United States
MCCS Commanding Officers Fitness Series MCBH
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 7s
Overall Rank = 11/183
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

We stayed in the BOQ on the base because we didn't want to get up at 3 AM to drive all the way to the other side of the island. Woke up around 5:30 and finally got my feet on the floor at around 6:00. Drank a cup of coffee and ate a bananna and a granola bar before jumping in the shower to finish waking up.
After double-checking what little gear we had, we walked out to the truck to prep the bikes. Inflated the tires, loaded up water, checked the gearing and brakes. The ride to check in/transition was about a mile of downhill, so not much of a warm-up there. After checking in and setting up a minimal transition I just walked around chatting with people I knew. Jim and Shaun were both in good spirits and anxious to get started.
Event warmup:

I put on my running shoes for a quick jog down the flight line before handing them over for their ride to T2. My swim warmup consisted of jumping in the water and doing a few meters to test for goggle leakage.
Swim
  • 09m 39s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim start was a complete surprise. We were all milling about either in the water or on the ramp waiting for the "get set". Well, we never got it. Out of nowhere, the gun goes off! People were caught completely by surprise, many still didn't have their goggles on yet. Luckily for me, I was already in.
I started out easy, trying to find a pair of feet to draft. After catching a foot in the goggles, I abandoned that idea and just decided to swim. The swim was pretty uneventful for me. I got to the first turn bouy with only minor jostling. I was ready for the turn into the sun this year, I wore my mirrored goggles. Lesson learned from last year, couldn't see crap due to the sun. This year at least I could make out the distinct shape of the next turn bouy to sight off of.
I made the last turn and headed for shore. No major problems on the swim. I did have a little problem exiting the water though. The boat ramp was covered in what I can best describe as branacles. I was rushing to get out so I stepped on one and cut the crap out of my big toe. HTFU right?
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was pretty happy with my swim. It's never been a strong event for me, but I did manage to knock 40 seconds off last year's time. I still need to get a coach and improve my stroke, but that will have to wait until after IMWA.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Out of the water, goggles off, ran to bike, racked goggles, wiped off face, put on race belt, put on glasses, put on helmet, grabbed bike, ran to exit. First in age group and shaved 7 seconds off last year.

Maybe get to the race earlier and get a better spot?
Bike
  • 32m 22s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

After mounting the bike and getting up to speed, I slipped my feet into the shoes and started passing all the dolphins. I've really worked hard on my bike this year and was anxious to see if it payed off. The first part of the race is along the shore with the wind to your back. It was easy to do 28-29 MPH, which meant the turn into the wind was going to suck.
Made the right turn past the old ammo bunker and started for the airfield. Once out of the protection of the trees the wind hit and it hit hard. I tucked in as tight as I could and dropped down a few gears. Thankfully, there was a left turn onto a protected road, but it had the one hill of the course. It wasn't a bad hill, I managed to stay seated and passed quite a few people. I took it easy on the backside because I didn't trust my front brake, it was squeaking badly for some reason.
After the downhill and a left turn we headed for the tarmac. I wasn't looking forward to this part, I knew it was going to be the strongest wind yet and I was right. Turning into the wind was like hitting a wall. Again I tucked in and beared down until the turn around. It was a 180 degree turn so we got to enjoy the strong wind directly at our back. It was awesome doing 29-30 MPH for about 2 or so miles.
Of course, there was another 180 degree turn at the end of the tarmac, so once again, tuck and gut it out until a right hand turn, a little straight-away and another right leading back to T1.
One more loop almost exactly the same except for the final turn towards T2. The female winner caught me on the hill the second time around, but after she passed me I managed to stay with her (not drafting) the rest of the way. There were alot of position fouls and some drafting going on. But there wasn't a single ref on the course that I could see to penalize anybody. I don't think I commited any violations though, I was trying to be very concious of drafting zones and I made sure to drop back the few times I was passed. I didn't want to develop any bad habits that would show up in IMWA.

Maybe not ride a century the day before a race? I'm very happy with my bike. I managed an average speed of 20.6 and I knocked off over 3 minutes from last years time. The pro and all the elites were actually slower this year than last and I don't think they rode a 100 miles Saturday.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Took my feet out of the shoes prior to T@ entrance, jumped off bike running, racked bike, racked helmet and ran for shoe bag. Grabbed my bag, dumped out shoes, put on hat and shoes and took off.

Nothing, I'm happy with T2 as well, I dropped almost 42 seconds from last year and was first in age group again.
Run
  • 20m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was pretty uneventful. I took off fro T2 intent on catching a few people. I passed one guy right away, looked like he cramped up off the bike and was going to have a suffer fest the rest of the way. I caught two more on the first hill. I really felt the downhill in y cut up feet and exausted quads, but I tried to keep a steady pace.
As I turned up towards the second hill, I spotted a friend ahead that has beat me in every race so far. He looked like he was slowing and I thought I might be able to catch him. This is the closest I've ever been to him in a race so I figured I'd give it a shot. I started to close on him up the hill, he was maybe 20 seconds ahead of me as I turned downhill. I tried to open up my stride and let it all fly for the final mile, but my feet and legs had other ideas. The pain and exaustion allowed him to increase his lead. Within 1/2 a mile I knew he was out of my reach, so I just settled in and pushed as hard as I could to the end. In the end, he only beat me by 13 seconds.

Stay out of the barnacles and not ride a century the day before a race :)
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, walked around and drank water while cheering on the rest of the finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the cuts on my feet and the 100 miles the day before.

Event comments:

Once again the Marines put on a great event. Other than the swim start everything went off without a hitch. One of the best races for the money on the island if you ask me.

Last updated: 2009-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:39 | 500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 52/183
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle course in bay.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:22 | 11.1 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 15/183
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two loops around the base.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 9/183
Course: Very nasty run course that loops thru housing up Radar hill, back down around the hill and then back up one mean climb before turning around and heading back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-02 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tradewinds Triathlon

2009-11-02 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2494007

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Tradewinds Triathlon

When I grow up I want to be just like you!   Seriously Mike, you are amazing ~ to take first in your AG after doing 100 miles the day before?  All I can say is you really are a STUD!!!

2009-11-02 7:37 PM

User image

Great race out there, Mike. Good luck @ Oz.
2009-11-03 11:37 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Awesome job! I wish I could have made it. It sounds like a great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tradewinds Triathlon Rss Feed