General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calcification of Labrum in Hip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-28 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: Calcification of Labrum in Hip
After seven months of pain and three wrong diagnoses I finally had my right hip x-rayed last week and was diagnosed with some calcification of the labrum (cartilage) in my right hip. I haven't sat down and talked to my doctor or physical therapist yet about the diagnosis (it came to me in a three line email) but my doctor seemed to indicate that we'd try PT and if that doesn't work she would refer me to ortho.

I wanted to see if anyone else had experince with anything similar. If so, what was your course of treatment? How long did it take for you to see improvement? Does something like this ever really heal without surgery?

I was planning on doing my first HIM next year, Vineman 70.3, so this is really dissapointing as now I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2009-10-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2484107

User image

Subject: RE: Calcification of Labrum in Hip
What were your symptoms?
2009-10-28 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
My symptoms include pain that radiates from the hip into the groin area, and sometimes around the back of the leg under my backside. I also experience a popping/catching sensation when rotating the leg, moving from a sitting to standing and occasionally when walking/running. Activity makes it worse (aside from swimming) but the pain doesn't go away 100% even when I take a week or two off from training. My PT says that my range of movement on my right side is far worse than on my left (good) side.
2009-10-28 2:54 PM

User image

Hmm... sounds like you need an MRI. Soft tissue injuries don't show up on x-ray.
This may be something like a calcified labrum tear, in which case you'll probably need surgery. I would skip PT and go see ortho, preferably someone that specializes in sports injuries.
2009-10-28 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Thanks so much for your thoughts, my doc said she'll refer me to ortho so it looks like that might be the way to go.
2009-10-28 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2484916

User image

Good Luck.

2009-10-28 8:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

How did they diagnose this?  I agree you need to have an MRI if you have not had one.  That said the accuracy with which hip MRIs are read can vary greatly.  You need to have it done in an MRI machine with at LEAST a 1.5 tessla magnet.  If you have a labral tear it might get better with PT but you may need a hip arthroscopy.  THere are not tons of people who do these.  I see you are in CA.....ALthough I know its far from San Francisco I know af an excellent surgeon and hip arthroscopist at UCLA.  IF you would like to see her let me know and Ill give you her name.  Or if you want I can ask her if she knows anyone in San Fran who does hip scopes. 

2009-10-29 8:10 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I would ask for an MRI with contrast so you can get a very accurate picture of what's going on. The hip can be a tricky area.

FWIW, I have labral tears in my hips (one hip bothers me, the other does not), and spent the summer in PT. I continued to run (through the pain, if you will). I will do my exercises trhough the off season, and see how effective it is when I re-ramp back up next season. It certainly is possible though, to treat hip issues with PT--and a better option than surgery. Hip arthroscopy is really not that widely practiced yet, and there are not a wohle ton of folks who you should trust going in there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calcification of Labrum in Hip Rss Feed