The Red Rock Company
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 4s
Overall Rank = 725/897
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 113/135
Pre-race routine:

Since check in and bike drop off was Saturday, things were pretty easy. Just had some coffee and a Powerbar and we were ready to head to Tempe.
Event warmup:

Since this race was a long training day and test run for IMAZ, my approach was a little too casual and my mental focus wasn't as high as normal. On Saturday, I racked my bike in the wrong spot (I racked in space 443 instead of 448) and realized it as I was on my way home. I had to turn around and go back to put it in the right place. When we arrived at transition on Sunday, I noticed that I had left my aerodrink straws in the car. Thankfully, Jenna went back to get them. The third thing was my rubber bands for my aerodrink. One had apparently fallen off in the car, so I only had one when I went to mount it. I searched my transition bag and saw my spare goggles. I removed the strap, tied it in a knot and fastened my aerobottle with it. It worked well. None of these things rattled me, and Jenna and I hung out with the other BTers until it was time to hit the water. I ran into Travis when I found my wave and we wished each other luck before jumping into the lake.
Swim
  • 48m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was initially cool, but I was wearing a neoprene hood (testing it out for IMAZ) and was comfortable. I settled immediately into a nice, smooth stroke. Jenna followed me along the shore, which added to my comfort level. I made the turn at 22 minutes, which would have been a great pace. I got a little off course on the back side and was in more crowded water, so I got jostled more. Thankfully, this was an annoyance and no longer a trauma (as it would have been in previous years) so I just kept going. I was slower on the back side and came out of the water in 49 minutes. Still a great swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

I might have tried to find less crowded water on the back side, but I'm not sure if it would have saved me any time.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers saved some good time here. My suit was off and the transition was smooth. I kind of had to use the restroom, but the port o potties were outside of transition and I didn't want to waste the time.

Nothing - good transition
Bike
  • 2h 45m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Since the bike course is mostly flat, it is easy to get sucked into pushing the pace. While I was keeping up with my nutrition (Infinit and water, with a Powerbar at the end of the second loop), I was going a little too fast. I felt comfortable, but I underestimated how it would affect my run. Still, I came off the bike in about 2:45, which was a good time savings over last year.

Pace, pace, pace. I need to reign it in at IMAZ or there will be a STEEP price to pay when I get into the run. Jenna told me that she might have to make signs for IMAZ that say: SLOW DOWN and REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO RUN LATER.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Another good transition. I stopped on the way out to use the restroom, but after holding it for the entire bike ride, I really needed to stop.

Nothing - it was smooth and I wasn't stalling
Run
  • 2h 45m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My first mile split was unexpectedly quick, at 9:38. I tried to back off a little after that. I was trying to implement my 9:1 run walk ratio that I plan to use at IMAZ, but the nine minute run segments felt too long. Overcooking the bike was catching up to me and it was time to pay. I finished the first loop at around 1:15, which was disappointing, but ahead of last year's pace. As I was starting into the second loop, Lisa caught up to me so we ran and walked together for about 3-4 miles. It was good to have the company, especially since it got me through the hardest part of the run course for me - the Northwest side of the lake on the second loop. I started to feel a little better at around mile 10 or 11 and was able to run more. My last mile and a half was the best I had run since mile 1, but the damage had been done. Overall, I was going to finish much better than last year, but the run split was going to be about the same. All told, I think I might have saved 10-15 minutes on the bike by pushing the pace, but it ultimately cost me about 20-25 on the run, as well as some additional suffering. It was a bad trade.

I'm not sure if there was anything additional I could have done on the run. The damage had already been done.
Post race
Warm down:

A quick drink of water, a banana, and it was tme to pack up. It had been a long day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pushing the bike too hard.

Event comments:

Overall, it was a great day. I knocked nearly a half hour off of last year's time, and met my goal of coming in under 6:30. I also learned a valuable lesson for next month. I really need to take the bike easy so my legs aren't dead by the time the run starts. I got everything out of this race that I wanted to: a half iron PR, a great training day, a practice run in Tempe, a lesson that should help me at IMAZ, and an opportunity to see friends. Can't ask for anything more than that.

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 124/135
Overall: 772/897
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out to the east, return to the west
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:45:43 | 56 miles | 20.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 75/135
Overall: 363/897
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:45:53 | 13.1 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 120/135
Overall: 788/897
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-27 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: Soma Half Iron Triathlon

2009-10-27 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2481735

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Soma Half Iron Triathlon
Awesome job Brian. Beating your previous year's time by almost a half hour is amazing! I agree with you on pacing.. I will really need to force myself to tone it down on the bike! Great job once again..

See you at IMAZ!

Edited by elliot85 2009-10-27 11:53 AM
2009-10-27 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job Brian! Sorry I didn't see you!
2009-10-27 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ

Awesome Job Brian!! Such great improvement from last year, you rocked it! Congrats on a great swim, all your training has paid off big time! You're going to do great at IMAZ!!!

2009-10-27 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
Tempe
Way to go Brian.  Nothing feels better than hitting your goals.  IMAZ will be no different!
2009-10-27 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome job. Wasnt it nice not to be stressed out before the race, LOL? I felt the same! And way to be creative with the goggle strap- love it!

Great bike split! It will be nice knowing that you are "holding back" next time out there and I know it's going to all come together for you at IMAZ!  

2009-10-27 5:18 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az

As the great PJ would say... Pee on the bike!!! pee on the bike!!!! you gotta love PJ.  Great job Bry, you did awesome.  I think signs will be a great idea for IMAZ...

2009-10-27 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Nice work Brian! It was great to see you before the swim start. Sounds like you had a pretty successful day- a 1/2 Iron PR and a few lessons learned for IMAZ, you're going to do great!!

2009-10-28 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Great job, Brian! You hit your goals and still learned a little about bike pacing for IMAZ. I know you will do great at IMAZ!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed