Dallas Sports University
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 5/556
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/42
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal for breakfast; bundle kids into car. Pretty calm getting setup in transition, though the lines for transition and chip pickup were pretty bad. Having a nice bathroom inside the natatorium was a nice thing, though.
Event warmup:

Jogged a 1/2 mile or so. Swam 100m shortly before swim start.
Swim
  • 04m 57s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was slower than I was hoping. Wasn't feeling particularly strong during the warmup, and it proved out during the race. Passsed one or two, got passed by a couple, but I held the draft on some of the faster ones. Plus I was able to get the open ladder for a fast exit.

Also, there was no timing mat, and I also wasn't really clear when the timer was starting me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Solid T1. No socks, so just slipped into shoes quickly. Some tangled straps on the helmet, but only cost a second or two. Bake came off rack easily, and I was able to run faster than some through transition, but a great flying mount onto the bike.

AG: 4th
OA: 10th
What would you do differently?:

Not much about the transition itself.

Glasses were in shifter cables so I could put them on once on bike; however, apparently I knocked them off during the mount. Don't do that. (Fortunately, someone saw it and turned them in for me.)
Bike
  • 34m 28s
  • 12.52 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed pretty hard and passed quite a few people at the beginning. (younger/less experienced racers?) Pace was hard/steady, but sustainable; kept it in the big chainring throughout, even up the hills. Got passed late in the 2nd loop by the person who eventually won my age group.

Still need to get back to being as comfortable in corners as I used to be; I lost a little time there, I suspect. Also, some more practice on the road with the disc/Hed combo. No significant problems today, though the wind did buffet me just a little.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Fantastic flying dismount into a run. Quick rack of the bike and into my shoes (still w/o socks). Grabbed race belt and headed out of transition, only a few steps behind the person who had passed me on the bike.

AG: 1st
OA: 12th

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I pushed hard on this run. I had a rabbit ahead of me leaving transition, and though he steadily pulled ahead, I kept up the initial pace. He evetually passed someone else, who I then chased and finally passed at mile 2. Never looked back, but I always worried he was still behind me, and I think I picked it up even a little more for the last 1/2 mile.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Held myself up against the timing truck after crossing the finish. A little stretch and walking.

Event comments:

Apparently the griddle wouldn't heat up, so no pancakes. :-( But credit to the team for improvising with donuts, snack mix, cookies, cereal, etc. Plenty to munch on. Chatted with Aaron, Marci, Steve, and Shannon.

The skies had clouded and the wind picked up; it was getting cool. It was going to be a while until everyone finished, so we took the kids to McDonalds for pancakes before coming back for awards.

Last updated: 2009-10-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:57 | 300 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/42
Overall: 35/556
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 300m pool swim = 6 x 50m lanes, single direction per lane (nice for passing)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:28 | 12.52 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/42
Overall: 10/556
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps of a square course on city streets. Some relatively small rolling hills, with only one or two 'climbs' that weren't very steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:46 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/42
Overall: 6/556
Course: Paved jogging trail, tree-lined, with some mild rolling gradient.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes