General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 12m 10s
Overall Rank = /2000
Age Group = Aquabike
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site early before the crowds (about 5:15), Crap-ola, my wave starts at 8:40. Dropped off the coolers for the team tailgating area and went to park. A couple of friends needed to drop off special needs bags so we found that and were off to the buses. A ton of buses and well organized. They counted us and only sent enough to fill the bus (almost fill it since they had plenty of buses). Got down to the swim start and T1, went into T-1 and set up the transition (bike was there, but I didn't leave anything else there overnight). Got everything set up and hung out. Some poor lady mis-racked her bike and couldn't find it, saw that they found it later on. Ran into Karen and hung with her a bit until she had to go stand in line.... They were closing up the dry-clothes bag drop before the first wave started, so here we go....had to take off my nice warm clothes...kept the thermal top, figuring the warmth for the next hour was worth sacrificing it. Put on the wetsuit, omg did I just do that. Did I say how tired I was? Ok, sweatpants do not stay on under the wetsuit (yes Tania, did a nice little wetsuit dance for you, you would have enjoyed). Marcia, Jeff, and Randy headed off to their waves and Robin and I hung out for a while and then she went to...so all alone waiting and watching.
Event warmup:

I was in the final wave at 8:40 so there was no warm up. I waited around until my friend Jeff got out of the water so I could cheer him on, then I went and threw my thermal shirt in transition so I wouldn't have to sacrifice it to the split transition gods.
Swim
  • 38m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Waited until the wave before mine was entering the beach area and took a spot at the front of my wave. Everyone was in great spirits and there was a ton of energy. Everything had gone so smoothly all morning (even the wetsuit dance was funny), so into the water I go. I went to the front and just to the outside. First 50 was good, was out in front and no problem with other swimmers, they were avoiding me thankfully. I think I did kick a few, but their responsibility not mine. Swam up on someone, crap, I was frickin sideways, gotta site more. Cruising again, crap, what the heck is that on my leg and foot...damn seaweed crap. Why are people drafting me since I continue to go sideways? Zig Zag Zig Zag. Around the first buoy reached down and yanked off the seaweed, was tangled around timing chip, almost lost the strap. The course was out, across and back in....damn this across took forever. I had a decent pace going and felt strong. was tightening up and not going as crooked, but felt like the course was long, way long. Had already noticed a lot of other color caps around, must be doing ok. Came back in, through the weeds/seaweed (whatever that crap is) and out of the water and up a mud slide. All the caps around me were from the previous wave of 25-30 yo guys, not bad. Headed for the strongest looking wetsuit stripper, crap, other guy took him, hey there is a good second choice, she was hot!! Wow, Thank you drive through....headed up to transition.
What would you do differently?:

I must have added 4-500 yds with my zig zag and going wide. Will do some siting drills and get that straightened out. I could have went faster too, was saving the energy for the bike since I was so unprepared for the bike, but probably saved too much.
Transition 1
  • 07m 6s
Comments:

T-1 had a lot of rocks, chips, and thorns. Took my time since I didn't want my feet tore up for the ride. Had a great bike rack position, I am seriously considering signing up late again next year so I can be in last row again. Being in the middle of 2500 bikes would be crazy. Picked up my shirt on the way to the bike, glad I got to keep it. Started getting ready, cleaned off muddy dirty feet, oh crap, didn't look at my watch after the swim...hhhmmmm 41 now, must have been sub 40, cool. Started my nutrition plan, big focus today since I always cramp up and run empty on longer training rides (and by longer I mean over 30 miles and today is 56, ha, I am so not prepared) Headed out of transition slowly, trying not to get mud caked on to my cleats.

Once I get some tri-shoes, will learn how to mount quicker. Not too concerned since I am not even remotely close to podium finish, but could use the time competing with friends.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Headed out on the bike, felt good. Didn't even feel like I just swam 1.2 miles (and I probably swam 1.5, ha). I had to pass some people right away, oh no, am I going out too fast, plan is to cruise the first half and see how I feel...well, maybe they are slow, bye bye. Was passing a lot more people than passed me. Loved the hills, changing gears, thinking, predicting, keeping active thoughts. Used the downhills to recover and save energy once I got into the mid 20's I just coasted down. Was going great, oh crap, aero bottle is falling oooooofffffff, got it. Ok, cant fix it riding, how long until the next aid station.... screw it, pulled off at the top of a steep hill where I was already going slow. Crap design, velcro strap slipped out. Fixed it and off I go, didn't loose much time. Caught back up to the people I was around and off I go. Mile 20, going strong, ave speed at 17.5 which was right above my target speed and I felt great. Was sticking to the nutritional plan really well, plenty hydrated, filling up water was smooth, OH CRAP, there goes the water bottle again. Shoot, no hills, no aid station, 2 way car traffic and bikes, hey there is a driveway, guess I can pull over and fix this damn thing once and for all......oh crap, coming in too hot, slow down slow down........ THUD, CRUNCH, OOPS. "Overshot the runway", "man down". Damn I am stupid, but wow, I must have been flying. Head check, legs check, shoulder check, other shoulder,.....oh, that is what hit, OUCH. At least I hit the grassy ditch, could have been worse. Volunteer got my chain back on for me and talked with me a bit. I frickin re-engineered that damn velcro strap right there on the spot, profile design should hire me, that sucker isn't coming off again. Shoulder is killing me, but is functional, off I go. So that happened at 25.5 miles. Changing positions, taking nutrients, grabbing bottles (especially at aid stations at 15mph) all hurt like hell. Oh, and throw the empty bottle OUCH. And back into aero, ouch. Pass up people haha you got passed by a gimp. So the first half of the course, or pre-crash was great, lots of hills and technical riding, loved it. Second half was flatter and windy, sucks. Got bored just going and going but kept going. About 40 miles we are on a road with a lot of cars and a lot of slow bikers, wow, nowhere to go, screw it, here I go, passing cars and bikes. Got through that mess pretty good and only have 10 miles to go, cranked it up, was feeling good, got my legs burning really good. Final 3 miles, wow people are slowing down, cranked it up even more. Attacked the final little hills, was weird riding in next to the run course, the run course was crowded, looked like a long conga-line. Tucked into aero again and put the hammer down. Up the last hill into the final stretch out of the saddle.....done.

Umh, yeah, no more crashing, that sucks. Oh, and then later that night, I noticed I bent my front wheel and I rode the last 30 miles basically with my front brake on the hole time. Wonder what I could have done....Right when I crashed I was ready to start picking up the pace. Probably could have finished with an 18mph+ average. Not bad for riding maybe once a week if that. Wonder what I can do next year if I get my butt in the saddle more often.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my goodies from the Aquabike finish in T-2. Was going to jog around and go through the finish line, but my shoulder was killing me and went to find the medic tent. Headed over to team tailgating area. Gina and Robert were there so hung out with them and got to cheer on the others while they looped around the run course. Was nice to be able to have an area to meet back up with friends after.

Last updated: 2009-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/20
Overall: 830/2000
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:26:19 | 56 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 1700/2000
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/2000
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-10-27 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival

2009-10-27 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2482374

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival
Woohoo! Got a shout out...what!?  Great job on pretty much just swim training, ha! Glad that you are ok, heal up fast so you can rock next season.
2009-10-29 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Solid swim! Next year at your other 70.3 you WILL be faster! I just know it! You are a really solid swimmer!

Bike was awesome! Too bad about the wreck. That totally blows. But at least you were able to finish!

I see some fast 70.3's in your future!

2009-10-29 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Guess it is ok since I only half a$$ swim trained and recreationally biked a few times lol.  Solid (slow) swim, ha.  Oh well, got a feel for it.  Can't believe I was averaging 17.5 before the crash, I was just cruising and not even pushing yet (and that was the hilly section).  Wonder what it will be like if I actually put in some time training.  I so could have shuffled through 13 miles of running after that.
2009-10-29 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2487591

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
What a great Ironman attitude.  Take everything that gets thrown at you and just keep going...Smile  Nice job and terrific effort...  Good luck on your future HIMs... 
2009-10-29 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2487752

User image

Veteran
LonghornBuckeye - 2009-10-29 6:48 PMWhat a great Ironman attitude.  Take everything that gets thrown at you and just keep going...Smile  Nice job and terrific effort...  Good luck on your future HIMs... 
Thanks, really liked your sum up you wrote in the forum..... especially ending on "the memories will be forever."

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed