United States
49F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Goit there at 6:30 and did my volunteering part. Cut up a bunch of bananas, bagels and what not. Put water onto the tables and cut more bananas. Do you realize how many bananas are needed for 26,000 runners and walkers?
Event warmup:

Did a little running and skipping on one of the closed roads that was behind the event center.
Run
  • 34m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran this with my friend Jim and we decided that we were just going to go out and have fun and talk to folks along the way, especially survivors. So, we just ran at whatever pace the person we were chatting with was running. It was nice. Met some great folks. Many of the survivors were extremely motivating to Jim and I, as we are both survivors of our own illnesses. The intersections were controlled by a Harley club and these guys and girls were awesome. I hate it when people that ride and dresss in the traditional Harley fashion get a bad rap because of it and these folks represented their group as outstanding citizens. There were also about 6 groups of cheerleaders from different high schools out on the course. They had developed cheers that had to do with beating cancer. We started running by them and high fiving to get them motivated because you could tell that they were cold.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. The point of the day was to have fun and celebrate the survivors and remember the lost. Mission accomplished.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got a drink and a banana. Then we went downtown to the farmer's market and walked around and bought some coffee and wine (coffee for then, wine for later).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn;t there to race anyone.

Last updated: 2009-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:54 | 03.11 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course starts downhill. Of course, there were 26,000 people starting at the ssame time, so the course started walking downhill. By the time it got flat you could start to jog and then after about 1000 yards you could actually get settled into a pace. From there it was around downtown Des Moines. The finish is up a long hill (about 5% grade) for about 5 blocks or so. It's a nice little run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes