General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 44s
Overall Rank = 89/1991
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/67
Pre-race routine:

Ryan (yeats on BT), my mom and I drove all the way to Texas from Michigan. What an adventure! Got in to Austin Friday night, had some BBQ and saw downtown Austin. Saturday was a long day of race prep, but we had a good time with it all. I was feeling pretty relaxed and ready to race, until I woke up Sunday morning. As soon as I got up, I just did not want to race. I could only think about how much it was going to hurt, and how I wasn't going to be able to go as fast as I wanted and I would just disappoint myself. It was awful! I got so nervous that I started puking as we were walking toward the shuttle buses. Gross.
Swim
  • 30m 54s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out right up front, right in front of the buoy line. Everyone else starts in the back and away from the buoys. I still don't understand it, but I'm not complaining! I had the easiest, clearest swim of all my races, despite the fact that I came up on at least 3 waves in front of me. Everyone was swimming way far to the right of the buoys, and it looked crowded. I couldn't even draft off of anyone because no one was following the straightest line on the course. How bizarre! So, I just went along, pretending that I had the lake to myself, and really focused on racing the swim. Perfect! I LOVE my new De Soto wetsuit- it is amazing!!
What would you do differently?:

Draft, but like I said- no one was swimming the buoy line.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Transition was really long, and we had to put our wetsuits back into our gear bags- took forever.

Just hustle. I really hate transitions.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Hopped on the bike and my legs felt good. I knew I was a bit behind on nutrition, since I lost half my breakfast pre-race, so I started trying to make it up. I spent the entire race passing people, and felt pretty good until we got to mile 20 or so. My stomach started to revolt, and I just could NOT get it to settle. I puked in my mouth a bit and kept burping for about 20 minutes. I hate my stomach!! I still got down 2.5 full water bottles, 1 full gatorade and 1 full bottle of gatorade + carbopro, a bunch of gu's and a cliff bar. About this same time, there was a very long section of chip seal that seemed to last forever. It was the worst section of road I've ever ridden, and it really got to me, mentally. I was distracted and not too happy, and started questioning why I was even out there. Bad spot, mentally- I lost focus, got down on myself and I just couldn't pull myself out of it. It's really unfortunate, because my legs felt good, but my power just kept dropping.

In order to snap out of it, I just had to stop caring about the race. I stopped looking at my power, stopped obsessing about my speed, and just enjoyed riding my bike. I shut off my brain from worrying about my pace on the run, and just decided I had to go run because I LIKE running, not because I have to. This is supposed to be fun!

Then, it was fun. I just enjoyed my smooth, fast bike, my sweet wheels, my aerodynamic-ness, and had a blast passing a ton of people.

Not suck. Overall, I felt like I was passing people the entire ride, and hardly anyone got by me- even guys, so I guess it wasn't too bad. I just know I could have, and should have, gone faster.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I didn't know the end was coming, so I didn't have time to take my shoes off the pedals. Oops!

We had to take our shoes out of our bags, so that took a while, but I also just wasn't in a hurry!
Run
  • 1h 32m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My run went better than I expected, after my crappy bike. There were a lot of people on the course, and I passed a lot of people. I caught up to a few AG girls right away, and for most of the run, felt like I was the only one really running. I even passed two female pros on their third lap- they really seemed to be struggling. I kept my pace relatively steady, but just couldn't get going any faster. Everytime I tried to pick up the pace, my legs got really heavy and my pace actually slowed, so I just kept it steady and even the whole way.

The great thing about the 3 loop run course was that I got to see Ryan a few times on the run. That always lifted my spirits and I was so happy to see him running. It also kept me motivated, because he wasn't too far behind me, and I knew he started a lot later, so I was really worried that he would beat me. That was probably the single greatest factor to keep my pace steady.

I didn't walk for a second, nor did I want to, but I just didn't put myself through enough pain to feel 100% satisfied with my bike/run. I left just a bit on that course, and I hate that I don't feel like I gave it my all. I put in a very solid effort, and had a good race, and a good time (once I stopped puking), but if I want to see any more improvements at this distance, I need to suck it up and make it hurt.
Post race
Warm down:

I found my mom and talked to Bill and his wife Holly and kids for a bit. That was very nice. I then stood at the finish, frantically watching the clock and looking for Ryan. I knew he started 15 minutes behind me, so I nervously watched the clock tick away. Once the 15minute gap passed, I breathed a sigh of relief- Ryan will not defeat me in this year- Phew! Next year, I know it's game over, but I will savor this year's victory in our never ending battle of the sexes :) He still kicked serious a$$ and PRed, and crushed my pathetic bike split- but I am still Triathlon Queen in our house! hehe.

We ate some food, gathered up our stuff, and checked results. I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to take 4th amateur, so the race wasn't all that bad. We chatted with Lisac and Tom for a bit before hitting the road on the long, somewhat painful drive back to MI. Buh-Bye sun- see you in 6 months!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My brain, nerves and guts. Actually- nerves, guts, then brain. Stupid neurons.

I guess I will concede that there is a slight possibility that it's been a long season, but I hate to use it as a true excuse. I've been racing hard for 3 years now, and have raced 8 Half Ironmans and 2 marathons these past 2 years. I've had some great races and Jorge has kept me 100% healthy and injury free, but I think my body knows it's time for a break. So, I'll listen, I suppose, since next year, the battle will rage on at IMLP :)

Event comments:

The race itself was great- very well organized and a very fair course. The expo was fun, there was a lot to do- very spectator friendly and the athletes were very well cared for. It was an exciting event! The course: some people described the race as 'rolling hills', but that's not exactly right. It isn't exactly flat, but 'hill' is the wrong word, too, except for the 2 real hills. It was a lot like Michigan, I guess, with just enough incline and wind to keep you honest. The thing is though- the roads are just so awful, compared to what I'm used to, that I can NOT recommend the race without explaining the conditions- I would never, ever ride it again, ever. It felt so unsafe with all the giant cracks that go WITH your wheel- even if they were well marked- you had to still avoid them, and avoid people who were avoiding the bumps and cracks. Scary. And then, there's the other surface- the chipseal crap that they use in Texas, apparently, to 'pave' their roads. If you ride on chipseal, or something similar, apparently the roads we used were amazing in comparison- but I hated every minute of it, and will never ride my bike in Texas again. To me, it was so mentally draining, really rough on my butt and the vibration just dampened my momentum. Everything else was great, and it had the fun, exciting environment of a world class event- lots of goodies, lots of people, tons of fast looking bikes and a lot of eye candy ;) The volunteers and aid stations were great as well- people were dressed up, enthusiastic and funny- it made the run especially enjoyable. If that's your thing, and you don't mind awful roads- then it was a perfect event.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:54 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/67
Overall: 159/1991
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto T2 (I think?) First race in the new suit!
Course: Wonderful course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:22 | 56 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/67
Overall: 256/1991
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop course. Awful road conditions. Giant cracks as well as horrendous chipseal for about 10 miles. Yuck.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:32:07 | 13.1 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/67
Overall: 75/1991
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loop course with 6 or so gradual hills on each loop. Not hilly, per se, but not flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-28 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2009-10-28 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2484888

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
You certainly had some chicas looking over their shoulder on that run where you might've been the only one out there who got stronger as the laps wore on. It was fun chasing you this weekend!
2009-10-28 4:23 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Impressive, as always, girl.
You ROCKED it out there!

It was super nice to see friendly-familiar faces on both Saturday and Sunday. Thanks for the co2, too! Have a great off season - you deserve it!
2009-10-28 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
You did awesome out there Alaina! As always, I'm so impressed.

Enjoy the time off this winter. You'll get more training than you could ever want for IMLP next year. Trust me.
2009-10-28 11:47 PM

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
FANTASTIC job as usual Alaina! I always LOVE seeing your race reports! You're an AMAZING athlete! You must be so proud! Great race! Keep it goin'! You're boy is gettin' fast and he's gunnin' for you! LOL!
2009-10-29 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

The roads were worse then what we have here, WTF?  How is that possible?

Nice finish to the season, enjoy some downtime.

2009-10-29 9:26 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Great job Alaina!!  Or should I say Chuck.  I think that's your new nickname.  Chuck. 

2009-10-29 9:42 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
You'd figure a brain doc would be able to figure out how to not let it get in the way!

At least you finally shut it down and actually let your body do it's thing toward the end of the bike and on the run.

Smoking splits as always and a fantastic result!  You're gonna destroy me at LP. Money mouth
2009-10-29 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Very nice race!

Enjoyed your description of our Texas chipseal.  I didn't know we had it that bad!
2009-10-29 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm happy that you aren't my girlfriend. My wife is already so much better than me at so many things, I don't know if my ego could take it
Nice race, and way to overcome the negative thoughts on the bike. I had some of those same thoughts on the bike and was also able to let them go. Of course I didn't run close to a 1:30, but I'm getting closer.
The Texas roads are tough, especially compared to riding along the coast of Lake Michigan in the summer. The good thing is that I can ride 12 months a year! Like I said in the race thread, don't give up on Texas. The race in Galveston is worth the trip.
2009-10-29 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2486528

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
dangitdake - 2009-10-29 11:46 AM

Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm happy that you aren't my girlfriend. My wife is already so much better than me at so many things, I don't know if my ego could take it
Nice race, and way to overcome the negative thoughts on the bike. I had some of those same thoughts on the bike and was also able to let them go. Of course I didn't run close to a 1:30, but I'm getting closer.
The Texas roads are tough, especially compared to riding along the coast of Lake Michigan in the summer. The good thing is that I can ride 12 months a year! Like I said in the race thread, don't give up on Texas. The race in Galveston is worth the trip.

Yeah, yeah - I know- I'll be on the trainer until May. All you Texans can keep rubbing it in, I deserve it

2009-10-29 3:02 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
It sounds like you used the same pre race routine for Musselman Alaina. I believe you may have found the magic towards the end of your bike. If the training is there, enjoy the race and the performance will be there. You had a great swim and a great bike but when you put so much pressure on speed and power you kind of set yourself up for disappointment. You are an incredible athlete and you're going to rock IMLP, especially if you can enjoy the course!

Wait a minute!! RYAN BEAT YOU ON THE BIKE?!! YOU LET RYAN BEAT YOU ON THE BIKE?

Great race and another great report!!
2009-10-29 6:38 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

You are a total inspiration to so many people on this site!! What a great race..as always.  Congrats Alaina!!

2009-10-29 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I am super impressed. Awesome job. Looks like you have the HIM distance mastered. You will do great at IM

2009-10-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2487910

User image

Champion
the colony texas
OUTSTANDING race..  and congrats on being the queen of the house for races this year

the first time I road on chip seal I was ready to give up biking, and you are correct what we call a Hill here was just the normal terrain back in Ohio, so I imagine it's the same in Michigan. 

great race, have a great off season
2009-10-30 7:05 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
sorry you had the pukes so bad but it didnt seem to hamper your race too much. great job on the run and that bike split is nothing to hang your head about. as for the swim, i was swimming wide right as well b/c my goggles were foggy and i couldnt see the buoys. when i did look up i saw more people to the right and thought i was off course. i wasted at least a min on that damn swim! we do have some chitty roads and the chip seal keeps coming fast and furious. it takes getting use to but it really does wear down your body and make you feel slow. and those cracks in the road could gobble up a motorcycle tire! however, i work in auto insurance claims and my offices and customers in MI say yall roads are really bad due to the weather changes breaking up the roads enjoy the winter!

2009-10-30 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Hey! It was so cool finally meeting you. 4:45 is awesome on a good day, and just beyond words on a day when you don't feel so hot. Seriously, that's incredible. You remind me of Peggy in so many ways already, I need to send you her Kona race report so you can see why. Way to go! Or as my man Kade would say, way to GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOOOOOO!

2009-10-31 10:47 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

*blink blink - still trying to figure out how you and Ryan do that speedy stuff*

Okay, I figured it out - one doesn't get faster by being young, having good genes, or working your butt off consistently.  Nope.  It's barfing before the race!  Yep.  I know your secrets now!

As I typed in Yeatsy's RR, you and he are the Dynamic Duo!

Fantastic job, and great job with the mind control, too - that seemed to help your race!

2009-11-02 1:52 PM

User image

Fantastic race and report Alaina.  Just think how fast you're going to be once Ryan teaches you how to bike!  Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed