Wellington Runners Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 16s
Overall Rank = 54/206
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:30am and ate banana & clif bar. Drank some gatorade and took gel. Drove to site and got there around 6:30am. Still dark and went to get package and walk back to my car. Race started @ 7:15am.
Event warmup:

Did light warm-up of maybe 1/2 mile. Met a few friends at the start and talked for 5 minutes before race. Decided to wear fuel belt with 2 10oz bottles... Didn't see anyone else wearing one, but I train with it so why not.
Run
  • 1h 19m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I had doen a long ride day before, but legs felt good and decided this was last long(er) run before HIM in a few weeks and wouldn't hold a lot back. Even though there were only 200+ runners, the start was congested because we went ont a sidewalk after first 1/4 mile. Ran with a friend and we were keeping steady pace. I got nervous when I saw the 1 mile mark and we were at 8 minutes. I thought I would keep pace to 8:30 or around there. It felt good though so kept same pace. Kept thinking when the wall would hit and each mile the pace still felt pretty good. There were a few runners in front of us around the same pace and that helped. At around mile 6 my pacing partner decided to pick it up. He is much faster so I told him to have at it. Took a gel around mile 6 as well. I didn't slow down though and just kept pace. Passed a young guy around 12-13 years old. He was hurting around mile 7. I told him to run with me for a while and help me finish under 1:20:00. We didn't talk much, but it was good to run with someone, at this point folks were pretty spread out. He told me around mile 8 he was stopping and I could tell he was breathing heavy so I didn't talk him out of it. Last two miles were tough and getting a little warmer as we headed east into the sun. I was just shocked that I had kept pace and now I was determined to finish strong. With about a mile left the kid was behind me and then next to me. I smiled and told him great job. I saw the finish about .5 mile ahead and picked it up. Passed two people and then there was about 100 yards to finish. Guy I passed really kicked it in high gear and I let it go. Then the kid comes sprinting past and I had to try now. One of my water bottles ejected into the air and I wasn't going to slow down for it. Sure enough kid beat me and won his division:) Nice guy found me after and handed me my water bottle.

Really gave it all I had and I have never come close to running under 8 minute pace before for anything past 4-5 miles. It just all came together for me. Great confidence for HIM race coming up in a few weeks as run is definately my weak discipline.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not wear the fuel belt. Didn't slow me down, but lost a bottle running down the finsh area. Also, check the bib # with my name on it. They gave me wrong bib and chip which caused confusion later on. Nice guy from Accuchip fixed it later on though.
Post race
Warm down:

Friend went for cool down run and I wanted nothing to do with that. I sat there for about 15 minutes and regained my composure:) Wondered to awards area and grabbed a few oranges and granole bar and a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I biked 50 miles day before, but legs felt good whole time.

Event comments:

Fun race and I will be sure to do it again. Love the smaller races and this one had plenty of volunteers and water stations about every 1.5 miles.

Last updated: 2009-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:19:16 | 10 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 54/206
Performance: Good
Course: Nice course through residential areas in Wellington. Really no traffic on the roads although a lot of the run was on sidewalks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes