General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming Back off Low Back Disc Herniation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-01 11:44 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: Coming Back off Low Back Disc Herniation
Other than starting slowly and listening to your body, does anyone have any thoughts, training plan or tips on returning to training and setting goals following a 3 month layoff due to a L5/S1 disc herniation.  I have been medically cleared to participate in any activity within reason (other than squats, deadlifts and other heavy lifting motions).  Thanks and boy did the 3 miler today hurt! It is amazing how the fitness just gets sucked out of you after a layoff.

2009-11-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2491866

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Coming Back off Low Back Disc Herniation
Glad to see you are cleared to get back to what you love!
2009-11-01 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
jsklarz - 2009-11-01 12:44 PM Other than starting slowly and listening to your body, does anyone have any thoughts, training plan or tips on returning to training and setting goals following a 3 month layoff due to a L5/S1 disc herniation.  I have been medically cleared to participate in any activity within reason (other than squats, deadlifts and other heavy lifting motions).  Thanks and boy did the 3 miler today hurt! It is amazing how the fitness just gets sucked out of you after a layoff.

I have the same herniation.  Did 15 weeks of spinal decompression and have been back at it for several weeks with no issues.  Make sure your stride is nice an smooth and does not have a lot of vertical moment.  Back off if it hurts. 

Might want to focus more on biking and swimming than running for a while.

Did you have surgery?
2009-11-01 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
I have had L4 and L5 worked on and what i do for back exercise and stretching is use a big ole exercise ball and i lay on it flat and stretch it out. Works great for me, it gets my back loosened up before i go running. Hope this helps out.
2009-11-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2491891

User image

New Haven, CT
TriRSquared - 2009-11-01 1:09 PM
jsklarz - 2009-11-01 12:44 PM Other than starting slowly and listening to your body, does anyone have any thoughts, training plan or tips on returning to training and setting goals following a 3 month layoff due to a L5/S1 disc herniation.  I have been medically cleared to participate in any activity within reason (other than squats, deadlifts and other heavy lifting motions).  Thanks and boy did the 3 miler today hurt! It is amazing how the fitness just gets sucked out of you after a layoff.

I have the same herniation.  Did 15 weeks of spinal decompression and have been back at it for several weeks with no issues.  Make sure your stride is nice an smooth and does not have a lot of vertical moment.  Back off if it hurts. 

Might want to focus more on biking and swimming than running for a while.

Did you have surgery?

No surgery, had a course of oral steroids.  I have this theory that the bike is worse than running due to the seated position placing more pressure on the disc, I am not sure if this is true but it seems not illogical.  Thanks.  Glad you are healing up also. 
2009-11-02 8:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-11-02 9:06 AM

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Right there with you.....L4/L5 and L5/S1.  I started PT last week, and see the surgeon tomorrow.  Going to do everything I can do to avoid surgery.  I'll probably start with a steroid injection.   The PT is lots of stretching and core work.  I'm cleared to swim, and the PT guy advised that biking is okay, if I'm not grinding hills.   Running is out for now.  This is very frustrating, and very painful.  Sitting is the worst, especially in the car.  For some reason, biking doesn't cause the same problems.

The PT guy DID tell me that he thought I'd be able to do Boston in April.....

Edited by velcromom 2009-11-02 9:08 AM
2009-11-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2492823

Champion
SRQ, FL
PennState - 2009-11-02 9:20 AM I have been dealing with Lumbar disc issues myself.

For me, swimming is the biggest aggravator, as my position in the water aggravates the issue. Running and biking are much more gentle on my problem.

Interesting... show you how each case is unique.  Swimming was the ONLY thing that made mine feel better.
2009-11-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2493061

New Haven, CT

This goes to show you how funky back problems are.  I have friends who are neurosurgeons, orthos, spoke with them and they are ambiguious; my Drs (a neurosurgeon, orto. and DC) are also unclear.  I think the fact is that back injuries are so different that a reahab regime is almost impossible to prescribe.  I am meeting with a tri coach who has a degree in phisiology next week, I'll let you know what I learn. 

BTW, I could not walk for a week due to pain in my leg, never had any back pain, despite the MRI showing a total disc blow out. 

Best of luck to all of the wounded out there.

2009-11-03 11:46 AM

Champion
MA
I had back surgery on L4-5L5 about 12 years ago as I herniated discs and had foot drop (ie couldn't life my left foot and w/o surgery would never have gotten that back). My back hurt every day for years after the surgery mostly in the mornings I could barely walk down the stairs or sit down and get up from the toilet in the am. It wasn't until 5 years post surgery that I lost weight and got in shape that my back pain left me. I found key was weight and core strength. Now my back bothers me maybe 5 days a year compared to 2-5 hours every day for years.

When I started doing tris I wasn't sure I could even ride a road bike with my back history. I sometimes forget how much progress I have made and how fortunate I am to be able to do all the cool stuff I can given what things were like for years.

When doing some Pilates and Yoga moves I find that certain things I can't do as my back won't move normal ways in that spot but in scheme of things I'm very pleased with what I can do.

You will find your way...be patient and keep searching so you find what works for you.
2009-11-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2495401

New Haven, CT
KathyG - 2009-11-03 12:46 PM I had back surgery on L4-5L5 about 12 years ago as I herniated discs and had foot drop (ie couldn't life my left foot and w/o surgery would never have gotten that back). My back hurt every day for years after the surgery mostly in the mornings I could barely walk down the stairs or sit down and get up from the toilet in the am. It wasn't until 5 years post surgery that I lost weight and got in shape that my back pain left me. I found key was weight and core strength. Now my back bothers me maybe 5 days a year compared to 2-5 hours every day for years.

When I started doing tris I wasn't sure I could even ride a road bike with my back history. I sometimes forget how much progress I have made and how fortunate I am to be able to do all the cool stuff I can given what things were like for years.

When doing some Pilates and Yoga moves I find that certain things I can't do as my back won't move normal ways in that spot but in scheme of things I'm very pleased with what I can do.

You will find your way...be patient and keep searching so you find what works for you.

Kathy

is it fair to say you approach to recovery was/is to do everything but just be "listen to your body"? Alternatively, is there anything you would absolutely do/not do?  Thansk.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming Back off Low Back Disc Herniation Rss Feed