Augusta, Georgia
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 6h 06m 41s
Overall Rank = 1622/2532
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 68/103
Pre-race routine:

Stopped by McDonald's and got an Egg McMuffin and cup of coffee. Met LisaB and Brian at the Mariott and rode the bus down to the bike transition. Set up my transition area. Rode back to the hotel. Stumped my toe for the second time. This time was worth mentioning because it bled a good bit and hurt the whole race.
Event warmup:

None really other than walking to the swim start from the Mariott. This was my first HIM and my plan was to use this race as a learning tool for B2B full. I was planning on trying to keep it down to IM pace.
Swim
  • 28m 26s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Of course the swim was much faster because of the strong current. Since I considered this a training run, I started my swim in the back and let things spread out a bit before I started pushing it so my swim was a bit slower compared to other people. I made a big mistake by wearing my Garmin chest strap during the swim. It must have leaked because it did not work when I got to T1. That was my first lesson learned for B2B. My plan was to keep my HR below 130. I had to guess on that and I am sure I went over that a few times. It also threw me off a bit. I also forgot to set the lap timer on my wrist watch. I like knowing my data. :)
What would you do differently?:

Either make sure the HR strap is waterproof or put it on in T1.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers helped. While not very fast, this was a pretty good T1 for me. I usually take my time and take a short nap in there. ;)
Bike
  • 3h 04m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice bike route. The scenery was nice. Saw several pace lines go by. I do not really care because I am exercising and do not consider myself racing anyone.

I had planned on keeping track of the different race segments with my Timex lap watch, but forgot to press the lap button after T1. ... Second lesson learned.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than I would have liked to have my HR data.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Again, not particularly fast, but fast for me.
Run
  • 2h 27m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a very slow runner having only started running in the last couple of years. The run felt ok, but I am not so sure that I could have gone another 13.1 miles at that pace. ... third lesson learned. I would have liked to have run faster, but I was satified with the pace. I slowed down a lot over the last few miles. I am sure I am not the only one who did that though. :) That concerns me a bit for B2B although my plan is to go by HR and as I said earlier my HR monitor was not working today.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the NAMSC tent and hung out with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

same as always... preparation and effort

Event comments:

It was a nice race. It thought it was a bit crowded for my taste, but I had a good time. I wish they had not removed the entry limit. It was good for me to make several mistakes with my HR monitor and watch. Hopefully, I will correct those errors at B2B.

Last updated: 2009-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:26 | 2143 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 0/2532
Performance:
Suit: wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:53 | 56 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:27:29 | 13.1 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Great run course. It was nice to see your friends several times on the course. There were lots of really nice strangers along the course too. We had a nice sized contingent from NAMSC there cheering everyone on. I would try to list them, but I do not want to leave anyone out.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes