View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 5h 52m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/97
Pre-race routine:

This was such an easy morning. I LOVE racking a bike the day before...and leaving my bike and run stuff made it even easier! Just got up, had my two bagels, and took off. Arrived at the park in PLENTY of time at 5:30.
Event warmup:

None. I kind of wanted to swim, but I was pretty chilly and didn't want to get wet then sit outside...and I didn't have any run stuff. So I did my normal prerace warmup. Talking. :)
Swim
  • 36m 3s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a great swim for me...I started out front, thinking I could get ahead with the lead group (I don't ever do this, but decided that I am generally a better swimmer than I seed myself). I ended up with some chick on MY feet that wacked my feet every stroke. I kicked hard several times over and over...no luck. Then I had another chick swim across me and clock me right in the eye with her arm. Stuck my goggle onto my eyeball. I had a little panic attack from the shock, then settled, readjusted the goggles. This proved to be a bad idea...Generally I can get away with my goggles not fogging if I put the drops in and don't move them. Since I had to readjust them, moisture got in. I ended up having to stop to lick them off 3 more times. I tried to just ignore it but I just couldn't see any buoys so it just wasn't smart. I couldn't believe my swim was as fast as it was...I expected to be in the 40s.
What would you do differently?:

GET NEW GOGGLES! and at some point, learn to draft off someone in a race. For some reason, I can't seem to do this.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

I don't really care about my transitions for longer races,its about being comfortable. But for some reason I couldn't get my race belt on to save my life! This was a decent run to the transition and we had to put all our stuff into our bags and tie it up. So, this also took more time than normal. Thank god for wetsuit strippers! If I had to take off my wetsuit, it would have added another 30 seconds. I just love them!
Bike
  • 2h 55m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Not nearly as good as I had hoped. My computer ended up being 2.2 miles off, and my average speed according to the faulty computer was 20.14, so I thought I was above 20. :( Disappointed, b/c I was doing my best to maintain that pace. However, I was pleased that I tackled a sight-unseen course, and had a good time. As usual, I talked to cows and horses and some spectators. No one really chatted on course which was odd, I had one dude comment that we were going back and forth with each other...I think I finally beat him in the end. The bumps didn't bother me (hey, its something to focus on!) but I didn't like the road surface itself. Lots of bumpy rock-paved type road surfaces, where you just shake the whole time. I was getting really saddle sore around mile 45...and then the wind started to be a constant headwind. The wind seemed to come and go, but it was consistently against us the last 10 miles, plus is was mainly uphill. Tiring way to end the last few miles. Very excited to be done. Using Eric's race wheels though was incredibly helpful. It may have been mental, it seemed to make a huge difference in the headwinds.

Nothing. I went as hard as I could! I was pleased. I think a cadence meter will definitely help me...a power tap would also be a good training tool, but I can't afford it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

Another long run to my rack. Plus we had to untie the bag and dump our stuff out. For some reason, I had visor issues this time. My velcro kept sticking to my hair. AFter braiding my hair this morning so I wouldn't have to worry about it, it ended up getting more in the way. I grabbed my camera for some race shots. Chatted a bit with Eric, told him, "I'll see you in 3 hours."

Shave my head?
Run
  • 2h 11m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I honestly thought about dropping out during the first mile. I was exhausted already and was worried about my ability to run. I hadn't run much in the past 3 weeks to protect my hamstring and foot, and when I had, it was short distances that I didn't feel that strong. So, when I started and felt crummy, I thought, this is it, I just can't, maybe I shouldn't? But I saw a 2 mile sign...then the 3 mile. The water stops were simply fabulous. There was an Aussie rescue stand (I took a picture of them!), a disco stop, a caveman themed stop, a Greek goddess stop, and tons of bands, including a mariachi band and cheerleaders. All of which made me laugh at some point. the cheerleaders once cheered "Run, go Athletes!" How dumb. :) And, at one point I passed some coaches that were blasting music. Miley Cyrus came on, and I shouted "This will DEFINITELY make me run faster, away from you!" They laughed and said, whatever works! I also got "shot" with water super soakers and enjoyed sponges and wet towels. Wow, when the sun came out, it was HOT! After the first loop I saw Eric and gave him my camera. I just wasn't in the mood to take pictures, I just wanted to survive.

Finally I was up to 4 miles. I actually had a great 2nd loop and managed to run the whole way. However, I felt a blister coming on on my big toe, and the hamstring started to ache. Worse yet I felt a headache as well. I knew it wasn't dehydration since I had stopped to pee as I had taken off on the run, so I was worried a sun migraine was coming on. Decided not to worry about it, I can run 6 miles on a bad headache, right? Saw Eric and he told me I was doing great. I did tell him I was getting worried that this last lap would be slow, but I'd meet him inside the arena.

I took in my second gel, but then had to switch to only ice water. I was on the verge of that nauseous feeling...but I'm not sure it was headache or the fact that I had to pee again. At this point, I was like, dude, I'm just finishing, the bladder will wait! My toe, my head, my bladder, and my hamstring were all aching at this point, so I settled for walking up the two big hills. When I finally got to the disco stop at mile 12, it was time to sail home.

Fantastic to come into the arena...very IMLP like! You did half a lap around and came straight down the chute. As I started to turn, I heard someone yell "Go get her!" I turned and saw some girl right at my shoulder. I yelled "oh no you don't!!" and bolted. Eric said I even threw an elbow. OOPS. :) She laughed at me but I did edge her out at the very end. Hey, NO one beats me in a sprint at the finish. That much I can do!!

Nothing. I really did give it my best shot. And I am very pleased. I thought I was MUCH slower. With the amount of walking I did, I must have been doing pretty well on the running part (for me anyways).
Post race
Warm down:

I was really nauseous at the finish. I actually couldn't eat post race for a long time, I had no appetite! That NEVER happens. :) I did get some ART done, which was great, and I got my picture with Chili, the longhorn cattle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited running, and always, biomechanics. My body is designed for competitive basket weaving.

Event comments:

What a great race! I've done lots of great races, and this one is totally different. it is really spectator and family friendly, has a relaxed aspect to it while also being a top-notch race. The volunteers were incredible! Its a course with enough of a challenge to make it interesting, but not too intimidating
Oh! How did I forget? They handed out foam longhorns and cowbells to the spectators. Does it get any better than that?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:03 | 1931 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/97
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:10 | 56 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/97
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, a few steep ones in the beginning, flat parts, and some pretty bad road paving.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/97
Performance:
Course: Pretty hilly. And sunny.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-27 8:44 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin

2009-10-27 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2483013

User image

Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin
Great times! Very nice job out there.
2009-10-28 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD

Wow ... look at those LEGS!  31 out of 97 in your age group is fantastic, considering the injury-ridden year you've had.  You should be proud. 

2009-10-28 7:26 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
good job.  now please rest up.  a lot. 
2009-10-28 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Great Job Amy! Nice pic too - I like the look on the face of the chick who tried to pass you... little did she know!  And way to go beating that dude out on the bike   We have to have a pact going for IMKY with passing guys... we can talk more about that later Wink
2009-10-28 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Awesome job Amy. What a nice way to finish out the season!!

2009-10-29 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2485569

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Sounds like a blast, great race!
2009-10-29 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

awesome job Amy congrats on a great race and the PR you ROCK

2009-10-29 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on a GREAT race!! I'm glad you had so much fun, too!! Keep up the awesome work- you rock!
2009-10-31 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Congrats on a great race and a fast bike split.  You're going to have to change your screen name.

Ernie
2009-11-01 9:18 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome race Amy. I can't believe you take pictures on the run. I'd expect you to be much slower doing that. But a 2:11 1/2 mary isn't bad at all.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed