General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missing workouts when sick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-30 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Missing workouts when sick?
Howdy!

I missed my long swim (40 minutes) and long bike (80 minutes) the past few days because of a stomach bug. Today was supposed to be a short swim (26 min) and bike (53min). I'm starting week 2 of a 17 week Olympic training plan (modified from the 16 week beginner plan here). Probably not going to get today's workouts either.

So, when you miss workouts because you are sick for a few days, how do you rearrange your plan? Do you just say 'water over the dam' and start up where you would be, or do you try to get the long workouts in and drop a few shorter ones, or do you ease back into it slower somehow?

In the past, I'd just barrel on ahead and try to add the long workouts I missed and do my regular ones too, but I am not real smart and that's probably how I got sick to begin with - over doing it. I know from experience I can get injured that way, too.

So...any ideas from folks smarter and better at this than me???

Thanks, I'm kinda having that 'bag it all and skip the race' feeling, and I know that's silly....

Annabanana

2005-05-30 5:23 PM
in reply to: #165621

New user
Subject: RE: Missing workouts when sick?
Go by how you feel. when you get better and go out there just play it by what your body tells you. If you feel great then put in a long ride to try and make up some lost time. If you feel like crap then do some really light spinning or don't swim for long. If your still feeling bad tommorow then I would at leas try and put in some very light excersise to keep the muscles fresh.
2005-05-31 7:51 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Sunday was my first workout in 6 days because of a nasty nasty cold.  I felt like I could've gone forever, but I kept it short to not over do it.  You are early enough in your plan that a few days off for illness won't hurt you.  When you are feeling better, plan a short to medium workout to see how you feel.  With a stomach bug, you probably aren't eating enough so you might be feeling pretty weak. Be sure you have some food and water to help fuel you.  After you get one or two workouts in after being sick, you can probably just pick up in the plans current spot.

Feel better soon!

Sarah

2005-05-31 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
It really depends on how sick you have been and how you feel. I missed almost 2 weeks due to an illness and I ended up having my coach rewrite my plan so that I could ease back into things. It has taken me almost a month of working out again to get back to where I was.

I would say just go by how you feel. Don't try to add in workouts . . . if anything cut them short. You are only in your second week . . . missing a few workouts will not hurt your overall performance and could prevent you from missing 2 weeks of workouts like I had to do because I tried to train when I was sick in the beginning. I am training for an Ironman and I was really nervous about missing anything. I learned that it really is OK to miss workouts and that, while I did suffer getting back into things, my body did adjust again to the long hard workouts.

Rest and get better . . . your body will thank you.

Melissa
2005-05-31 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Thanks everyone - all good advice and well taken! I am feeling better in the intestinal tract, but still kinda fuzzy and, well, weird, all over. I've got an appointment with my acupuncturist today that should help me out a lot. Will get some herbs from her, too.

A big huge all day thunderstorm here kinda made my decision for me - and as you all said, it is early, and if I start all over next week I've still got 15.5 weeks to train.

I don't know why I get so messed in the head about training - I think the hardest thing for me about committing to a race and training for it is in my head!

Thanks all for being here, and I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Annabanana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missing workouts when sick? Rss Feed