Amica
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 21s
Overall Rank = 65/100
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

I should have known that a race the day after Halloween probably wasn't a great idea. We went to bed around midnight and got up at 4 AM to get up to Lake Pleasant which is about a 75 mile drive from the house. Ate a bagle with PB&J, drank gatorade on the way and ate some yogurt when I got there. Picked up my packet a little after 6 AM. All I could think about was how cold the water was going to be with my sleeveless wetsuit. Carmen slept in the car until closer to start time.
Event warmup:

Not a whole lot, put on my running shoes and jogged around a bit, but had to stop in time to get the wetsuit on and down to the boat ramp.
Swim
  • 20m
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took one gel about 15 min prior to swim start. No timing was done for the transition, so I took my T1 time from my last race and added in ~1 minute to account for the hike up the boat ramp and the removal of the wetsuit, which got stuck around my ankles. I took this time off of my swim time. After out of the water I did manage to trot up the hill to transition where a lot of people were walking.
What would you do differently?:

Being the first race with the wetsuit and only the 3rd time I've swam in it, I think it went pretty well. Sighting was great to the 1st bouy (swimming into the sun), then between 1 and 2 I turned inside for a bit. Then between bouy #2 and the boat ramp, I turned outward a bit and then had to steer back onto course. Pretty happy with the swim overall, finally felt like I got into a decent rhythm toward the end. Splash N Dash at TTL on Friday was definitely helpful.
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

Again, no timing for transitions, so I estimated from previous T1 times and added in wetsuit removal times. I also dried off a bit with a 2nd towel since it was a bit cooler today and I didn't want to get too cool on the bike.

Not much, just need more practice getting the wetsuit off of my feet. I believe the 'timers' were recording times at your exit from transition.
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 17 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hilly course along Castle Hot Springs Road. The entire road was closed to traffic, so that was nice. Right out of transition, there was a 1 mile uphill climb and the entire course was like this. Much more technical than any other course I've ridden. In Nathans and Tempe Intl, I never even used my front shifter, but I used everything my bike had on this. There were 4 u-turns to make on the course. The road was pretty rough in spots, so that was a little uncomfortable. Passed a handful of people here and there, mostly on the downhill spots where I wasn't afraid to push it a bit. Passed one guy that apparently wore his helmet backward for the race.

Need to do more training away from flat lands.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Pretty average T2. Again, no transition split, so I just called this 2:06 (Nathan's was 2:02) so my bike avg speed would be 17 mph. :) Took one gel out of the back of my bike seat pack to down on the run. I've never taken gels with me, but I think it may have helped me, although my run split might not reflect this.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 30m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Same as the bike, the run started out with a 1 mile uphill climb. No aid station was available until the turn around point, but the road probably wouldn't allow for one anyway. I kept a pretty steady pace and only slowed down for a few seconds at the turnaround/aid station. Kept going back and forth with one lady who'd outpace me on a run and get ahead and then walk for a while and then I'd pass her. Did this several times. Finally after the uphill climb out of the turnaround point, I passed her and stayed ahead of her til the finish line. Also passed another guy on the down hill leg to the finish line, so that was nice to still be passing. My pace was slower than I would have liked, but after 17 miles of that bike course, it guess it could have been much worse.

This was a pretty rough run, so same as the bike, I need to get in some varied running paths, as hard as that is in Chandler.
Post race
Warm down:

At the finish line they handed you your finishers' medal and a bottle of water. Then I headed over to the food stand and loaded up! Hung around for some awards and then had to get out of there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hilly course was certainly a factor. However, my goal for this race was to be under 2 hrs and I made it by about 4 minutes. I also need to start working on getting my running pace up.

Event comments:

Very good race overall! Great post race food and stuff in the bag. Nice shirt and 6 cowbells for the kids to cheer with in the future.

Race photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2041157&id=1125210883&l=c2589...

Last updated: 2009-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 880 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 76/100
Performance: Good
Suit: XTERRA sleeveless
Course: Big triangle from the boat ramp. Course was different than the course shown on the website. Also, had to run up the boat ramp from water to transition. I was pretty worried about the water temp, but it actually turned out to be pretty nice. No concerns with having a sleeveless wetsuit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:03
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:00 | 17 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 60/100
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops along Castle Hot Springs Road with a 3rd short loop off to the side. According to the route I created, it had a total climb of ~3200'.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:12 | 03.11 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 71/100
Performance: Average
Course: Up out of the transition area along the same path as the bike course. At the top of the hill where bikes go down Castle Hot Springs Road, runners go straight onto a dirt road for about 0.5 miles more and then turn around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes