Mississippi Track Club
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 47s
Overall Rank = 105/249
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get up quite as early as I wanted, but early enough to eat some oatmeal and drink a bit of coffee. Took my Race Caps and Tissue Rejuvenator. Should've made up a recovery drink. Oh well. Race was close to home...about 20 minutes...got there in plenty of time to get race packet and number pinned on. It was cold!
Event warmup:

Bit of a slow jog to test the foot. Bathroom break. A little more slow jogging. The foot felt fine.
Run
  • 1h 22m 47s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I had targeted this race as a test of my new approach to HR running, but was afraid that I wouldn't be able to follow through because of my foot. I'm 99% sure it's plantar fasciitis, but it's not getting progressively worse and doesn't hurt in the mornings. All other signs, though, point to PF. Anyway, I had thought it might have taken a turn for the worse when my regular Monday and Tuesday runs started with quite a bit of pain and then my Wednesday brick was really uncomfortable. I ended up resting my foot Thursday and Friday, and went into the race on Saturday with a bit of trepidation. Warmed up. It felt okay. No pain. Very slight discomfort. Race started. No pain and no discomfort. The test was a go.

It was pretty cold in the morning, so I opted for capris and a long-sleeved shirt with gloves and a running hat. Shed the gloves a couple of miles in. I probably would have been fine in shorts, too.

I thought it would take a mile or two to settle into my zone 3 HR, but found myself there pretty quickly. I think it had to do with one of the marathon training team coaches coming alongside and sticking with me to help pace me to my goal time. I had run this race 3 years earlier in a 1:29:55, and ran my best time at this distance in 2003 in 1:26ish. The McMillan Calculator said I should be able to run this in 1:25 and change. So, I made that my time goal, but did not focus on time or pace while running. Instead, I kept an eye on my HR. I think I allow myself to ease up too much...not just in races, but also in my workouts. I've definitely improved while training by HR, but I don't think I take advantage of that fitness. So, I figure for most medium to short distance races I should be running in zone 3, at least.

It worked perfectly. I was running hard for me, but it was totally manageable. (See? Just gotta' have some faith.) And the whole run just felt great. I enjoyed the neighborhoods. I enjoyed my pacer (I thought I would hate it, but she was great). I think it was right around mile 7 that I started to feel pretty tired. But I told myself that there was less than 2.5 miles to go, and I needed to dig deep and keep pushing along at the same pace. Then, we came back onto the dam for the last mile. It was cold. It was windy. And the clubhouse looked so much closer than it actually was. That mile was tough, and I am fairly certain I slowed, as hard as I tried not to.

But to come across the line well under my 1:25 goal really made my day. And had I been younger (40-44 or 25-29) I would have gotten 3rd in my age group. As it is, I run with some smokin' fast women.

Just means there's more work to do.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to let the last mile get to me. Otherwise, I think I executed this race perfectly.
Post race
Warm down:

It was too cold to warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothiing. Weather was good. I am right on target for my training. And I've now got my fingers crossed for a sub 2-hour half mary in December.

Last updated: 2009-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:47 | 9.32 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 105/249
Performance: Good
Goal was to keep HR solidly in zone 3. Perfect execution. Averaged 161 with a 171 max.
Course: Starts on dam over lake, heads through one end of the neighborhood, loops around, heads across to the other side of the dam, loops through the other side of the neighborhood, comes back across the dam and ends in the clubhouse parking lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-26 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: Lake Caroline 15k Run/Walk

2009-10-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2479546

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Lake Caroline 15k Run/Walk
Great job on the race!  PF can be such a pain!
2009-10-27 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2482039

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Lake Caroline 15k Run/Walk

Artemis - 2009-10-27 12:56 PM Great job on the race!  PF can be such a pain!

Ah yes. Both literally and figuratively.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Caroline 15k Run/Walk Rss Feed