United States
The Red Rock Company
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m
Overall Rank = 546/615
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 111/122
Pre-race routine:

Picked my package and checked in the bike on Saturday - a day before the race. Then, went for a short swim in the lake to get a feel for the water. No wetsuit as I wanted to keep it dry for race day morning.
Event warmup:

Nothing much other than a 20-25 minutes walk from my hotel to transition.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Waves were starting 4 minutes apart and that allows each wave enough time to get in the water and swim to the starting point. I started at the very end of the pack. The horn went off the swim started off in a big splash. I focused on getting into my rhythm, I was checking every 10-15 strokes that I was still on course. My plan was to pace a bit slower than my usual pace on the way out, and increase my pace on the way back. So, I did. So, at the turning point, I started swimming faster than before. Along the way, I was over-run by the wave that started 4 minutes after mine, and even by the young female wave that started 8 minutes after mine. There were definitely fast swimmers out there. At the same time, I was passing people too (for the first time ever) on my swim and that helped me keep on going towards a strong finish. Once reached the stairs to climb out of the water, I knew that the part which I was most concerned about was over, and now it was time to focus on the next leg. I actually finished my swim in 43:14 minutes but I went into transition only after the wetsuit strippers helped me get mine off - which was a struggle...
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I swam per my normal pace. I finished strong and better than what I was thinking initially.
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

I was a bit dizzy after the swim. I sat on my mat, I dried my arms and feet. I put my helmet and sun glasses first, then put on socks and cycling shoes. Put extra layers of sun block, drank some gatorade I had prepared in advance and ran out of transition with the bike.

Possibly get different shoes as it took me forever to put mine on. Also, for whatever reason, it took me forever to put my socks on - despite the fact that I used a dry towel to dry them.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

The dry weather helped to quickly get dry and a bit of overcast was helping in hiding the morning sun. My plan was to take "study" the course on the first lap, go hard on the second one and relax it a bit towards the end of the 3rd lap in preparation for the run. I have all my nutrition ready and I monitored the time on my bike computer in order to know when to take what. I followed both plans. I used only one water bottle from the one on the aid stations as I have everything else I needed with me.
I lost about 5 minutes on the first loop due to a bad call on my part on changing gears while on a uphill. I tried to change from the front large cog to the smaller one and the chain fell off while I was barely moving up the hill. I immediately dismounted both feet and stopped the bike. I managed within a few minutes to put it back on and then ran with it to the top of this little hill so I can get back on it. I then knew what to do for the next two laps.
Another thing I was careful about was drafting. USAT officials on motorcycles where constantly around looking for riders who were drafting. I was very careful about it all the time.
Friends were cheering for me on the course and it felt great to hear my name being yelled out there.
Loop 1 and 2 went really well. I felt good and I knew that the second part of the race was coming to an end. During loop 3, a sudden pain in my right lower back, shooting pain to my right knee and feet. I slowed down and assessed the pain level. It was light to moderate - so as part of my plan to take it a bit easy on loop 3 I slowed down a bit and finished with some pain. USAT officials were standing by transition to find rides who did not dismount in the designated area giving penalties to the ones who accidentally (or not) crossed the line while on the bike. I ran into transition - thinking "oh yeah! only 1/2 marathon to go and I am done!"

Ride more as get stronger on the bike, better practice taking salt pills while on the bike, learn to use my left cage bottle holder, better utilize the aero-bars - by spending more time in the aero-position.
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

I ran into transition, and had to go all the way across to the other side for spot. I racked the bike, I took off my helmet and put my running hat on. I then took my cycling shoes off and put on my running shoes - that, of course - did not cooperate that well. I usually untie my laces and just shove my feet into the shoes with the laces already tied. But, not this time around. So, I had to untie my shoe laces first, get my feet into the shoes and then tie them back again. It took some extra time - but was not too bad. I drank some water and gatorade, put on my running belt and off I went.

Take care of the shoe laces up front and not during race time.
Run
  • 2h 44m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

It was already hot when the run started, with some dry wind blowing. The run started ok, I noticed some pain in my lower back/leg/foot which I could tolerate. My goal was to run and walk the aid stations. By the time I reached the first aid station, I was fairly tired but still running. I took drinks and ice and kept on running. Mile 1 came by and I was thinking that if pain levels stay the same I could beat my expectations and that was a great moral boost as this stage of the race. But then, at mile 3 things started going downhill. A sharp pain from the hip to the knee on my right foot was a signal for me to stop running and start walking. I did not like the idea - but also wanted to finish the race on my own... So, I adopted a strategy of: "Run till it hurts and walk till the pain goes away" and so I did. Obviously this slowed me down quite a bit - but I knew that it will bring me to the finish line. I drank a lot, used carbo pro in my bottle and felt that I could do it. At one point, there was a big guy on a wheelchair trying to overcome a steep dirt hill on the course which we all had to go over. He was unable to do it on his own. I saw him trying a couple of time and getting unhappy about it. A runner behind him tried to help but was unable to get him over to the top of it. I saw it happening as I was running towards them, so I ran down the pile and told him to hold tight and pushed him to the top. I made sure he was ok. He barely spoke, he seemed to be exhausted. I tapped him on the back and said "Good luck, sir.", he said "Thanks man!" and we kept on going.
As I passed more and more miles, I got slower and slower. I knew that it not my best run, but at the same time I knew that it is one of my most important runs - so I have to keep on moving. Then, mile 12 arrived and I got some inner, hidden energy that pushed me to run to the finish line. I was able to ignore the pain, the heat and the negative thoughts and just run - knowing that within minutes - I am about to accomplish one of my biggest accomplishments ever - finishing a Half Ironman race!

Be better prepared - by running more and by training more on bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, got my medal and a ice cold water bottle - which I drank in no time. I felt that all I want to do was to sit down in the shade. I then, went towards the shade - where all my San Diego friends were sitting down and relaxing - after their race. I than saw Tanya who congratulated me, gave me a big hug and took a picture of me. I rested for a bit and went to grab some food. While standing in line, I started to feel bad. I felt that I want to throw up and sit down, so I left the food line and went to the shade. My friends suggested that I go the medical tent but I refused. I then, went to the transition area to start pack my stuff, but then, a medic go-cart stopped next to me the the guys asked me how I felt. I said that I am fine, and they were about to leave - but, then my worrying friends came by and said - yes this is the guy we told you about. So, they made me sit down on the go-cart to take my vitals and check that I was all right. And so they did, twice. Then the medic asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital for more checks and I said no thanks. He had me sign some papers and let me go. I packed everything took the bike and went to sit in the shade. At 3:00pm a friend from San Diego joined me and we drove home...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did not run and bike enough before the race. It showed up clearly in my ability on the course.

Event comments:

Overall, a great race, well organized, well equipped and supplied aid stations. Course was fairly easy to follow despite all the turns and u-turns. Lots and lots of volunteers that did a great job!
As I've been told before, I totally agree that it is a HIM beginner-friendly course, lake swim, and fairly flat bike and runs. Highly recommended!

Last updated: 2009-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/122
Overall: 481/615
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was in a calm lake. Buoys and kayaks guided us along the course, which was rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:06:27 | 56 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Overall: 549/615
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat for the most. Lots of turns and u-turns. 3 loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:44:45 | 13.1 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 546/615
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was fairly flat, 2 loops going around the lake. Nice view bit absolutely no shade at all.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-26 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: Soma Half Iron Triathlon

2009-10-26 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2480011

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Soma Half Iron Triathlon

Great job Ronen! You've come so far. You've really worked on all aspects of your training but especially your swimming. What a great accomplishment for you! I look forward to seeing what you'll do next, I know it will be great. Congratulations!

2009-10-26 2:36 PM

User image

Ronen, it has been a privelege to watch you over the past two years.  You have come a far, far way!  You had a great first 1.2 mile swim, + 18 mph on the bike -- which is really a tremendous feat for your FIRST HIM -- and the Run ... well, everyone's first HIM half marathon is ugly!!  I think the HIM run and the misery you endure during your first HIM is all part of the initiation process.

And going back to the swim again, all those consistent hours in the pool paid off in spades.  If you didn't have the 'swim fitness' you have, there is now way you are going + 18 mph on the bike.  That is tremendous!  And way to HTFU, dig down, and push that brother in arms up the hill.  Big KARMA points there! 

WELCOME THE THE HALF IRONMAN CLUB RONEN!! 

2009-10-26 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
WOW!!! Fantastic race, Ronen. Major congratulations. You had a fantastic swim and bike, and good for you leaving everything out on the run course (plus helping the dude in the wheelchair). It's been really amazing watching you progress this year. Now I hope you can enjoy a little R&R.
2009-10-26 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ

Great job out there yesterday!!

2009-10-26 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Awesome job! What a great accomplishment! Rejoice and enjoy it! Well done! Congrats!

2009-10-27 11:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Ronen, you should be very proud of your accomplishment.  I was smiling at times while reading your race report.  I have been in your shoes and felt your pain.  As DC mentioned, everyone has to take that first 70.3 death march to get  a better feel for what this type of race is all about.  So now you know what to expect.  Way to suck it up on the run and get it done.  I think if you were to ask any athlete at any level, they would tell you that at some point it gets tough, really tough, and you have a find a way in which to get it done.  You did this.  Congratulations.  A couple of thoughts.  It is perfectly normal to feel a bit light headed when finishing the swim and starting to run to T1.  You are not the first to make a shifting mistake and drop a chain.  I did it my first race, and I must admit that I have done it since.  I did eventually learn that I did not have to get off the bike and put my chain back on by hand.  Hey, I have made all the mistakes that can be made.  You mention having a hard time getting your socks on because you feet were wet.  I always have that problem.  Then I read some where to roll up your socks.  You dry your feet and then literally roll your socks on.  It is much easier than trying to pull them on over somewhat wet feet.  You mentioned your shoestrings being an issue.  You should get some of the elastic ties.  Slide your foot in, yank the string and you are done.  Finally, the feeling you described while standing in the food line is exactly how I feel after most races.  There is nothing truly wrong.  Basically, you have all of the adrenaline pumping through your body for the entire race, and then you cross the finish line and stop.  I always feel a bit sick to my stomach.  15 to 30 minutes later I am fine.  I am generally not interested in food during this period either.  It is different for everyone I guess.  I finished one of my IM's, and I watched the guy in front of me walk over and grab two slices of pizza.  He was devouring them.  My stomach hurt just watching him.  I am willing to bet that after a stretch of time you felt fine.

Great job getting it done.  I also can relate to your comments about it not feeling like you really did it.  Well, you did my friend.  You did it!

2009-10-27 12:47 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Awesome job Ronen!  You must be so pleased about the swim in particular!

All of your hard work in the pool is paying off - you passed people!  woo hoo!!!

Congratulations on a great race!

2009-10-27 2:20 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Nice job Ronen!  All those early mornings in the pool paid off.  Loved reading your RR.  Enjoy a little rest and congrats on such a great accomplishment!
2009-10-27 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Great job on toughing through your first half ironman! Sorry you had a painful run - sounds like you HTFU'd your way through it. W00t!
2009-10-28 3:48 AM

User image

Melon Presser
You put in so much hard work and training for this, and it really paid off especially in the swim. However, it paid off in other ways too ... when the going got tough and you got the nasty pain, you just KEPT ON GOING, smart, so you could finish.

An awesome race, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are no longer a half iron virgin!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed