Dallas, Texas
United States
Dallas Running Club
Total Time = 1h 39m 56s
Overall Rank = 260/3138
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/283
Pre-race routine:

The extra hour of sleep from daylight savings was nice. Up at 5:40, dressed, and 1.5 bowls of oatmeal before picking up Greg to head to White Rock. Parked at White Rock Station and took the shuttle to the race site. Saw Marcy, Steve, and Aaron just after the bus drop off and said hi.
Event warmup:

10 minutes of jogging w/ Greg
Run
  • 1h 39m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run. Paced it well, staying pretty comfortable through the first half. Picked up the pace around mile 10 and again at 12, with a good final kick the last third of a mile and a burst at the finish to hold off someone that tried to pass.
What would you do differently?:

Start increasing the pace earlier than mile 10. Also, better warmup, so I can start the first few miles faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, because they forced you though the food tent immediately. Grabbed some food from the tent, saw Greg come though the finish. Fantastic massage from ChiroSport, including work on the IT bands. Saw Rodney, Gerald, and Aaron (again).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No recent speedwork, and the fact that I wasn't targeting this as an A race. I did push well on this, though I might have been able to push harder overall, but I didn't want to hobble myself for upcoming training.

Event comments:

A very well done race by DRC. The course is nice, with a majority under tree cover and winding around the lake. Aid stations were well-manned and well-stocked.

Post-race food was ok -- pizza, fruit, small breakfast burrito, protein drink, and Luna bars. More vendor tents than I expected to see, many handing out samples, which were nice. Unfortunately, they forced you to pick it up immediately after finishing, and I wasn't hungry then.

The bag drop is a great aspect, so you can stay warm before the race but not have to carry extra clothes during the event or discard them.
The shuttle buses to remote parking were just fine.

Last updated: 2009-08-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:56 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/283
Overall: 260/3138
Performance: Good
Course: Around White Rock lake and some surrounding neighborhoods. Some hills in the neighborhoods, but nothing serious. Otherwise pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-01 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: The Half

2009-11-01 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2492419

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: The Half
Good race dude, the weather was just amazing, huh?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Half Rss Feed