Falmouth Track CLub
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 48m 37s
Overall Rank = 603/791
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 116/133
Pre-race routine:

normal breakfast (cereal, milk, fruit, oj), pick up number, return to condo to change. kept positve thoughts. good prep, talc'd feet in socks, chose clothing wisely( tri shorts under regular running shorts-less chafe, tank top with arm warmers-idea worked), hankerchief, applied lube to chafe spots, primed fuel belt with 1/2 gatorade/1/2 water, stored gel, endurolytes, shot blocs, phone and lube jelly. made a few important phone calls.
Event warmup:

slow jog from fire station to start. legs felt well rested, felt really 'light' and 'on'. chatted with a few peeps at start line, fun group. seeded about in the middle
Run
  • 4h 48m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

made the decision to run on friday nite before the race-about 36 hrs before. Being the track club prez(FTC organizes the race)all the work was in the prep and not so much needed on race day so figured I'd see the 'orchestra' play.
Longest runs had been monthly 2 hr runs and long bikes so I knew I was under trained to say the least but figured I could eke it out. nothing spectacular, just see what I could do without getting injured. In that sense and more, I accomplished my goals and ran my plan.
I was able to keep a 9:15 ish pace thru 13.1.Kinda made a deal with the bod to get us to the 3 hour mark and then we'd have to fight it out together to finish. a tad slower for the next hour to 18.5 ish but still very satisfied with pacing and 'feel'. mentally and nutritionally all together--gu, etc at regular intervals as well as drink. no issues there.
At about 18-20 there begins a few good rollers and one long hill by the golf course, I was able to jog the uphill but the legs were faling apart. Chose to jog/walk the final 7 miles as the legs were just out of energy. no cramps or pain-just 'done'. watered up at the stops and enjoyed the views working to stay positive and keep going. chatted with a few other runners.
At mile 24 the hills end and the course flattens out to the sea shore. I came around the corner and low and behold my girl is standing there waving a sign! Joanne drove over 2 hrs to catch me at mile 24, very very cool. Unfortunately I was too wiped to be able to express how jazzed I was, sorry. The goddess handed me an ice cold coke and we walked a bit. She wouldnt let me drink the whole thing and pushed me along to get to the finish line.
The final couple miles along the shore brought out wonderous veiws of the vineyard and the sun on the ocean, noticed that above all the struggling walks and jogs to the finish.
The final 1/2 mile or so I convinced myself that I should at least jog or something like that to the finish, so I did. Crossed the finish with a jog and barely a smile as I was pretty much exhausted.
I'm ok with it all tho. as well as I expected. legs ok on following day.
What would you do differently?:

never suggest to someone to do a marathon on a whim!!

Training and a few long runs are important. Beyond that, I felt mentally prepped and nutrionally prepped.

I knew the course well and having done the race twice before I knew the trouble spots. Felt good that I was able to get in 3 hrs and 18 plus miles in good form and time. Knew the bear would be the final 10k.

I hadnt done a marathon since 2007 so the prime reason for jumping in was to see where I was at fitness wise. Thinking that this would give me some bearing on preppng for iron in 2010 or 2011.
Post race
Warm down:

flopped in the shade on the village green posing for semi nude after race pics! ;)

Needed a few minutes to recharge, drank the rest of the coke and enjoyed hanging with isis.

A bit slow moving around but no injuries and no real 'pain' just aches and muscles not wanting to move. no real tightness so to speak. Just wanted to get home, didnt feel hungry even. post race beer dident even taste good.

felt better by evening for post race party, no dancing though! Wore slippers to shin dig since the feet didnt like shoes at that point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the missing component of those 15, 18, 20, 22 mile runs. I felt a good endurance base was in the tank just not the level needed for 18 and above.

a more direct speed training plan for long distance.

Event comments:

Great race organization. lots and lots of enthusiastic volunteers, music along the course, relay station provided plenty of interval cheering sections, course was open to traffic and only 1 dicey road crossing beyond that really safe. couple big puddles from saturday's rain, had to navigate around them.

Last updated: 2009-10-26 12:00 AM
Running
04:48:37 | 26.2 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 116/133
Overall: 603/791
Performance:
Course: loop course around falmouth's best areas-seashore and woodlands...and it's hills. truly very scenic race course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-26 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: cape cod marathon

2009-10-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2480820

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: cape cod marathon
Wait!  You did a marathon?  You've never mentioned it!  Wow.  Good job!  You are still a runner, considered you were "under-strained". 
2009-10-27 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Nice job Glen! Beautiful course, beautiful day.
2009-10-27 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

awesome job Glen congrats

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » cape cod marathon Rss Feed