.  Orange Juice also has a lot of potassium.   Once again a cup or two of OJ won't hurt you either ;>

Yea, the good thing is, I like all of those things.  Regardless, I decided to try the potassium route and found out that those dried apricots you see in the produce section of the grocery store are loaded with potassium, even more than bananas.  I have been eating those a good bit as a snack, but not usually right before I run.  Regarding the Infinit, you're right about the potassium and that was one of the reasons I moved the slider for electrolytes over to the right, to raise the amount.

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to eat a handful of the apricots just before I run, but I have noticed that if I really load up on potassium, it does kind of strange things to my heart beat.  So, I have to be careful with that.

Thanks,
Greg
2009-10-25 9:56 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Greg...you should re-check your weight change calculations in your last log entry...it appears you adjusted to include the 20 oz. of fluid consumed "after the workout" which has no bearing on the weight you lost during the workout (unless you weighed yourself after you consumed that 20 oz., of course).  If this is the case, your actual weight loss during the workout was 20 oz. less than you calculated.  With that adjustment, I'd say you're not losing an excessive amount to sweating.

You might be right on the edge, though, so maybe it is a pace issue more than an electrolytes issue.  Haven't looked deeper into your logs to see if you're running these long workouts at the same pace.

in reply to: #2478901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
COSkiGirl - 2009-10-25 10:49 PM Calf pain is often a sign of worn out shoes, how many miles do yours have on them? 

I thought that could be a problem, so I started tracking the mileage in the BT equipment tracker and I have been replacing my shoes every 300 miles.  I am using a pair right now that are only about a month old and 80-90 miles.

Greg

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
trinewby - 2009-10-25 8:17 PM
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greg 

Cramps are usually just caused by you pushing past your fitness level in duration, intensity, or both. Looking at your mileage you've ramped up very quickly with 95/month in the last two months and only 383 for the first eight months of 2008. Ramping up that fast is risky and I'm not surprised you're having some issues.

In terms of just running in general, my experience is that my body shuts down pretty quickly once I've gone past a certain point. You see it all the time where someone will run a bunch of miles at a good pace feeling fine, and then just blow up without much warning.

I actually had a similar problem a few months back where any workout I went past 11 miles I had calve soreness that would take a few days to resolve. I could run 10 fine but I just couldn't do 11-13 without some soreness issues. My solution was to just do a bunch of ten milers and every now and then try 13 and see how it went. Eventually, I was able to do the 13 and not require extra recovery.
2009-10-25 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
By the way, I am not convinced that hydration and electrolyte levels necessarily play a significant role in muscle cramping. 

I know that is a popular explanation for cramping, but it might not be true.  There have been some studies to suggest otherwise.  You can find an interesting summary here.

2009-10-25 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2478907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
tcovert - 2009-10-25 10:56 PM Greg...you should re-check your weight change calculations in your last log entry...it appears you adjusted to include the 20 oz. of fluid consumed "after the workout" which has no bearing on the weight you lost during the workout (unless you weighed yourself after you consumed that 20 oz., of course).  If this is the case, your actual weight loss during the workout was 20 oz. less than you calculated.  With that adjustment, I'd say you're not losing an excessive amount to sweating.

You might be right on the edge, though, so maybe it is a pace issue more than an electrolytes issue.  Haven't looked deeper into your logs to see if you're running these long workouts at the same pace.

Should have been more clear about that.  I consumed the 20 oz. after the workout and before I weighed myself.   Gotta' subtract it.  Even with that adjustment, it doesn't seem like an excessive weight change for two hours of running, but what do I know?

Pacing could be a factor.  On all of the runs where I experienced cramping and had to walk for some portion, I included the time spent walking in the calculations for the pace I logged.  In general, I run at about a 9:30 to 9:45 pace for the first hour and about 9:45 to 10 pace for the second.  Unfortunately, I feel like I am hardly moving and am not comfortable with my gait slower than about a 10' pace.

Greg
2009-10-25 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2478915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Gritty - 2009-10-25 11:01 PM By the way, I am not convinced that hydration and electrolyte levels necessarily play a significant role in muscle cramping. 

I know that is a popular explanation for cramping, but it might not be true.  There have been some studies to suggest otherwise.  You can find an interesting summary here.

Yea, I am not convinced electrolytes play a role either any more.  I have been down that road and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.  The study makes for interesting reading, but I would REALLY like to read Part III.  I couldn't find a link for it on the web page.  Do you know if they ever published it?

Thanks,
Greg

2009-10-25 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2478909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
breckview - 2009-10-25 10:56 PM
trinewby - 2009-10-25 8:17 PM Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greg 
Cramps are usually just caused by you pushing past your fitness level in duration, intensity, or both. Looking at your mileage you've ramped up very quickly with 95/month in the last two months and only 383 for the first eight months of 2008. Ramping up that fast is risky and I'm not surprised you're having some issues. In terms of just running in general, my experience is that my body shuts down pretty quickly once I've gone past a certain point. You see it all the time where someone will run a bunch of miles at a good pace feeling fine, and then just blow up without much warning. I actually had a similar problem a few months back where any workout I went past 11 miles I had calve soreness that would take a few days to resolve. I could run 10 fine but I just couldn't do 11-13 without some soreness issues. My solution was to just do a bunch of ten milers and every now and then try 13 and see how it went. Eventually, I was able to do the 13 and not require extra recovery.

Thanks for the input, breckview.  I knew I would be stretching it to jump into the intermediate program, but I did meet the guidelines for starting that program, barely.  My fall back in case I felt like it was too much was to drop back to the beginner program.  I may end up doing that, but the only problem I am having is this one cramping issue.  I don't have a problem from a cardio vascular standpoint and my legs don't necessarily feel overwhelmingly fatigued when the cramps come.  Sure, I am feeling tired, but not dead, if you know what I mean.

By default, I am more or less doing what you did.  Running shorter distances until I can go longer.  I just feel like I should be at a point where I can add a mile or two to my long runs each week.  Maybe my calves disagree...

I think part of me doesn't want to give up on the marathon in six weeks, but there is no way I am going to try it if I can't run past 12-13 miles.

Greg
2009-10-25 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2478890

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Gritty - 2009-10-25 10:45 PM
Premature muscle fatigue?  I saww in your log you suspect it that maybe you're running too fast for the distance. 

Other things you might try are hill training (not sure if you're already doing this) and light preventative stretching of the calf muscle.

Gritty,
I have too many hills around here, I am getting plenty of hill training.  They aren't that long and most aren't too steep, but I definitely get enough hill work.  Running too fast for these long runs could be the problem.  I do have a hard time slowing down from a 9:30 pace 'cause there isn't much room to slow down from there unless I just go ahead and walk!  I don't stretch at all before I run, but I do a moderate amount afterward.  I used to stretch before, but I quite after reading a number of articles about that.

Greg
2009-10-25 10:41 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I used to have a bad problem with cramping. I started taking a calcium magnesium supplement and the problem went away. After a couple years I couldn't find that supplement anymore, so I switched to calcium, magnesium, zinc and it works just as well. I think the problem went away within a week or two after I started, but it was 6-7 years ago so I don't recall all the details.

Just something else to consider along with some of the other suggestions.
2009-10-25 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2478960

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Donskiman - 2009-10-25 11:41 PM I used to have a bad problem with cramping. I started taking a calcium magnesium supplement and the problem went away. After a couple years I couldn't find that supplement anymore, so I switched to calcium, magnesium, zinc and it works just as well. I think the problem went away within a week or two after I started, but it was 6-7 years ago so I don't recall all the details.

Thanks, Don.  I haven't looked into calcium before.  I drink a large glass of milk every night with dinner, but I don't drink any before I run.

Greg
2009-10-25 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2478932

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
trinewby - 2009-10-25 10:11 PM
Yea, I am not convinced electrolytes play a role either any more.  I have been down that road and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.  The study makes for interesting reading, but I would REALLY like to read Part III.  I couldn't find a link for it on the web page.  Do you know if they ever published it?

Thanks,
Greg

Here you go.  Scroll down to the series on Muscle cramps. There's 5 parts to it.

As for stretching, its true that stretching before exercise can cause problems, especially if done indiscriminantly and too heavily.  Lightly stretch your calves after a good warm up but before the main set.  Also, lightly stretching a cramp during running can be effective.  The emphasis is on light stretching and specific to the cramp. 

Good luck.  I know what its like to be laid up for awhile.  The only other thing I suggest is a good PT.  They can help isolate imbalances that might be pre-disposing you to the cramps and could provide good exercises for the problem.

2009-10-25 10:57 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
When you do your calf strengthening routine, don't just do the standard weighted calf raises. You need to focus on eccentric contractions (i.e. bearing weight as your heel is coming down, not going up, and exercises that mimic the load your calves bear while running.

The two that have worked the best for me are:
eccentric calf raises: Stand with both toes on a step with one hand on the railing for balance. Push up with both toes, lower yourself with only one. Up with both, down with one. Do three sets of ten with both legs.

Hopping drills: find or make a triangular pattern on the floor, with each point of hte triangle about 18" apart. Hop forward, back, and sideways in a random pattern for ten hops. Do the other side for ten, then the other. Do three sets of ten hops per leg.

Find a small step--about 6-8" high. Hop up onto the step and then immediately back down onto the same foot. Concentrate on trying not to let your heel touch the ground, so you're absorbing all the weight with your calf. It helps to have a railing for balance, but be sure you aren't using it for support or to boost yourself up.

Good luck! Calf injuries suck.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2009-10-25 11:00 PM
2009-10-25 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2478969

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
trinewby - 2009-10-25 9:52 PM
Donskiman - 2009-10-25 11:41 PM I used to have a bad problem with cramping. I started taking a calcium magnesium supplement and the problem went away. After a couple years I couldn't find that supplement anymore, so I switched to calcium, magnesium, zinc and it works just as well. I think the problem went away within a week or two after I started, but it was 6-7 years ago so I don't recall all the details.

Thanks, Don.  I haven't looked into calcium before.  I drink a large glass of milk every night with dinner, but I don't drink any before I run.

Greg

Not just calcium. The supplement is calcium and magnesium, or calcium, magnesium and zinc.
2009-10-26 12:24 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

hi greg-
I am currently also training for a marathon at the beginning of December and my coach has me change up the pace a little bit during long runs.  I have a tendency for my calves to tighten up (they don't cramp) but for me it can lead to heel pain and ankle weakness.  I use the foam roller after every run (even short ones), and the marathon stick, too.

Like today we did my 14 miler: 10 min Z1, 30 Z2, 10 Z3, 30 Z2, and so on.  I've looked at the Higdon plan (which we are following a little bit) and it doesn't really give much more instruction than mileage for the long run.  It might be something to try on your next long run.  I imagine tightness could lead to cramps.  Not really sure if your calf cramps are a tightness issue or not, though. Just a little suggestion to add to all of the above great suggestions.  Good luck to you!

2009-10-26 1:06 AM

Master
I strongly agree with the opinion above that cramping actually has little to do with nutrition for the vast majority of racing (including marathon distance runs) and MUCH more with training and prolonged exertion past your physical capability at that moment.

You will cramp regardless of the most optimal fueling and hydration if you go longer than your body's ability. It happens to thousands of marathoners in every race, who often show up with the full supply of GUs, salt tabs, hydration packs, etc. when they push themselves to the 26.2 distance.

My suspicion is that you simply need more time to acclimate to the mileage. An 8 week rampup for a beginner distance runner is not long at all. Even though the plan you are following works for many people, this result is a sign from your body that you need to ramp up more slowly and over a longer period of time. 

On the bright side, I can guarantee to you that if you're running 8 miles no problem, you will likely be running 12 mile distances within another few weeks no problem if you maintain a similar or slightly decreased training load. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell What I Am Doing Wrong - Can't Run Past 12 Miles Rss Feed  

of 2