Other Resources Challenge Me! » I don't know if I'll acheive my goals Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-30 11:52 PM

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: I don't know if I'll acheive my goals
I am worried I will never get to the finish line of a tri because I will never get past the start. The reason...I am afraid of deep water...not just lake water but even in the lap pool. Lake/river water just intesifies the uneasiness. I hate water that I can not touch. I know this isn't rational. I can swim and swim well.

Let me explain my fears. This weekend, I went hiking/camping with some friends in Moab. It was hot and we went to a place that the locals call the "Swimming hole". I couldn't get in past mid-calf. In the lap pool...I cling to the side for dear life when I jump in. I swim fine in the deep water once I get going but I am anxious about making it to the side, etc during it. I have read the articles and the threads regarding fears of open water swimming. But, they don't help me.

I should state I had two bad experiences in water. The first was during swimming lessons as a 7 year old in beginning swimming lessons. I was thrown off the diving board by the WSI and nearly drowned. I didn't get in the water until 7 years later. I learned how to swim through the patience and guidance of friends of my parents. I continued to swim and improved my skills. I swam in college to help in my training as a distance runner. The second incident was during a white water rafting trip. I thrown from the boat as we impacted a rock and spent the next 3/4 of mile trying to get out of the river. I broke my scapula and foot which complicated my ability to get to the bank.

I really want to get past these fears. I love the three disciplines and love and look forward to the challenge of competing in them and doing my best. Any words of advice. Please help.

2005-05-31 12:18 AM
in reply to: #165767

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: RE: I don't know if I'll acheive my goals
Fear is something that contols you...

Respect is something that you control...

Healthy respect of water is good. How you convert fear to respect is simply a by-product of exposure to the fear at a level that is acceptable. Increasing this level of acceptance to the point where confidence replaces fear is a process that takes time. But, the first step starts with accepting and finding your level of tolerance... then, slowly increasing this tolerance level... until fear is replace by respect and tolerance.

With swimming this means exposure to your fears in a moderate and controlled environment.

This can mean a lot of things... but, the best approach is to take small steps with the help of those with experience in dealing with these types of phobias (this could anyone from a trained psychologist to a very experience swim coach).

Good Luck...

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-05-31 12:18 AM
2005-05-31 6:37 AM

Hve you tried swimming with someone next to you in a canoe or kayak?
2005-05-31 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I know these problems are mental but swim coaches often take on students with the specific goal of overcoming fear in the water...it's very common apparently among children as well as yound adults.....there are drills that can grow a greater sense of comfort in the water, some have been described here in previous threads......FWIW....
2005-05-31 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
As someone who was terrified of water over my head as a child, I understand your fears. My advice is to swim often. Get a good friend to make you keep going once you cross into the deep end. Keep swimming lap after lap after lap. You know the water that holds you up in the shallow is the same water that holds you up in the deep. Maybe get a group of friends to keep swimming in the deep water. Practice your treading skills with friends. Park yourself in the deep end of the pool with your friends, make eye contact and play "Simon Says", sing show tunes, anything to get your mind off of where you are in the pool. As the fear fades in the swimming pool, then progress to open water. I think you overcome this thing faster as a child, but if you want it bad enough, you can overcome it as an adult. You can do it!!!!

Pam
2005-05-31 12:31 PM

Elite Veteran
Dr Hammer, I know this sounds funny, but if you are willing to travel, you can do a triathlon on June 26th in Shreveport (Sunrise Triathlon Series #3). It is a 500 yd pool swim, all in shallow water. Perhaps completing one will give you that extra push to overcome your fears.

Good luck.

2005-05-31 2:43 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: Don't look for "feel good" solutions
Dr. Hammer,

You seriously broke your scapula? Isn't that the hardest bone in the human body to break? That is some serious river you were in. I am impressed you could climb back into the boat at all!

Look at the responses to your concerns so far -- most people tell you to get into the water. I think it is smart to use some type of support, if it is a canoe following you, a person to help you through your fears or even taking small steps. This is something you can do, but it will be up to you. I have a fear of hieghts, so I am happy to go up rock climbing, but coming down has always been a problem. To manage my fear, I started climbing with someone I knew and trusted to catch me when I fall. Notice I said manage and not overcome.

But it is up to you to manage this fear. Your concerns are obviously based on events and facts that have occured to you. But, without a concerted mental effort, nobody will manage that fear for you. Have you tried visualization? Have you tried getting into a hot tub?

You can do it, but it will take you getting back into the water.

Mike
2005-05-31 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

For starters, and like some others have said...find a buddy.  I'll practice open water swims with an avid kayaker friend of mine, but any strong and experienced swimmer will do.

Do the breast stroke!!!  A lot of stress comes from being able to see the bottom, or having your head in some cloudy lake water where you can't see anything six inches from your face.  Having your head above the water at least eliminates a bit of stress.  It allows you to breathe whenever you want and talk whenever you want, and most importantly keeps your eyeballs from seeing what's where.

Pick races that cater to the other 2 events.  Obviously you don't want to pick a race that is a too long because your freak out factor might kick in.  There's several "super" sprints in my area where all the events are 1/2 the distance of a regular sprint.  Or, find tris that have very short pool swims.  I'd stay away from an open water race until you've had a couple of successful practice runs done with a buddy.

And oh yeah...get in some duathlons in the meantime so you stay race ready, practice your transitions, etc.

Edited by jkbostic 2005-05-31 3:04 PM
2005-05-31 10:36 PM
in reply to: #166108

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: Don't look for "feel good" solutions
Yes, broken scapula. Yes, it is one of the hardest to fracture. But, it helps when the impact occurs over the scapula. I did get back in the boat. I even had to swim to shore before the raft could pick me up. Makes for a great story.

I do want to thank all for the great insight and advice. I know I will never be without my trusty wetsuit. My training bud is going to help me with the open water swimming. Another friend has both kayaks and canoes...doesn't know it yet but he will be involved as well. I am learning the breast stroke but am so slow at it...but if it will help...then breast stroke I will do when anxiety starts in. Will keep you posted as to my progress.
2005-06-01 8:11 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Honestly, possibly the best way to get over it is to boat out a distance in a lake with someone. Jump in. Swim back to shore with them going alongside or behind you.

I know it's going to be scary at first, but you'll either [1] quickly get over your fears, [2] realize that triathlon is not going to be someothing you'll enjoy doing ... and go sign up for some duathlons.

Fear is usually the result of simply not being comfortable ... often due to an unfamiliarity. Someone that is around snakes, sharks, spiders, darkness, etc is likely to be a lot less fearful of such things. IMO, I don't see how you'll get past it by taking "baby steps" or using a gradual method. If it were me, I'd just give myself the "deep water test" (above) and see if I need to switch to duathlons or get on with my triathlon experience.

I wish you the best of luck, and really hope that you conquer your fear ... there are very few things in life that feel as rewarding as defeating fear. It should also be pointed out that it is okay to be scared ... but not letting that fear dictate your behavior. As the story goes, letting fear dictate your behavior is the difference between the hero and the coward.
2005-06-01 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
I think a big part of this sports is overcoming your fears...
The fear of swiming, the fear of biking, (there is no much fear in running but it is intimidating experience for non runners).
The posibility of overcoming those fears will make you or break you as a triathlete.
I was afraid of the bike, long rides on the middle of the road with all those vehicles... a crash...
I am still afraid but I will not let that fear getting between my dream and I.
Think about it, how bad do you want to do this?
I do not think you will overcome your fear but the idea is to manage it.
You can also try hypnosis..... just a thought...
Good luck..
PS. You can still do duathlons while you solve your swiming issues....

2005-06-01 10:02 AM
in reply to: #166374

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Don't look for "feel good" solutions
The Reebok Women's Triathlon series allows for "Swim Buddies" to swim along with you if you're hesitant about the swim... I think they are lifeguards from the facility in which the event is being held... I don't know if Reebok offers a race in your general vicinity, though... Good Luck... Whizzzzzzzzzz
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » I don't know if I'll acheive my goals Rss Feed