UW Running Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 36s
Overall Rank = 32/262
Age Group = M0-29
Age Group Rank = 12/
Pre-race routine:

I was going to do a cyclocross race on this day, but the night before I found out that it was canceled due to recent rain. So at 1:00 am I decided to do this race. I didn't do any sort of carbo loading, or hydrating, or tapering, or even proper sleeping. I woke up at 6:45 am, drank a couple glasses of water and left. I felt super horrible waking up that early. I normally work until 4:00 am these days.
Event warmup:

I ran about a mile and a half to loosen up. My legs felt like garbage for the first half of my warmup. It's this whole running in the morning thing. I did some stretching too.
Run
  • 1h 01m 36s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not train for this distance at all. In the past couple months I have been running maybe two 10K sessions per week, so my goal was to use this as a training run of sorts. I wanted to do 7:00 miles, which is very conservative. Unfortunately I did the first mile in 6:05. I don't know what I was thinking. I got on the back end of the front group when the field split in the first mile, so I didn't want to slow down and get dropped. After a few miles I had no choice though. We started hitting some hills, and for some reason I suck at them. Every time I'd start climbing one or two or three people would dash by me like I was standing still. My legs were toasted about halfway through the race too, because I forgot to train them.

My pace progressively dropped throughout the race, until about the 8 mile mark. At that point I caught a bit of a second wind. Actually, there was a group 200 meters behind me, and I didn't want them to catch me. This part of the course was flat, so I turned on the jets. I caught 3 people who had passed me, and then I was going after a 4th guy with about 200 yards to go. He heard me coming and sped up a lot, and so I had to bust out a sprint on him. We were neck and neck the whole way, but then I managed to beat him by a foot or so. Photo finishes are fun.

Splits:
Mile 1: 6:05
Mile 2: 6:22
Mile 3 + 0.1: 7:13 (19:41 5K)
Mile 4 - 0.1: 5:34
Mile 5: 6:48
Mile 6: 7:01 (finally hit my goal pace!)
Mile 7: 7:02 (40:35 10K)
Mile 8: 7:10
Mile 9: 6:27
Last 0.3: 1:49
What would you do differently?:

Start slower. I have a big running ego I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

I sorta started to jog and then decided against it, because there was food in my sights. I did get a little ART on my hammies though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a case of just not having enough leg strength for a 15K, so I need to train more. But dang, I have another 15K next weekend...

Event comments:

This course is challenging because it is hilly and there are few aid stations. The race is the best deal in town though. $13-$17 registration, a free runner's headband (because I have 1000 too many race t-shirts, thank you), and enough sponsors that you're basically guaranteed a door prize. Oh, and the location at Warner park means that parking spots and restrooms are abundant. You can show up 15 minutes before the race without any worries.

Last updated: 2009-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:01:36 | 9.32 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/
Overall: 12/262
Performance: Average
Course: Challenging course on roads and bike paths with plenty of hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?