Legs for Literacy
16C / 61F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 44m 33s
Overall Rank = 62/507
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 15/65
Pre-race routine:

All week, they were forcasting heavy rain and winds for Sunday. It rained pretty hard on Saturday and during the night. When we got up on Sunday morning around 6h00, it was still raining, but the high winds during the night had cleared the clouds faster than forcasted. I checked the weather channel, and now it was suppose to stop raining around the start of the race, but the winds would still be there.

The marathon started at 8h00 so I watched the start, my cousin was running it with some friends. Our start for the half was at 8h30.
Event warmup:

I jogged around a little and just tried to stay warm. It was still raining at that point but not very hard. But it was windy. It was relatively hot for this time of the year so I was able to run in shorts.
Run
  • 1h 44m 33s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 57s  min/km
Comments:

As we where getting ready to go (1 minute before the start), mother nature decided it was time for a shower. It started raining really hard, just like someone had dropped a bucket of water on your head. And the winds increased like we were in the middle of a storm. Now everybody was wet from head to toes.

And here we go. The heavy rain didn`t last very long, maybe 2 or 3 minutes. 10 minutes into the race, it stopped raining, youououou. I was running with a friend that usually runs faster than me. He had an injury a few weeks ago so I decided to follow him as long as I could. My goal was to finish faster than 1h45.

We ran the first 5km in the streets. After that, we hit the trails. It was full of puddles, and trying to avoid them was close to impossible and even dangerous for pulling muscles. My feet were all wet, so at one point I decided to just go strait and stop avoiding the puddles. The winds died down a little, but were still strong at times.

We were going at a good pace, on track for my 1h45. We talked and the race seemed to go really fast. Well it seemed that way. Talking really helps to make your race easier. In no time, we were at the half point. And the sun was actually peeking through the clouds. Comming back, we were able to keep the pace. My friend started to feel some pain in his knee, and started to slow down around 3km before the end. I was right on track for my goal so I told him I would keep the pace for the rest of the race. Actually, I began accelerating a little since I felt I had a little more juice in the tank. I was able to maintain the faster pace for two km, but the last one I was slowing down and was happy when I crossed the finish line in 1h44:33. Good thing I acclerated at the end because I would not have finished under my objective. My garmin was a little off for the distance and made me believe I was around 30sec ahead of my objective before I started accelerating when in fact, I was probably just even.
What would you do differently?:

I did my best.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little and waited for some friends to finish. Went home to take a shower and change (15 minutes from the start) and went back to watch my cousin and friends finishing the marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Puddles and wind. I now have a big blister on one heel and on one toe.

Event comments:

Good race, I will be back next year.......

Last updated: 2009-07-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:33 | 21.1 kms | 04m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 15/65
Overall: 62/507
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back in the streets and on the trails
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5